C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 headlight bulb replacement?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
rare-72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 headlight bulb replacement?

I just want to upgrade from my original headlight bulbs to Silverstar Ultras. How do you get to the bulbs to replace them?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:56 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You'll get three suggestions

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

The one that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

10 minute job.

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM
rare-72
Racer

Originally Posted by DeeGee

Go in through the brake ducts - not easy with a Z06 or if you have screens

Go in through the bottom by taking out the bottom panel

Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

10 minute job.

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access. Guys with even bigger arms have had to take off the headlight cover. Four torx screws (2 back, 1 each side). Take the back ones off first with the lamps down. Raise the lights and take the side ones out.
I should have changed them when I installed my clear corners. Anyway, it doesn't sound too hard. If it makes enough of a difference, i'll do the driving lights too. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

You won't get much of an improvement with silverstars.

Go with the HID replacement and you'll get a huge difference and you will be able to see alot better.

I went the silverstar route ... but was disappointed.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Big hands are NOT a BONUS

Tried replacing my low and high beams when I first got the C5. Was a TWO DAY JOB. Couldn't see or feel the correct position trying to reinsert the bulbs and sockets and managed to bend the somewhat fragile aluminium prongs holding the sockets to the lamp assembly.
Had to get my shop manuals out and DISASSEMBLE the housing to get to the bent sockets. Pulled them out and rebent the prongs with a pair of needle nose pliers. What a PITA. Have changed bulbs on countless cars and never had such a tough time as with the vette.
A cheap and good modification to lighting is replacing the 889 or 893 low wattage fog lamp bulbs with 885 50 W bulbs. Cost me about $1 a bulb and then you re-aim the lights by parking about 15 to 20 feet in front of a garage door or similar wall. You will get a lot more light using your low beams with the fogs. Been using them for over 2 years now and the 885s cause no problems. Used the headlights as a guide and have never been flashed when using the fogs so they are not searchlights.
BIGHANK
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess my small hands came in handy again. I just opened the hood and was able to reach in the gap.
The following users liked this post:
AJ Powers (10-04-2023)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Amaru
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeeGee

10 minute job.

Thanks. Not hard at all. Removing the headlight cover let me see what I was doing better.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Darrell98
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with PIAA bulbs, low and high beams. Xtreme white plus. Big improvement
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have in installed both upper and lower Silver Stars and feel they do a very good job. Most importantly, do not touch the bulbs with bare hands.I found latex gloves were very helpful in installing them. Bare hands excrete oils and acids that are harmful to the life of the Silver Stars. Trust me !
Old 05-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Silverstars do burn brighter than stock, but that comes from overtaxing the filament, so expect about six months to a year of life from them.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Bulb life depends on the amount of use. I do not drive a lot at night, sooo mine are about 6 year sold.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I also used piaa bulbs with some improvement. Like big hank, (I have big, fat, wide hands) I too also thought the bulb changeout was a huge pita...even when removing the black trim ring.

With my bad night vision, I finally installed a set of 110w piaa driving lights in the front license plate area. I need all the help I can get.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs. Big improvement over the oem bulbs, all four cost about $100 total.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrell98
I went with PIAA bulbs, low and high beams. Xtreme white plus. Big improvement
Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
The Silverstars do burn brighter than stock, but that comes from overtaxing the filament, so expect about six months to a year of life from them.

It's the price you pay for a brighter burning bulb. Compared to the normal halogen bulbs, they have a life span that is about 10 times less. So, use them sparingly.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also wanted better lighting, so a few weeks ago I put 9006 HID conversion in my low beams. I took the whole bucket assemblies out so that I could lube and free-up my (4) seized/tight adjusters at the same time.
The combination of HID and smooth adjusters has made an incredible difference.... Literally a night & day difference!

If I were you I'd set out to do more than just silverstars - - that improvement is probably only slight and they didn't last that long on one of our previous cars....
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Ge2002
2nd Gear

I had new Silverstars installed by a Vette mechanic. They light but one aims at the ground about 20 feet in front of the car, the other (right one) aims about 5 feet in front. Low beams (stock) are fine. Anyone help me as to why or how to fix?
Ge 2002

Get notified of new replies

To C5 headlight bulb replacement?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can do a search on the internet to find how to adjust the lights. it might require some lubing on the adjustors first so you do no damage.

Before that though, knowing the tight fit just to get the bulbs in you might want to dbl check to see if the low bulb was not quite installed all the way in correctly. Mine had the short issue and I found the bulb was not in the slots correctly.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Before that though, knowing the tight fit just to get the bulbs in you might want to dbl check to see if the low bulb was not quite installed all the way in correctly. Mine had the short issue and I found the bulb was not in the slots correctly.
Had the same issue after I first installed my new bulbs. Getting them seated properly can be tough because room for your hand is very limited.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:30 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by The Big Guy
I have in installed both upper and lower Silver Stars and feel they do a very good job. Most importantly, do not touch the bulbs with bare hands.I found latex gloves were very helpful in installing them. Bare hands excrete oils and acids that are harmful to the life of the Silver Stars. Trust me !

I went with the SilverStars several years ago, before I retired, and I used to leave for work when it was still dark. I found them to be a decent upgrade, but since I retired, I hardly ever have the car out in the dark anymore, so I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of $$$ on headlights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 headlight bulb replacement?