C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Motor Removal Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 AM
YearOneC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrtrip75
Nice thread.... but any pics of what position/how to put it back together in?
This is the "adjustment" I was referring to in your other thread. Thanks to Bville-Bud, we have these awesome photos to reference.

You don't have to pull the whole motor out, just adjust where the gears line up. The bolt circled holds the gear in place IIRC. You will have to use trial and error to find the right spot lined up.

Name:  PostScrew_sm.jpg
Views: 5911
Size:  93.1 KB
Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

post #15 covers the synch

just got a PM on this, OUTSTANDING INFO here on basic C5 maint. procedures
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are a couple of pics I dug out of my file that I got from someone's post a good while back, that may help some on syncing the wipers. As I said earlier, if your wipers are working, but not correctly, they are just out of sync & need adjusting. How they get out of sync , I don't know. The only srew you have to take out is the center torx screw, then lift up & adjust. Line it up exactly as it is in the pic.
Hope this helps
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
LatinHeat33
Heel & Toe

Good day guys! I've been trying to locate the small puller used to remove the wiper arms but nobody seems to carry it; do you have any idea where I can order that puller? I've been to Autozone, O'riely's, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, I even tried Home Depot. Please help, thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinHeat33
Good day guys! I've been trying to locate the small puller used to remove the wiper arms but nobody seems to carry it; do you have any idea where I can order that puller? I've been to Autozone, O'riely's, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, I even tried Home Depot. Please help, thanks.
google battery terminal puller. thats what i use and be sure to put penetrating oil on it. i let mine soak for 30 minutes and it popped off with just my hands
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
LatinHeat33
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info rustyguns, gonna try that now. God Bless!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 PM
msu-dawg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default reinstallation process

My wipers recently started going nuts and this info helped make the repair process a lot easier. Thanks to all who have contributed the great photos and info.

I ended up swapping my motor out with a reman unit from Autozone. It was worth the $60 for me to know it was going to stay fixed after I put it all back together.

As far as the process of putting everything back I thought I'd share what I did to get everything lined up properly. It seemed to work pretty well.

It should be noted that since my wipers would not shut off, they WERE NOT in the park position when I did the swap. As such, the hub of my drive link (the piece that bolts to the motor shaft) looked like the first picture in post #43 above.

1. I attached the rubber rain shield and its metal bracket to the new motor.
2. I put the motor in place and connected the electrical connector
3. I put the wiper actuator assembly back in position.
4. I reattached the motor to the bottom of the actuator assembly using the three T30 screws.
5. I reattached the actuator assembly to the car using the three 10mm screws.
6. With the drive link NOT attached to the motor, turn the ignition on and set the wiper stalk to intermittent. Allow the motor to make a full cycle and come to a stop and then turn the key off.
7. Position the drive link hub onto the motor shaft so that the parking prawl is right next to the park stop (again, see photos by tracer1 in post #43)
8. Install the T30 machine screw into the motor shaft to lock the drive link into place.
9. WITH THE WIPER ARMS STILL NOT INSTALLED, turn the ignition on and then turn the wiper control lever to OFF. This will cause the motor to run in reverse momentarily. The parking prawl against the park stop will cause the drive link hub to position itself as shown in the second picture of post #43 and this is the park position. Turn ignition off.
10. Reinstall the plastic vent screen piece.
11. Reinstall wiper arms on their respective drive posts IN THE PARK POSITION RESTING ON THE PLASTIC PARK BUMPERS.

After performing this procedure my wipers worked flawlessly. I hope my instructions are clear and maybe helpful to someone.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 AM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good Job.....

tracer1
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
vetteboy850
Instructor

I love this site! this just helped me fix mine today!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
XB12R
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by VETTHOG
I don't think they go to the park position, they just cycle and slam against the stops. They wont go to the park position no mater where I put the wipers. Another funny thing is when the delay is on, they pause in the middle of their travel for a second then start moving again
It sounds like you have the cam out of time and the parking pawl may be damaged. I'm having a similar issue on mine right now. I had to adjust my cam 180 out in order for the arms to be parked in the down position when off. When in delay mode, they pause in the up position.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM
SPS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great write up. Seven years later and it is still helping people out! The other day, my wipers started up on their own, and would not stop. First I pulled the switch on the steering column --- wipers still ran with the switch unplugged --- so the switch was not the problem according to the manual. Service manual says there then are several possible wiring shorts, or else its a bad motor. Not sure I did all the wiring checks for shorts right, but when I pulled the motor, it had a bit of water in it. Dryed it out (new gasketing), put it back in, and I'm good to go. The only thing I would add for the next guy, is before you pull the torx screw on the motor output shaft (figure 10) , get a marker, and mark on the bracket exactly where the output bracket is located. Even better, before pulling the wiper arms, put a couple pieces of masking tape on the windshield, and mark exactly where the wiper arms are pointing. And like 995 said, on that center torx, first back it out a few turns, then give it a whack to break the connection free.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM
magutierrez
Cruising

Default The top plastic

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
I had to replace my wiper motor, and thought I’d post my procedures. I’ll post up the pictures tonight. The whole process wasn’t very hard, but the wiper arms were a real bear to get off the arm studs.

Tools Needed:

Hammer
Needle Nose Pliers
Small Common Screwdriver
Regular Common Screwdriver
T20 Torx
T30 Torx
Small Puller (I used a battery terminal puller)
Ratchet
Socket (10 MM Metric)
Socket (1/2 SAE)
5 inch extension

Parts Needed:
Wiper Motor

Removal
1. Remove 25 amp windshield wiper fuse (fuse 10) in the passenger’s side fuse box.

2. Disconnect the windshield washer hoses from the wiper arms.

3. Remove screen tray connectors by prying the center the center section of the connector with a small screwdriver; this center section spreads the connector feet keeping the connector locked in. Take needle nose pliers and remove the outer casing.

4. Use a small screwdriver and remove windshield wiper arm nut caps. Use caution not to mar the wiper blade finish. The nut is very tight, penetrating oil sprayed onto the connecting nut will facilitate the nut removal. Remove the ½ nut underneath the cover.

5. Remove the wiper arm by using small puller, to press the wiper stud and pull up the wiper arm.

6. Carefully pull the wiper valley cover tray away from the windshield, start by pulling the corners free, where there is very little clearance between the windshield and the top corner of the fenders. Work from the corners to the center section.

7. Flip the cover over and rest on top of engine, be careful not to break the washer hose etc. This will expose the wiper transmission linkage, and the wiper motor attached to the linkage in the drivers corner of the wiper valley.

8. Remove the two 10 MM wiper transmission bolts on driver’s side.

9. Remove the 10 MM wiper transmission bolt on passenger side.

10. Remove the T30 Torx screw and lift the motor arm that connects the wiper transmission to the top of the motor.

11. Remove the three T30 Torx screws that hold the motor to the wiper transmission.

12. Carefully work the transmission free to expose the wiper motor, and move away from wiper valley. Use care not to damage the transmission arms during removal or storage.

13. Take wiper motor out of valley and turn the motor over, use a small common screwdriver to depress the locking catch, and remove the electrical plug from the motor.

14. Clean any debris out of the three rubber drain channels (udders).

15. Remove T20 Torx screw, and separate the wiper motor plate and rubber shield from the wiper motor.
How do you remove the top plastic cover. i noticed in the pictures when u started it was already off. does it require some screw or bolts to be removed, or does it just pop off?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:57 PM
stevenh1
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tracer1
Nothing wrong with the wiper motor, just out of sync....easy fix.
What is that easy fix, because mine are doing the very same thing.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Hunter34
7th Gear

my wiper motor or something in there is making a humming noise when the key is on/car is running but when I turn the wipers on the noise stops. Dose any one have any idea what this might be and how to fix it? Thanks

Last edited by Hunter34; 10-27-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadTom
Great job and damn well documented .

Did you modified the outlet of the three udders? Imo they are miserable constructed.
My wiper motor was awash and I found the three rubber drain channels (udders) blocked with mud and leaves. The lower port of the udders are miserable constructed.
I enlarged the outlet yesterday. Now the water and dirt will be will be sluiced down.

Tom
I cut the bottom of the udders,,mine was also full of leaves bugs etc lol so cut the udders wont hurt anything in the car regards
Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by Hunter34
my wiper motor or something in there is making a humming noise when the key is on/car is running but when I turn the wipers on the noise stops. Dose any one have any idea what this might be and how to fix it? Thanks
I had that sound like you describe in my 97 ,,its the sound of the wiper motor is failing maybe your udders got clogged like mine after replace wiper motor and the first rain shower kaboom wiper motor got broken,,clean udders cut the bottom reinstall a new wiper motor and that's it advance auto parts,,autozone,,have it for 55$ o 60$ cheap,,i replaced mine today,,it was full of water of course if it get water will work bad,,good luck,,,i would like to help people with this problem just for fun no for money I live in Miami lol that's the bad thing if somebody lives out of here lol and have this issue
Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Hunter34
7th Gear

Is the motor it self only 60 bucks? And was it pretty painless?

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Motor Removal Procedures

Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by Hunter34
Is the motor it self only 60 bucks? And was it pretty painless?
Yess ..it was only 60 bucks giving my old wiper motor like a core...and painless job i did it in half hour ...
Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Hunter34
7th Gear

Thanks man that helps a lot!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:36 AM
nnicholas
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but may be someone can help. After reading this thread I am at the step where I run the wiper on low and watch the cam go in a clockwise motion. When I cut the wipers off the cam does not stop and go in a counter clock wise motion but stops after a second. Ran the car thru a car wash last week and this is when the problem started. The utters are half filled up with leaves. could the motor have shorted out and cause the cam not to go in the counter clockwise motion. The wipers just stop just at the bottom of the windshield. the notch on the cam is locked in with the pin at 12 o'clock. I turned the key on and moved the cam in the exact position as in the photo, but when I turned on the wiper the notch clicked into the pin and remained in the 12 o'clock position after I turned the wipers off. Any help would be appreciated.

Nick
Hampton VA

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor Removal Procedures