C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Cost Effective LS1 Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Just get a custom tune and don't waste your money on a Mail Order or Hand Held.

I have installed a few LG Streets and IMHO its the best header for the money. Fit and Finish are great. You should include the X pipe for a 100% bolt on install. If you do the off road pipe you'll need to have the rear O2s tuned out.

Budget is always considered. If budget were truely no problem then a LS2 or LS3 402-416 dry sump create motor, darton sleeves, forged internals by a great builder. ~ 500-550 hp at $12-$14,000. Plus an additional $10K for other upgrades.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

CAI, Long Tubes, X pipe, no cats or hi flow cats, and a tune. Save your money on the cat back. Won't gain much if anything. The factory exhaust isn't restrictive.

These mods will also compliment any future mods you do in the future. Like a FAST 90/92 intake, larger throttle body, heads, cam.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
No you do not have to pull the motor for header install.They just covered header and Hi-flow cats install in the September issue of Corvette Fever (just delivered in the mail a couple of weeks ago). Seems headers run around $1500 + or - a couple hundred (from what I read here on the forum) Don't know much about them and tuners as mine is pretty much stock(I do follow a lot of this stuff here though) I'm sure there will be a lot more jump in soon!!

I agree. Be advised however, that with any sort of high-flow exhaust AND headers, car will be VERY loud. If that's not what you're looking for, keep your eyes out for a Z06 TI exhaust. Combined with headers it sounds good but won't rattle windows six blocks away.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,112 Likes on 986 Posts

Forgot earlier Switch to an LS6 intake. You can pick it up for about $300 and it's an easy job.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
CAI, Long Tubes, X pipe, no cats or hi flow cats, and a tune. Save your money on the cat back. Won't gain much if anything. The factory exhaust isn't restrictive.

These mods will also compliment any future mods you do in the future. Like a FAST 90/92 intake, larger throttle body, heads, cam.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
"The factory exhaust isn't restrictive" - OMG are you kidding

What part of this factory exhaust muffler do you say is "NOT" Restrictive? :
Name:  Stock_Muffler.jpg
Views: 8762
Size:  88.9 KB
1. the part that goes from 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" pinched pipe or
2. where it hits a WALL and then goes into a chamber
3. keep looking and you'll see more

The factory exhaust is restrictive and you will gain extra HP and TQ from a change

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
"The factory exhaust isn't restrictive" - OMG are you kidding

What part of this factory exhaust muffler do you say is "NOT" Restrictive? :

1. the part that goes from 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" pinched pipe or
2. where it hits a WALL and then goes into a chamber
3. keep looking and you'll see more

The factory exhaust is restrictive and you will gain extra HP and TQ from a change

Thanks,Matt
After market cat back systems gain very little if anything. Sorry but that's the way it is. After Market make more noise than power. GM designed the system very well. Search is your friend.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:55 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^ I agree... Axle back does absolutely nothing without FI or internal mods. On the dyno you may see 1HP if you're lucky, but the butt-dyno won't see a change at all.

Heads/Cam the LG big 3 only saw 10hp. So the axle back is a waste of money without big mods.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:31 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
^^^ I agree... Axle back does absolutely nothing without FI or internal mods. On the dyno you may see 1HP if you're lucky, but the butt-dyno won't see a change at all.

Heads/Cam the LG big 3 only saw 10hp. So the axle back is a waste of money without big mods.

I had bolt-ons and had the car dynoed before and after cat-back exhaust change. Gained nothing from the cat-back. Didn't feel anything different. Just sounded MUCH better. Now on my ZR-1 that car needed the cat-back. I could feel the difference in that car. Cat-back was restrictive in the ZR-1.

So no need to change it unless you want better sound. All that was mentioned above will get you to 400hp crank as you want. Not a bad idea to change to the LS-6 intake if you have a 1997-2000 LS-1. But if I were you, I would spend another couple hundred and get a dyno tune if possible. If that's not possible, then maybe for $499.00 buy Hptuners or another tuning software and tune it yourself. With those minimal mods the tune wouldn't be that hard to do yourself. Just do some reading and learn how to use it. Great for future mods. Saves $$$$ if you are going to mod in the future. These tuning costs add up.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Something else to think about. STOCK engines that have never been opened up will last longer.

any engine that is opened up, for heads, cam or what ever, will need to be opened up in the not to near future to be refreshed. That is a fact of engine life.

when one starts looking at $6,000 or more in engine mods, well LS6 and LS2 create motors can be had for that amount. Or an LS3 create with GM HOT cam for not much more. 480 hp 475tq

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1224&engCat=ls
Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I personally don't know anything about tuning. I understand what they're doing, but wouldn't know what I was doing if I saw it. I know some seriously talented guys that tune LSx motors so well, it boggles your mind. They eat, drink and sleep LSx tunes. As far as I'm concerned, as long as these guys are alive, I'll never tune my car myself!

As for what Au N Egl said, I have to agree. GM's build of the motor is pretty much perfect. If you can avoid going INTO the motor, do it. The second you open it up, random weirdness starts happening. Without pulling apart and LS1 or LS6, you can make 500 to the ground pretty safely (assuming you have a good tune). I know the internals are usually good for 550RWHP if you have a spot on tune. I've heard of people going WAY over that, but I'm not going to push my LS6. 490-500 to the ground is all I need.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 PM
D Baize
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the Borla cat-back be less restrictive for the OP?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
After market cat back systems gain very little if anything. Sorry but that's the way it is. After Market make more noise than power. GM designed the system very well. Search is your friend.
Interesting 'cause that thing sure does LOOK restrictive. I have a cat-back on my C5-- sounds great, runs great -- but it was there when I bought it. I added a high-quality expensive cat-back to my C4 LT1 (known to be a good-flowing stock exhaust) and felt no improvement...probably not all that relevant to a C5, though...

I have seen some tests which LOOKED legit where the cat-back helped the C5, but I've seen others where it did not. FWIW, the C6 benefits 6HP with the optional free-flowing exhaust http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem...tte/index.html so I bet a good exhaust does that, and no more, for the C5 as well.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

I personally don't know anything about tuning. I understand what they're doing, but wouldn't know what I was doing if I saw it. I know some seriously talented guys that tune LSx motors so well, it boggles your mind. They eat, drink and sleep LSx tunes. As far as I'm concerned, as long as these guys are alive, I'll never tune my car myself!

As for what Au N Egl said, I have to agree. GM's build of the motor is pretty much perfect. If you can avoid going INTO the motor, do it. The second you open it up, random weirdness starts happening. Without pulling apart and LS1 or LS6, you can make 500 to the ground pretty safely (assuming you have a good tune). I know the internals are usually good for 550RWHP if you have a spot on tune. I've heard of people going WAY over that, but I'm not going to push my LS6. 490-500 to the ground is all I need.
Your are not going to get anywhere close to 500 rwhp with bolt-ons unless you are bolting on a BLOWER. You would need heads and cam. Stock LS1 are right at 300 rwhp

Opening the motor will mean you are going to have problems. That's ridiculous. Why would that happen?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Drumbum675
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I'll get in on this... What is the largest cam I could install with stock heads? And what kind of hp would I get out of that? Currently CAI, headers, Borla stingers and a tune. Is it even worth doing a cam without doing heads?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drumbum675
So, I'll get in on this... What is the largest cam I could install with stock heads? And what kind of hp would I get out of that? Currently CAI, headers, Borla stingers and a tune. Is it even worth doing a cam without doing heads?
I would not go over .600 and I would definitely upgrade the springs. You can get up 50-60 or more rwhp and still have a drivable car.

And yes you can do a cam without heads
Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 PM
paullywalnuts
Pro

Don't be scurrred! N2O is the way to go.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Havent had any problems with mine and Ive done a head/cam swap. How exactly do you expect to get 500+rwhp with out opening up the engine?

Get notified of new replies

To Most Cost Effective LS1 Performance Mods

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paullywalnuts
Don't be scurrred! N2O is the way to go.

Pound for pound N20 makes the most HP for the money.This should go without sayn.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
Havent had any problems with mine and Ive done a head/cam swap. How exactly do you expect to get 500+rwhp with out opening up the engine?
Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Your are not going to get anywhere close to 500 rwhp with bolt-ons unless you are bolting on a BLOWER. You would need heads and cam. Stock LS1 are right at 300 rwhp

Opening the motor will mean you are going to have problems. That's ridiculous. Why would that happen?
OK, 500 can be made with a procharger or vortech supercharger. No need to open the motor up.

And the weird things that happen... Basically, as explained in other threads, GM built those motors perfectly. They could practically go forever if they were never opened. I have no idea why that is, but it's been my experience as well as many others.

But once you pull the intake manifold or heads off... It just seems something weird happens that really shouldn't have happened... Perhaps a gasket blows or something... I dunno. I'm not saying specific things happen, I'm saying weird random things happen.

I know there's plenty of people that haven't had a single issue with their modded motors. I'm not saying they will either, but if you're as supersticious as me, you'd put money on it happening. LOL
Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 AM
crosstheline
Pro

If I was going to do it all over again and I have spent A LOT of money modding this junk my order would be as follows (if I kept the LS1 stock bottom end):

1. CAI
2. Tune
3. New gears in rear end (3:73's if auto, 3:90's if manual)
4. Cat back's
5. L/T headers
6. Cam
7. Heads
8. Intake and throttle body work

Do all this and you will run in the mid 11's.

And I forgot the cheapest mod of all - HOOD SEAL (200 hp for $10)

Quick Reply: Most Cost Effective LS1 Performance Mods