C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable the F45 option using Tech2

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 AM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Disable the F45 option using Tech2

97 Vette

Connected Tech2 and the menu items are:
0 Diagnostic
1 Service Program System
2 View Captured Data
3 Tool Options
4 Getting Started

Under the Service Program System there is one item available for reprogramming - the PCM. I did quick google and read that after 300 off/on ignition cycles the BCM is locked and no longer programmable. Must be why it is not in the list. Appears a new BCM would be needed to go that route. Did not see any reman unit or unlocking service available.

I have already removed the shocks from car. In addition I removed the position sensors and am getting error codes. I know about the resistor mod for the shocks but have not seen anything for the position sensor.

Any suggestions?

See post #6

Last edited by voda1; 10-30-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM
neaz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need to install the resistors there as well, it's the 3 cavity connector right next to the 2 cavity connector for the shocks. They're both (on the fronts) located on the frame rail behind the shock
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by voda1
97 Vette

Connected Tech2 and the menu items are:
0 Diagnostic
1 Service Program System
2 View Captured Data
3 Tool Options
4 Getting Started

Under the Service Program System there is one item available for reprogramming - the PCM. I did quick google and read that after 300 off/on ignition cycles the BCM is locked and no longer programmable. Must be why it is not in the list. Appears a new BCM would be needed to go that route. Did not see any reman unit or unlocking service available.

I have already removed the shocks from car. In addition I removed the position sensors and am getting error codes. I know about the resistor mod for the shocks but have not seen anything for the position sensor.

Any suggestions?
You have to go into diagnostics. Here are directions. Although they are biased towards turning on TPSs on a Z06, they do show where the F45 option is located.

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html

Also, try a search on F45 Removal, as there is a certain order to follow in disconnecting components and flashing the BCM.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 10-20-2009 at 03:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fdxpilot:
Mike98SilVert (04-24-2016), Pounder (02-26-2016)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
You have to go into diagnostics. Here are directions. Although they are biased towards turning on TPSs on a Z06, they do show where the F45 option is located.

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html

Also, try a search on F45 Removal, as there is a certain order to follow in disconnecting components and flashing the BCM.
I agree I have disabled the F45 Computer before with a tech2. Unplug the rear computer box in hatch area and NEVER plug it in again.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

voda1

COOL POST! I added your post to my Important C5 POST EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE post!

This will help a LOT of people get rid of the F-45 CRAP!

Bill Curlee

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-20-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Got F45 disabled. Tip of the hat to fdxpilot & Wicked C5 for link to: http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html which has the procedure.

Error in 1st post was selecting option #1 - Service Program System, which is used to program NEW modules.

IIR from working on computers, hot plugging serial devices was a no-no. So I unplugged all the connectors on the ECS unit before starting.

1. Disconnect the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC), PULL both connectors!

Now summarizing the procedure from the stopforce link:

2. Navigating the Tech2
From [Main Menu]
select F0: Diagnostics

From [Vehicle Identification]
select year
select type

From [System Selection Menu]
select F1: Body

From [Vehicle Identification]
select product line (Y)
select body style
select trans

From [Body]
select F0: Body Control Module

From [Body Control Module]
select F2: Special Functions

From [Special Functions]
select F1:BCM RPO Reprogram

From [Setup New BCM]
select US & Canada RPO V73

From [BCM RPO Reprogram]
hilight RPO F45 option line
press deselect

Select Save Changes

4. Turn off the car.

5. Turn the car on and verify that the dreaded - MAX SPEED 80 MPH - is gone.

Last edited by voda1; 12-23-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Glad to hear you got it resolved! I actually would pull the rear computer out to make sure no one ever plugs it in again.

IMO this way better then the resistor trick.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Glad to hear you got it resolved! I actually would pull the rear computer out to make sure no one ever plugs it in again.

IMO this way better then the resistor trick.

if your never going to use it again, yank it out of there.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Dhalgren
Heel & Toe

I tried removing the F45 today on a '97 with the TECH II but failed. It would not disable. Could not get past the "Setup new BCM" page with the delete option and then save for the F45. It did nothing when "delete option" was selected. Starting thinking I needed to disconnect the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) first. Will it not disable with the ESC connected?

Also, anyone in the Delaware County, Pa. area willing to share their Tech II. Think I wore out my welcome at the Dealer.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dhalgren
I tried removing the F45 today on a '97 with the TECH II but failed. It would not disable. Could not get past the "Setup new BCM" page with the delete option and then save for the F45. It did nothing when "delete option" was selected. Starting thinking I needed to disconnect the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) first. Will it not disable with the ESC connected?

Also, anyone in the Delaware County, Pa. area willing to share their Tech II. Think I wore out my welcome at the Dealer.
Read Post No 6 in this thread, which summarizes all our assorted posts.

Step1. Disconnect the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC), pulled both connectors

As long as the BCM sees a Suspension computer, it will not allow the F45 option to be deleted.

Also, any GM dealer will have a Tech II.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

If you can't find anyone closer to you, I'm close to Milford, PA. I've got my own Tech 2. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from downtown Philly.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Stop down at the shop. I wouldnt mind helping you out.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Dhalgren
Heel & Toe

Well round 2 was another failure on the '97. We disconnected both plugs first from the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC), then turned on the ignition, and still cannot delete the F45 option. The option shows but nothing happens at all when the remove option key is pressed. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Well round 2 was another failure on the '97. We disconnected both plugs first from the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC), then turned on the ignition, and still cannot delete the F45 option. The option shows but nothing happens at all when the remove option key is pressed. Any help is appreciated.
There should not be anything about "Setup New BCM." It sounds like you are entering the wrong menu. See post #6 again. Your first choice should be "F0: Diagnostics" then follow the rest of the instructions in post #6.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Dhalgren
Heel & Toe

Yep, pretty sure we followed it to a tee. There was some differences later on in the screens, like it asked if a special handling package was installed at one point. There wasn't a whole lot of options to chose from so I can't see where we could have taken a wrong turn but it did not exactly match the instructions. Also. the last screen showed the available options and did have a deselect option, but no asterisks. I'm wondering if this is a '97 model year issue?

Last edited by Dhalgren; 01-21-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Dbrank28
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I got the steps to removing the f45 but it never says if you're allowed to install aftermarket shocks before you do this procedure or after
Old 02-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

FYI, the stopforce site has been up and down the last few years. the instructions are mirrored at http://techvelocity.com/stopforce/RPO.html in case the stopforce site is down.

Get notified of new replies

To Disable the F45 option using Tech2

Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Dbrank28
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone confirmed that the procedure in post #6 works? I'm taking it to a truck shop that has a tech2 and they are doing it for free for me. Just want to confirm so I'm not wasting their time. Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

It is good but left off the guidance on how to disconnect the module in the trunk. I can post when I get home.

Mr. Sam
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by john_d. View Post
Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to buy one.

There is a little more to turning off the F45 than shown in that link. It shows how to get to the correct menu but not the things you have to do in order to make the delete permanent. Here are the steps:

1. Hook up Tech 2, turn car on, make sure module in the rear is plugged in. Do not unplug the rear module.
2. Use Tech 2 to delete the F45 option (F55 does not appear on the menu screen, use F45).
3. Save new configuration.
4. Do not turn car off, do not remove Tech 2. Go to the module in the rear of the car, unplug the grey connector (the widest one), leave any other plug(s) in. [leave the other 1 (F45) or 2 (F55) plugged in]
5. Turn off car, leave Tech 2 plugged in.
6. Remove remaining plugs from module in the rear of car. [never plug them back in again, if you do the F45 turns on automatically]
7. Turn car on to verify the "max speed 80 mph" is gone.
8. Unplug Tech 2.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...f-tech2-9.html
Post #165

Quick Reply: Disable the F45 option using Tech2