C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
M-yellow01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd headlight problem

I searched threads for this type problem with no luck. Always when i start my car in the garage, the lights come on and pop up, once outside in the sun they go down. But yesterday the drivers side closed with the other one, then popped back up half way only. The light was not illuminated. After several attemps with the switch, turning them off and on, it always came to rest half way up. Turning the manual **** on the motor to lower it, it still did' nt want to lower. Any ideas? Last year i repaced the plastic drive gears with metal ones. With the lights on, everything is fine. When they go off, it will close fully, then come up half way. Thats odd. Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Theres a head light stop on the light housing. If the plastic part of the stop cracks and breaks, it can cause this. Check out that stop.

BC
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 AM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Name:  DriversHeadlamp.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  28.9 KB

Here's the TSB:

Number: 00-08-42-002
Subject: Left Headlamp Door Does Not Stay Closed (Shim Headlamp Door Motor/Actuator and Replace Insulators)
Model Year: 2000 Chevrolet Corvette
Condition: Some customers may comment that the left front headlamp door does not remain closed after the headlamps are turned off. Others may comment
that the left headlamp door closes when the headlamps are turned off, but then reopens. In either case, the right headlamp door operates properly.

Correction

Important

The following information applies to the left front headlamp door motor/actuator only. It does not apply to and should not be performed on the right front headlamp door motor/actuator.

Install one washer (2) between the left headlamp door motor/actuator (1) and the mounting bracket (3) at each of the three attaching bolt locations. Also replace the insulator (4) on each of the two mounting bracket travel stop tabs (5) as shown. For information on headlamp motor/actuator removal, see the Headlamp Motor/Actuator Replacement procedure in the Lighting sub-section of Body & Accessories in the appropriate Service Manual.
Parts Information
Part Number Description Qty Per Vehicle
11505463 Washer 3
16524060 Insulator 2
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default re driver headlamp popping up

I just repaired my 02 this weekend. Putting the shims, and insulators in fixed the problem. It takes less than 45 mins to do. One thing, you might just lossen all 3 bolts on the headlamp motor and then take one off at a time and insert the washer, shim, then replace bolt and hand tight and then go to the second bolt and the then the third. This keeps the actuator plate and head lamp motor aligned together because it takes small hands to work it that tight spot. Also on the bolt on the bottom that is hard to see and get to , I used a pair of long needle nose pliers to slip the washer, shim on. I also only found one white plastic insulator that was damaged so I only changed out the one. Had to spray a little wd-40 on it to get it to go on. So the only tools needed for this was a 10mm wrench, 10mmsocket, wd40 and a magnet because before i used the needle nose plyers i dropped a shim, washer and had to retrieve it. Those washer/ shims cost over $4.00 a piece and at a local hardware store cost about a dime, just use stainless steel and spray them black.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 AM
M-yellow01
Intermediate

Thanks very much guys, i'll get out there first thing this morning and put the shims on. Seeing that g.m. Memo on this problem, must be a common one. Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't want them to pop-up when starting in the garage, then turn off the auto headlight (aka twilight sentinel???)
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
M-yellow01
Intermediate

I did the small task this morning, and all is well. Went to my local (central florida) chevy store, to get the stop tab insulators, and they did'nt offer any. So i flipped the worn ones over until i locate some from ecklers or midamerica. This site has a bunch of top shelf members. Thanks again all.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:13 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you O.P. this saved me a massive headache I have been dealling with this 4 a week. It was a easy fix my Dealer didnt have the parts so I took the 2 plastic pieces from the back side of my drivers headlight and put the bad ones in thier place. Works great now
Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

How do you guys know if the motor didn't take a crap? Mine just started last night the driver side won't go down or up unless I manually turn the ****. Is there a way to test the motor itself?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check Fuse #4, underhood Fuse Block.
Name:  HeadlampControlModuleInputs.gif
Views: 2019
Size:  98.1 KB

Last edited by byronhunter; 07-06-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM
sinnetman
1st Gear

Default odd headlight problem

I followed the TSB and did all the work, but,,,,,,the "pop up" problem continues. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what to do next. thanks.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
dave's redvette
Cruising

Thanks for the info about the left head lamp byron hunter! I am going to give that a try!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Loverofcorvettes
Advanced

Default I have this same exact problem

I gave my dealer the insulator part #16524060 and they said this part is discontinued. Does anyone know where I can get these head light insulators? Also does anyone know the size of the washers? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
racingchester
Intermediate

Default Headlight issue

Both headlights open properly but when you turn off the lights they both go down but the left one goes back half open. Any ideas...

Last edited by racingchester; 11-07-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by racingchester
Both headlights open properly but when you turn off the lights they both go down but the left one goes back half open. Any ideas...
One of your insulators is chewed up I can gurantee it it's not hitting the stop properly. Not sure where you can get them see post above.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 PM
racingchester
Intermediate

Thanks....Have a salvage yard that might have them....going to get some spares if possible..
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Loverofcorvettes
Advanced

I had the same problem. There are two little clear plastic stopper type things. Actually they are kind of like an off white color. I just switched the two around and it has been working fine for almost a year now. Unfortunately they do not sell the parts, so if you wanted to get another it would be junk yard time. However if you just switch the two around you will be fine, good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd headlight problem

Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
racingchester
Intermediate

Default headlights

You guys saved me...Plastic stop broken at corner. Replaced ..good as new.. Thanks Chuck
Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM
docohm
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Same problem just started on my 2001 coupe. I pulled the headlight covers off so I could see the bumpers, one of them had a large worn place on it. I turned that over and put a little glue on it. Problem fixed! I worry that it may not stay on there too long, it was pretty well worn out. So I just looked them up on Eckler's, they are cheap, I'm gonna order 2 pair right away so I don't have this problem ever again. Here's the link for future reference:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1997-2004.html
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by M-yellow01
I did the small task this morning, and all is well. Went to my local (central florida) chevy store, to get the stop tab insulators, and they did'nt offer any. So i flipped the worn ones over until i locate some from ecklers or midamerica. This site has a bunch of top shelf members. Thanks again all.
not to resurrect an old thread but,

GENIUS

That dreaded time of yearly inspection and I leave the shop and had this exact problem, searched this great place and Bam!!!!!......stress relieved...

Thanks yellow...

Last edited by oh1vette; 09-29-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Odd headlight problem