C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Default 6 speed shifters

Are all C5 factory 6 speed shifters the same regardless of whether they are in a coupe, convertible, or Z and regardless of whether they are mated to a MN6 or a M12? M12 have a shorter throw than MN6? Thanks! Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 06:19 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All C5 shifters are the same.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

Originally Posted by abraswell
All C5 shifters are the same.
Thanks Andrew!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not sure that is 100% correct. I've read that the Z06 shifter has bronze bushings and the others have plastic bushings. The shifter itself is the same, but if you are including the shifter base assembly, they are not.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:11 AM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I'm not sure that is 100% correct. I've read that the Z06 shifter has bronze bushings and the others have plastic bushings. The shifter itself is the same, but if you are including the shifter base assembly, they are not.
Anybody else care to weigh in on this?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I misspoke, Greg E may be correct on that. I've seen an assemly out of an '01 Z06 and it looked identicle to the one out of my '00 FRC, but maybe I didn't notice the bushings. I wouldn't consider that a substantive difference, IMO; the geometries, shaft length, etc. are the same.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 886 Likes on 609 Posts

I think what your asking is...do all c5 shifters have the same throw ratio...or are they identical when shifting the car? If that is your question...then yes. The shift ratios are the same, long and sloppy.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

The reason I ask is that I was thinking of buying a stock shifter and doing this.............what do you think?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

While that way is easier, it doesn't eliminate the cone shaped rubber piece inside the shifter, which gives it the sloppy feeling. You can also try this method, or do a search for the "Chuckster mod".

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=Greg_E
Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

I guess I'm missing something, but I don't quite see how that rubber cone piece would give it a sloppy feel.............I can't believe there's that much play in the shifter........I'm afraid if you eliminate the rubber cone piece, you'll get the noise and vibration of some of the other shifters.....what about if I cut off the top of the shaft about an inch and pin the bottom without eliminating the rubber cone..........
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

I don't have any issues with vibration or noise, but that's my car. Yours might be different. Believe me when I say the rubber insert is the reason for the sloppy feel. The +$400 Mallet shifter, (which is a modified stock shifter) that I had in the car, uses a solid billet aluminum handle and they even eliminated the lower vibration dampener. I had no problem with vibration or noise with that shifter either. You can buy a used shifter for around $20, if you shop around. Mod it the way you want. If you don't like it what did you lose?

BTW, Here is the thread I was refering to, regarding the differences between the two shifters.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...C5+Z06+Shifter

Last edited by Greg_E; 02-27-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
C5Luv'R
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 6 speed shifters

All C5 shifter are the same, EXCEPT the Z06 has bronze bushings at the upper mounts whereas the regular Corvette has rubber bushings. Internal geometry is the same making the shift throws are the same. If you remove the isolator on the shift rail, you MAY have a vibration at certain RPM. My Hurst does not have an isolator and is OK, but I have been in some cars with modified shifters that buzz at a specific RPM. That is probably why GM put the isolator in there.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have the KIRBAN Shifter. Yea it's not one of the BRAND name shifters and never has been! The funny thing about it is,,,,everyone who drives my car LOVES IT! Even if they already have one of the FAMPUS shifters.

In my opiniom, a quality aftermarket shifter has the following qualties:

Eliminates the problem of shifing into 2nd when trying to select 4th. Kirban does this by adding additional centering springs.

Provides a positive shift stop. Yea,,Yea,,,,most people say you DONT need a shifter stop. If adjusted correctly, it provides a positive IN GEAR feel.

Solid construction!

Reduced shift throw!

Its an excellent shifter with a unique and accurate shift feel. I love it!

BC
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

Originally Posted by C5Luv'R
All C5 shifter are the same, EXCEPT the Z06 has bronze bushings at the upper mounts whereas the regular Corvette has rubber bushings. Internal geometry is the same making the shift throws are the same. If you remove the isolator on the shift rail, you MAY have a vibration at certain RPM. My Hurst does not have an isolator and is OK, but I have been in some cars with modified shifters that buzz at a specific RPM. That is probably why GM put the isolator in there.
I don't quite understand where the bronze bushings are. Can someone show me a picture of them. I relate much better to pictures than I do to text......
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Aprilia1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bronze bushings refered to in the above post are located in the "shift control assembly" (language per manual) where two torx screws secure it to the driveline tunnel. These screws allow for some fore and aft adjustment and securely attach the shift control assembly to the chassis.

A C5 Z06 shift control assembly has rigid bushings between the control assembly and the two screws and a standard C5 uses rubber bushings at that point to provide additional isolation of vibration etc. The shift tower/lever assembly bolts (4) directly on top of the shift control assembly. Regardless, the shift tower/lever is the identical part in each application.

I did the conversion to the stock shifter as you are considering. Not too hard and there are a number of ways to accomplish this task. I cut and re-welded mine. After applying fresh grease to the pivot, lubing the shift control shaft and adjusting the entire assembly -- shift rod clamp bolt too -- I am pleased with the modified unit. Granted, it doesn't raise the pivot point thus IS NOT a shorter throw but, the lever is shorter and clearly travels less distance to do the same job. Works well for my needs and even planning to modify another to have a slight angle backwards which will provide the same dimensions as the C6Z06 shifter (which is also the same unit as the C5 with a shorter shift lever and slight backward angle). Topped it off with a Hurst black ball (large diameter) and find it makes all shifts very well. Properly lubed AND adjusted goes a long way in improving the shifter performance.

Please PM me if I can offer any assistance if you decide to modify your stock unit. Would also consider lending you a shortened stock shifter to see if you like the characteristics prior to modifying yours.

A1
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
Close but not quite. The shifters are all the same.

the 01 and 02 vettes all had aluminimum shifting forks for 1st and 2nd, but brass shifting forks for 3rd and up.

In 03-04 all the shifting forks were brass.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

This is my 02 ZO6 shifter housing:

As you can see, it is solid mounted without any rubber bushings.

BC
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, you been taking that thing off-road again. or is it those harsh New England winters.?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

Originally Posted by Aprilia1
Please PM me if I can offer any assistance if you decide to modify your stock unit. Would also consider lending you a shortened stock shifter to see if you like the characteristics prior to modifying yours.A1
Thanks A1.......that's a heck of a generous offer......

Get notified of new replies

To 6 speed shifters

Quick Reply: 6 speed shifters