C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musty Smell coming from AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
tac4005
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Musty Smell coming from AC

It's HOT here in Arizona and lately there is a musty smell coming from the AC, but not all the time. Since there is no cabin filter to replace I bought a aerosol for $8.99 to kill the odors. I used it per directions ( spray in fresh air vent under the hood at windshield and into vents in the cabin) , but the smell comes back. Looking for suggestions...
Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tac4005
It's HOT here in Arizona and lately there is a musty smell coming from the AC, but not all the time. Since there is no cabin filter to replace I bought a aerosol for $8.99 to kill the odors. I used it per directions ( spray in fresh air vent under the hood at windshield and into vents in the cabin) , but the smell comes back. Looking for suggestions...
If you use the Recirculation button all the time, that will only recirculate the air in the cabin and after time it will create a musty smell. Mold and what not can form from moisture that builds up in the ducting and vent system.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You have mold groing in there. Need something to get the mold out and clean those ducts.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
tac4005
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown 346
If you use the Recirculation button all the time, that will only recirculate the air in the cabin and after time it will create a musty smell. Mold and what not can form from moisture that builds up in the ducting and vent system.
I do use the fresh air intake as well, and the musty smell is still there. How would you suggest I physically clean the venting system?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Theres a well below the drivers side cowl. It has three udder type drains. If the drains clogg it can grow mold, slime, and the decaying crap in the well will stink. Check that area for nasty crap and clogged drains:

Clean out the well and see if that helps.

BC
Old 06-26-2007, 11:05 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a search for "udders"
Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default try this?

Originally Posted by tac4005
I know this may sound REEEAALLLY stupid but, for years I have had GM A/C's and usually I will turn off the A/C compressor about five minutes prior to my destination. This warms the A/C heat exchanger in your system and will also dry it out. I usually do that in my MOPAR company car and it works great, no musty smell EVER! If you try it let me know either way and good luck and happy trails!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 AM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I sprayed pure isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) directly in the A/C intake. I removed the inlet screen so I could spray more directly. This has eliminated the smell in my car. I used the whole bottle, a pint I think.

Get notified of new replies

To Musty Smell coming from AC

Quick Reply: Musty Smell coming from AC