C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing AIR system

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
BigSexy181971
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much weight is saved with removing the system?

Also, where is the pump located and do you need a shorter belt or is the pump electrical only?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigSexy181971
Also, where is the pump located and do you need a shorter belt or is the pump electrical only?
I've heard 10-15lbs. Doesn't run on a belt, so that's not an issue.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The "ELECTRIC" pump is below the drivers headlight:

Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
I've heard 10-15lbs. Doesn't run on a belt, so that's not an issue.
10 - 15lbs - That's what I heard too, and boy was I disappointed when I took mine off today. The blasted thing is only plastic and probably doesn't weigh 2 lbs. Even with all the other piping, valving, and hoses I took off with it, I don't think I made 5 lbs. Oh well, now I can almost change plugs blind folded it's so easy.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
gsxrjack
Burning Brakes

I just installed headers and am planning to get rid of the air system also...couple of questions:

can i just remove/cut the rubber hose off the drivers side...I really dont feel like taking my intake off to get to the rear clamp....I will just use a pipe cutter to remove as much as i can for the passenger side.

2...can I use 1/4" aluminum for the blank-off plate on the header (i can get 1/8" stainless but would like to keep it light if i can...

I also will be deleting out the air system in the computor ..

thanks
Jack
Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, block plates, rip all that useless crap out
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gsxrjack
I just installed headers and am planning to get rid of the air system also...couple of questions:

can i just remove/cut the rubber hose off the drivers side...I really dont feel like taking my intake off to get to the rear clamp....I will just use a pipe cutter to remove as much as i can for the passenger side.

You can, but all it takes is a long screw driver to undo the little plastic clamp and you can pull the whole drivers side off without much effort.
2...can I use 1/4" aluminum for the blank-off plate on the header (i can get 1/8" stainless but would like to keep it light if i can...

[I]Oh come on, use the stainless! That amount of weight difference isn't going to slow you down.[/I]I also will be deleting out the air system in the computor ..

thanks
Jack
CCCCC
Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM
gsxrjack
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Last C5
CCCCC
Originally Posted by gsxrjack

You can, but all it takes is a long screw driver to undo the little plastic clamp and you can pull the whole drivers side off without much effort.

Oh come on, use the stainless! That amount of weight difference isn't going to slow you down.I also will be deleting out the air system in the computor ..

thanks
Jack

was more concerned about the weight on the header pipe, I had read that some people's air tube cracked on the header....

I will see if i can get that clamp with a long screwdriver...

thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

"was more concerned about the weight on the header pipe, I had read that some people's air tube cracked on the header"

I read that too. I don't think it was the cap's weight that caused the crack. Some headers crack or blow that air tube off without any additional weight on it beyond the factory piping that's attached. A couple grams one way or the other isn't going to affect that tube if it's properly welded in the first place. My $0.02. Aluminum will work fine, I was just thinking the stainless would expand and contract less.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How do i remove the AIR tube on the passenger side, the hard metal pipe, looks like it runs way back behind the intake?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I ended up pulling the maniold to fully remove the AIR system from my car. I have Kooks race headers w/o any air tubes... makes for a very clean look.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
How do i remove the AIR tube on the passenger side, the hard metal pipe, looks like it runs way back behind the intake?

You need to hire a 3 year old with skinney hands to reach back behind the head and loosen the bolt:

Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Good pics Bill
Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

dang I'll never get back there without pulling the intake, lol.

BTW, can you remove the air pump from under the car or do you have to pull the headlight?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
dang I'll never get back there without pulling the intake, lol.

BTW, can you remove the air pump from under the car or do you have to pull the headlight?
Thanks STEVEN!

VIPERBLUELX

You remove the AIR Pump from under the Car. You remove the drivers side facia close out panel and the pump is right there! Jack the car and remove about 8 screws on the panel.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Twospeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been following this post , and here is what does not add up. I've also herd that if you remove the air fitting from the header risers that they can crack the welds at the point where the AIR Tube is joined to the header tube. But it does not make sense. A block off plate will not weigh even close to an ounce, especially if you fab one out of aluminum. The steel AIR fittings are much more heavier that that. I removed the passengers side air fitting and replaced it with one that is shorter and bent differently to allow more room on that side to remote mount coils. there was a difference in weight. With the AIR fittings and strain from the attached hoses there has got to be more overall strain/weight on where the AIR fitting is welded to the header tube with the stock set up. The only difference would be the with a heavy block off plate the AIR tube would tend to vibrate because it would only be connected on one end and the vibration might cause cracks in the weld area if that original weld was done too hot and the surrounding area became crystallized during the welding process. This is quite possible and happens more times that folks know. That could be the reason that when this does happen people get them re-welded and don't have any problems after the re-weld process.
I also remember someone posting on the other site that they weighed their set up after removal and it weighed in at 14 lbs, which included the Pump, bolts, hoses, AIR fittings, Check valves, and wire harness etc. Sorry I went so long.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Aluminum will work fine, I was just thinking the stainless would expand and contract less.
In an ideal situation, you should always use the same material. If the headers are stainless, use stainless. If steel, use steel. This way, the thermal expansion of the joints is matched, so you don't have to worry about leaks or loosing fasteners.

That's in theory. In reality, for this situation, I don't think it makes much of a difference at all. Aluminum should be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing AIR system

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Is the harness I circled the harness for the AIR pump? I didn't want to remove the pump so I just unplugged this harness and now I'm getting ABS/Traction control service warnings?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Nithros
St. Jude Partner since 89
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I weighed everything I took off of mine for the air pump at 8 pounds. I got the passenger side metallic air hose unbolted but then couldn't get it wiggled out due to the factory bends in it. Mr Hacksaw fixed that real good...
Old 10-18-2008, 02:12 PM
golfinz
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just installed ARH race headers and I just removed the AIR fuse in the engine bay. I plan on taking the system out, I just did that so I know the pump won't turn on. Its fuse #50 btw.

Quick Reply: Removing AIR system