C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima battery trouble/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 PM
whonoz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima battery trouble/question

Late last year when my car wasn't starting well, I popped the hood and noticed my 3 year old Optima Red Top battery was extremely hot. I took it back to Pep Boys and they said it was a bad battery and gave me a new one...no charge. Today my new battery wouldn't turn the car over, when I looked at it the "vent" cap on the negative side was blown off and there was fluid (not sure in this battery if it's actually acid or the gel) all over, basically looked like it had been under pressure and spewed. Anyone have any idea, did I get another bad battery is it
possible I have an electrical issue causing this to happen. The car voltmeter has been showing normal, until yesterday and today when I noticed the voltage was down (I assume because of the battery being bad).

I can take it back to Pep Boys, but if the car is causing the issue I should probably identify why and fix it. If it's just another bad battery, I don't think I want to replace it with another Optima even if it's free under warranty.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:05 PM
bluvette79
Pro

probably not the car. just some more redtop stories. get a good pepboy battery, autozone or several others - search this site. take your friend out to dinner with the savings, or better yet, buy another mod for the vette
Old 04-17-2009, 07:08 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If the alternator is not charging the battery at over 15 volts, then you probably have another bad battery. I would switch to a ACDelco Professional grade 7YR battery.
The alternator could be stuck at max. voltage and overcharging the battery, but that does not sound like what is happening.
Did you check the voltage across the battery terminals with the car running?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You CAN NOT trouble shoot the issue without a good battery. So, recommend that you get the warranty and a new replacement battery. Then take some voltage readings at the battery terminals. If you did have an over voltage issue, the DIC would have told you so.

Did you have the car on a battery charger?????

BC
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 AM
whonoz
Heel & Toe

It had sat over the winter, untended in a heated building. I did quick charge it enough to get it started. I was wondering if there isn't some quirk with the Optima that it can't be totally drained and charged?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Red tops, aurrgggg.

I keep mine on a battery tender.

once an optima has been drainned, or at least mine, no way to fully recharge. Need to replace with new and keep on a tender when not in use,

I have had three Red tops in the last four years. If Autozone wasn't replacing them under warranty, I would go back to AC Delco in a heart beat.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 AM
bluvette79
Pro

you are correct about the quirk! it does not do well after completely discharged. you roached the redtop so now go get another type of battery. you don't need a redtop to get the job done well!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the instructions about Optimas next time. It is not the batteries fault, it is the owners fault.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 PM
bluvette79
Pro

yeah, right. no one ever accidentally lets their battery discharge and we all know that a battery is no longer good if it gets discharged. who needs an expensive battery that you have to babysit!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now wait just a dog gone minute.

My OPTIMA has gone DEAD three times and it has been brought backn to life each time!!

So,,,Is it an OPTIMA issue or C5 issue??????????????

BC
Old 04-18-2009, 02:28 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Too many Optima stories....mine is 7 yrs. old and goes on the tender when I'm not driving the car. Never a problem etc...BUT I'll go with the Delco professional next time. Probably this year as the Ultima is 7 yrs. old.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:30 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have had three Red tops in the last four years. If Autozone wasn't replacing them under warranty, I would go back to AC Delco in a heart beat.
I've given up on Optima Red Tops after going through 2 in the last 4 years, and the 2nd one leaked acid. Have always used a Battery Tender on them too.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...a-red-top.html

I'm going with the ACDelco Professional 7 year battery this time around.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...l-battery.html

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 04-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM
dmiz0420
Racer

Both my friend and I experienced problems with ours after the winter.

We both are on our second battery in 2 years(returned the first). It does seem once they are drawn down past a certian point, it's never the same.

Get a good old regular battery and save the $100, better yet put it towards the track.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:22 PM
nextime
Drifting

Red Tops were not designed for Garage Queens, Red Tops were designed for vehicles that get used every day.

FYI most Corvettes are baby sat, most got some type of tender on them.

Originally Posted by bluvette79
yeah, right. no one ever accidentally lets their battery discharge and we all know that a battery is no longer good if it gets discharged. who needs an expensive battery that you have to babysit!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 PM
EOS 05
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

When I went in to buy a Battery Tender the guy at the store told me it wasn't good to keep it charging all the time as it would constantly heat the battery. He told me to buy a Schumacher Ship to Shore charger that had AGM settings and 10amp charging and to just charge it up once every week or two if I wasn't driving the car.

The thing charges a battery back up in like 30 mins and has a Digital Readout to tell voltage and % charged.

Although the red top in my Vette drops voltage while it's not being used, it charges back up quickly. I've also got a red top in my Yukon XL and it's works fine.

A big benefit of the Optima is the amount of acid in one vs the regular battery.

When I taking the old battery out of the truck, I could hear the acid sloshing around in a major way. I didn't hear any of that when putting the Optima in.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now wait just a dog gone minute.

My OPTIMA has gone DEAD three times and it has been brought backn to life each time!!

So,,,Is it an OPTIMA issue or C5 issue??????????????

BC
Mostly operator error.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 PM
bluvette79
Pro

a battery tender does not charge all of the time but monitors battery charge and adds charge when necessary. go to harbor freight and pick one up to start. remember it is a battery tender not just a battery charger. there is a difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima battery trouble/question

Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nextime
Red Tops were not designed for Garage Queens, Red Tops were designed for vehicles that get used every day.

FYI most Corvettes are baby sat, most got some type of tender on them.
I'm still on my original AC Delco battery that's 7 years old. I leave my car sitting for weeks and even a month at a time each and every winter with NO tender and it fires up each and every time.

Having to use a battery tender on any battery if you car sits up to a month at a time is BS. Get a better battery if you got to throw a tender on it just cause it sits for a month.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
nextime
Drifting

Next time throw a volt meter on the battery and see what it reads after sitting for a whole winter and see what it reads!

Originally Posted by briann510
I'm still on my original AC Delco battery that's 7 years old. I leave my car sitting for weeks and even a month at a time each and every winter with NO tender and it fires up each and every time.

Having to use a battery tender on any battery if you car sits up to a month at a time is BS. Get a better battery if you got to throw a tender on it just cause it sits for a month.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by whonoz
It had sat over the winter, untended in a heated building. I did quick charge it enough to get it started. I was wondering if there isn't some quirk with the Optima that it can't be totally drained and charged?
it has to be charged at 2 or 3 amps i think

Quick Reply: Optima battery trouble/question