C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Control Module (BCM) Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 PM
day3165
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body Control Module (BCM) Cost?

My dealer is telling me the BCM is bad on my 2000 vert. He says the module costs about $800, plus $200 to install.
Does this sound right? Is this a difficult part to install? Don't you just remove the old module and replace with new?
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look over on "That" auction and search in auto parts for a Corvette body control module. There's one for sale for a '99, $20.00, says the list price was under $400. Don't know if the '00 uses the same part or not. Check the part number for the '00 against the one on the auction. If they're the same, maybe you make out.

Charlie
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

I just looked it up on www.gmpartshouse.com, MSRP for that module is $368.48, your discounted price is $233.98.

This is a brand new GM part and GMpartshouse is associated with Lankford Buick-Pontiac-GMC (A GM dealership )
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Dug around a little more and the dealer you took the car to seems either to be incompetent or think you are not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. Either way, it sounds like time to vote with your feet. And then check out Gene Culley here on the forum, a supporting vendor and someone with a long history (when his prior employment is included) of treating forum members well.

D'oh. If I read other posts, I learn a lot. . www.gmpartshouse IS Gene Culley. Comments about how he treats forum members still apply.

Charlie

Last edited by cruisemon; 07-25-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:53 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it out yourself and send it in to get fixed.....check out absfixer.com

I need to fix the same thing....its common
Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like your dealer is more interested in relieving you of cash!!! What are the problems that your having that makes them think you have a BCM issue??????

Please list the DTC's and symptoms and I will try to help you.

Here is a good website that will help you read your DTC's:

This is the absolute best C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) web site!!!

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/Code_Main.html
http://www.corvettedoctor.com/index.html

www.corvettedoctor.com

Go to “technical data base” and then to “Corvette ECM Computer Codes”. Then select your year car. Read the instructions and then scroll down to the "READ MORE" window to view the code definitions.\

Here is another very good site:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!

I replaced my BCM in my 98 coupe and got the new one from Gene (when he worked at the other place) and had the dealer install/program it for me. They charger me ONE hour labor. At the time I did the repair it was $77./hr. If there charging you $200 to install a BCM, their either CROOKS or IDIOTS or BOTH!!

Put them on you DO NOT USE list and either fix the car yourself (we can help you do it ) or find another dealer!

Bill C
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for the plug guys. I'll take care of you.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Gene

We all know that!!! Thats why we plug you!!! Your the bestest man! Great service, excellent prices, and outstanging new letters.

Keep up the good work!!!

Bill C
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by triche
take it out yourself and send it in to get fixed.....check out absfixer.com

I need to fix the same thing....its common
ABSfixer can't fix a failing Body Control Module (BCM). They fix the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module).

This is, of course, assuming the OP was correct when he said it was his "BCM" .... given the quoted price he MAY have meant the EBCM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
ABSfixer can't fix a failing Body Control Module (BCM). They fix the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module).

This is, of course, assuming the OP was correct when he said it was his "BCM" .... given the quoted price he MAY have meant the EBCM.
You may be right
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a BCM for a 2000 that I will sell you for $100. You do have to have it programed. You have to pair it with the PCM or the car will not run. ( theft deterent ) That is also where you put all of your RPO codes. ( electric seats. telescoping steering wheel. seat memory etc. )
Any one with a Tech II can program it. I had the local speed shop do mine for $75. You might make some phone calls in you area otherwise, you will have to have the dealer do it.

The reason I have a spare BCM is that the dealer told me that I had to replace it to fix my column lock problem. They quoted me around $600 to do this. Well I bought one on line and had it programed but it did not fix the column lock problem. Turned out to be a bad realy from a previous column lock recall in the steering column. I should not have beleived the dealer and looked further into it myself. Lesson learned.

Anyway that is why I have a spare 2000 BCM. Let me know if you want it.

Reb
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlackZ06

Maybe Gene can jump back in here but I think the EBCM sells for about $300 from a "friendly" supplier (maybe $350). I think the list price is about $500 but don't know for sure. Does anyone know if the EBCM has to be programmed? If not, installation seems to be little more than a simple remove and replace. It really seems like the dealer the OP spoke with is either misinformed or seriously hosing the owner.

Charlie
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Gene

We all know that!!! Thats why we plug you!!! Your the bestest man! Great service, excellent prices, and outstanging new letters.

Keep up the good work!!!

Bill C
Thanks Bill,

That was quite nice of you.

Gene.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:29 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Thanks Bill,

That was quite nice of you.

Gene.
Gene

I bought my unit from Gene at 200. plus and paid 60.00 to install and program. Always great prices on a new parts from Gene. The bcm unit gone wet from a drain backup on the pass side. It fried the unit and my car sat.

i
Old 07-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The BCM, PCM and the SIR modules need to programed/synced. All the other modules are basically plug and play.

Yes, the EBTCM is a plug and play. Thats why it pisses me off when the dealers charge an arm and a leg to install one!

Name:  C5FrontMountEBTCM.jpg
Views: 3554
Size:  183.9 KB

Name:  C5EBTCMback.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  C5EBTCMfront.jpg
Views: 2545
Size:  99.5 KB

Its six damn screws and two connectors! Buy it from Gene and install it your self and save a ton of cash!!!

The BCM is also easy! $200 and some change and three connectors. Theres even a secret procedure (its not really a secret ) that will allow you to sync your BCM to the PCM and get you to the dealer.

Name:  C5BCMinternalpicsfront2.jpg
Views: 3221
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  C5BCMinternalpicturesback1.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  123.3 KB

You either need to find someone that has a TECH II or take it to the dealer to have the options (if you have any) programmed into the BCM (things like F-45, F-55, Twilight Sentinel, TPS if you have a ZO6 ect.....

Programming the BCM takes 10-20 min! Removing it and reinstalling it takes 5 min, maybe 10 if you never done it before.

$200 to install and program a BCM.

Hope all this brings some things to light and eases the fears of some people so that they feel better about fixing their own stuff.

Oh,,,here is the sync procedure:

BCM/PCM RELEARN PROCEDURE

You will need to conduct the PCM/BCM relearn process. This matches their handshake Id's and allows them to talk to each other.

Do this before you worry about VATS issues:

1. Turn on the key for 11 minutes.
2 Turn off the key for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat 1&2 two more times.
4. Turn on the key for 30 seconds.

The car should start and run with the new BCM. Good luck and report back on your progress.
Shirl
SD Racing Enterprises
Aguila, AZ
Courtesy of MrEracer

This will sync the PCM to the New BCM but all of your RPO options will not be retained. You will need a TECH II to program them into the new BCM.

Bill C
Old 07-27-2007, 03:05 PM
day3165
Instructor

Bill, Thank you for all of the great info! I got lucky on this one... my extended warranty covered the BCM replacement
Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Hankwjr
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RobertEarl
I have a BCM for a 2000 that I will sell you for $100. You do have to have it programed. You have to pair it with the PCM or the car will not run. ( theft deterent ) That is also where you put all of your RPO codes. ( electric seats. telescoping steering wheel. seat memory etc. )
Any one with a Tech II can program it. I had the local speed shop do mine for $75. You might make some phone calls in you area otherwise, you will have to have the dealer do it.

The reason I have a spare BCM is that the dealer told me that I had to replace it to fix my column lock problem. They quoted me around $600 to do this. Well I bought one on line and had it programed but it did not fix the column lock problem. Turned out to be a bad realy from a previous column lock recall in the steering column. I should not have beleived the dealer and looked further into it myself. Lesson learned.

Anyway that is why I have a spare 2000 BCM. Let me know if you want it.

Reb
I have a 1999 C5 coupe.
Car starts then shuts off. I replaced the PCM. And was flashed. But the car still does the same thing. Starts and shuts off. Now I'm told I need a bcm computer. Is yours still for sale? Will it work on my 1999 c5. Signed broke. Lol hankwjr@hotmail.com

Get notified of new replies

To Body Control Module (BCM) Cost?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hankwjr
I have a 1999 C5 coupe. Car starts then shuts off. I replaced the PCM. And was flashed. But the car still does the same thing. Starts and shuts off. Now I'm told I need a bcm computer. Is yours still for sale? Will it work on my 1999 c5. Signed broke. Lol hankwjr@hotmail.com
I would contact gene cully as posted above for any problems he will help u out with everything u need and also give u a great price

Sent from my iPhone
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (06-13-2018)
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Hankwjr
I have a 1999 C5 coupe.
Car starts then shuts off. I replaced the PCM. And was flashed. But the car still does the same thing. Starts and shuts off. Now I'm told I need a bcm computer. Is yours still for sale? Will it work on my 1999 c5. Signed broke. Lol hankwjr@hotmail.com
I doubt he still has it as he posted that six years ago...
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (06-13-2018)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I doubt he still has it as he posted that six years ago...
:leavin g:

Quick Reply: Body Control Module (BCM) Cost?