C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I Replace the Key Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Van5150
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How do I Replace the Key Cylinder?

I put key in ignition - and key won't turn. This has never happened before.

I have removed the arm pad and the knee bolster.

How do I remove the key cylinder?

I am going to try to clean it - but if that doesnt work what next?

I hate to bring it to the dealer - as that is what this web site is all about - sticking it back to the dealer. Maybe a locksmith ?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you have the Radio Surround off, you can see there are 2 bolts holding the ignition switch to the dash. Once you remove them you have to push the switch back away from the dash and disconnect the 2main wiring harness connections and the small VATS connector. Really pretty simple - once you remove all the trim............Good Luck
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Van5150
Instructor

Well, I called a Locksmith - he said he never changed a key cylinder on a Corvette - and he didnt want to try. He left saying I need to contact a dealer.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
glkfam
Instructor

Default Post to check out

Try doing a search for this post by Bill Curlee
C5 Ignition Switch Repair

This is the guy to talk to about electrical questions. He might be able to steer you to the right answer. I am having problems with my ignition switch but it is a different problem, I need to clean the contacts. I am not getting a feed to the A/C unit. Anyway, if Bill is not to busy maybe he might be able to offer some solutions. It is not a big job to change out the whole switch. Hope you find the answer. I can assure you, someone on this board knows what is going on, just keep searching or posting.

Gary

Originally Posted by Van5150
I put key in ignition - and key won't turn. This has never happened before.

I have removed the arm pad and the knee bolster.

How do I remove the key cylinder?

I am going to try to clean it - but if that doesnt work what next?

I hate to bring it to the dealer - as that is what this web site is all about - sticking it back to the dealer. Maybe a locksmith ?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Van5150
Instructor

Wel - locksmith # 2 came out after sayig over the phone w=there was no doubt in his mind that he could swap out key cylinders and reporgram key. He came over cleaned the key hole for 5 minutes then left me with a 85 dollar bill saying I should have it towed to the dealer.

Anyone know if there is a way to pull out the cylinder lock, somehow start the car and drive to the dealer.,.,im getting killed here.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why don't you fill out your profile, so forum members would know where you are? You'd be surprised how helpful some are.

Also, did you pay the $85 bill?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

As I said in the earlier post, this is a realitively easy procedure if you are a "Do it Yourselfer" if not, have it towed to the stealer and pay out the nose. Before you do that, contact Gene at GM Parts House and find out how much the parts will cost from a reasonable person. At least you will be informed if you decide to have your local stealership repair it...............Good Luck
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Removal of the switch is really simple () once you get the plastic trim off and out of the way.

Once you have the ignition switch assy out of the dash. You can remove the key cylinder assy out of the plastic ignition switch housing.

Heres is what the switch assy removed fron the dash looks like:

Once you get the lock cylinder out of the ignition switch,,,,,you will see this:

Its a snap to install a screwdriver blade into the switch and turn the switch to start and run the engine.

If the key cylinder is the issue. I would take it back to that damn lock smith and tell him to fix it or you will take $85 out of his A$$

If it the ignition switch assy issue, you can either take the BLACK part of the switch apart and figure out whats binding the switch up.

Heres my post on repairing the actual electrical part of the switch:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

BC
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Check out this post to remove the key lock cylinder:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...to-dealer.html
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM
MMA FIGHTER2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did one last week its not hard at all only took me 15mins
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Van5150
Instructor

I took out the switch assembly from the dash.

I found the small square pin on bottom of the lock. I pushed the small pin in and nothing happened. My key goes in, but it does not turn - I tried turing it as hard as I could before I felt something might break and presses in the small square pin - and it still would not come out.

Do you think I could just take the entire assembly to the locksmith and he could get it out?

What else do I need ? A new Key cylinder, A new blank key ?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It sounds like you have one or two pins that are stuck in the incorrect position Probably due to a failed spring or dirt.

Recommend trying this:

Spray some WD-40 into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and while you apply light to normal pressure,,,use a small tool to lightly tap the ignition switch cylinder lock housing. Your trying to shock the pins to move or re-line up.

If lightly applying constant pressure doesn't work, try to turn and release, turn and release, turn and release while tapping.

If all else fails, and I mean as a last resort, you going to have to cut the plastic cylinder housing off the ignition switch so you can turn the switch.

Remember your going to need to have the key resistor inside the small vats sensor for the engine to run. Remove it and install your spare key into that sensor.

BC
Old 04-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Van5150
Instructor

Thank you Bill. I will try that.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Van5150
Instructor

Ok, I tried everything I could. For me nothing worked and I had to do the unthinkable - I brought the car to the dealer - its my daily driver and down time hurts me - it killed me to bring it to them cause I know its gonna cost cash and its against everything this web site is about.

So car was towed there on Friday and the service mgr said he can look at it Saturday.

I went down Monday to the dealer to grab a book outa the corvette and its sitting outside. I ask the service mgr. and he says they didnt have the key with the resistor I needed so they ordered one, it will be here Tuesday. Tueday was also the day they said I will have my car back.

I told the guy I didnt think the key was the issue because the key unlocked the doors with no issues. He still believed it was the key and that it should be eliminated from the equation. I told him I don't wanna pay for the key if its not the issue. He agreed and said it was in the initial quote.

I called today(Tuesday) asking what time can I pick up the car and he said the key didn't work and that they need to take apart the dash - he will let me know later in the day whats goin on.

Now I have taken the dash apart several times already and can do it in less thean 10 minutes - we'll see how long it takes them.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

classic dealership story for sure -- hope it works out ok for you.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
DukeEnt
6th Gear

so what happened with this? I got a similar issue, where my key will turn if I take it out and re-insert. Sometimes it turns right away, sometimes I gotta do this several times before it turns.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
glkfam
Instructor

Default Fixed Intermittent feed to A/C on off Switch

Thanks to Bill Curlee and his ripping apart an ignition switch, I was able to fix a problem that I traced back to the feed coming right out of the ignition switch that fed the A/C on/off speed switch. Every few times I would start the car, no A/C. You could see no little pilot light by the A/C on/off speed switch. Make a long story short, traced it to the ignition switch. By following Bill's photo's I cleaned the contacts, put more tension on them etc. and it solved my problem. THANKS BILL

Originally Posted by glkfam
Try doing a search for this post by Bill Curlee
C5 Ignition Switch Repair

This is the guy to talk to about electrical questions. He might be able to steer you to the right answer. I am having problems with my ignition switch but it is a different problem, I need to clean the contacts. I am not getting a feed to the A/C unit. Anyway, if Bill is not to busy maybe he might be able to offer some solutions. It is not a big job to change out the whole switch. Hope you find the answer. I can assure you, someone on this board knows what is going on, just keep searching or posting.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To How do I Replace the Key Cylinder?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Van5150
Instructor

For myself, it went like this. I told service guy to call me after the evaluation with what they were gonna do. He called and said the service mgr wants to make a new key - he believes it will solve the problem - I disagreed with him and told him that key works fine in the doors and the door keys are never used. Anyway - they did a new key, that didnt work.

Then they changed out the key cylinder like how I told them too in the 1st place. That worked and now I have an extra key. I need to get a transmitter for it though.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

First off if you can't turn the key you can't remove the cyl. from the ing. switch.
So they had to replace both the switch and lock cyl. as an assembly!
However to do the job right they should have keyed the new cyl. to your old key.
Then you would still only have 1 key, what I don't understand is you say you need to purchase a new transmitter????????
Sounds like your getting a half a** job and a hosing besides!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Van5150
Instructor

Maybe I didnt say it the right way. When I bought the car (used) it only came with 1 key and 1 transmitter. Now I have 2 keys and 1 transmitter. I need 1 more transmitter so I have 2 sets of keys.

Quick Reply: How do I Replace the Key Cylinder?