C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about lowering & wheel/tire size

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM
dblack
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about lowering & wheel/tire size

I have a 2000 coupe that is stock height and has stock wheel/ tire size ( 245/45/75 & 275/40/18).

It is at stock height and I want to lower it. My problem is that I live on a state highway and have an asphalt driveway with a huge slope that slighlty scrapes the bumper with stock height. There is a big tree at the end that has roots running under the drive so re-doing it is not an option. The state will not allow me to put anything like a gutter guard or anything at the end.

I am thinking of getting some new wheels in the near future, so I was wondering if I got an inch taller tire would that help the bumper killing slope of my driveway.

So I guess my question is: If I go with a tire that has a 1" taller OD than my factory size, will that allow me to lower the front to get the wheel gap look that I want while keeping the same or very close to the same bumper height?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have a lousy slope to a drive way now, I would not lower your car at all.

taller tires really is not a good option for handling and will look like a 4x4.

is there some way to redo part of your driveway?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
dblack
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you have a lousy slope to a drive way now, I would not lower your car at all.

taller tires really is not a good option for handling and will look like a 4x4.

is there some way to redo part of your driveway?
You really think it would look that bad with a 275/40/18 front and 315/35/18 rear?

I could redo the drive to a different area, but with it being on a state highway the cost would be too much for me to handle.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is lowered close to 2" I think and I have to enter drives at a 45 degree angle to keep from scraping its nose. I am running 275/35/18 Front and 295/35/18 rear. Everything clears and it looks good lowered. Can't clear anything on the street including errant hedge apples...LOL The tire sizes you mentioned would look good IMO, but a 1" taller tire is only going to raise you 1/2 inch. Then there is very little lowering you can do and maintain your current height. Can you enter the drive at 45 degrees from the street? Maybe widen it a little? Maybe you can go with a 19" or (gulp) 20" tire with 35 series rubber and keep the good looks without too much side wall and keep the height after a slight drop?

Get notified of new replies

To Question about lowering & wheel/tire size

Quick Reply: Question about lowering & wheel/tire size