C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 96 LT1 faster than Stock 99 LS1??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Prob selling it after he got it handed to him by a C5!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Retro99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good thing it's not an LT4 lol
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM
warfamily
Heel & Toe

Default LT1 or LS1 ?

Well Folks, as unbelievable as it sounds, yes there are LT1's (stock) that will a stock LS1 to the wood shed and spank that #$^^#@$.

When I first read this, like most I was no way. Then I remembered my lowly stock 94 Vette, auto, with 2:59 gears.

In 1996 I took it to Capital Raceway, Crofton, Md.

It ran consistent 13:38's @ 104 on factory tires. No spin just hooked and bam! I was even beating Vetts with 383's. They were running 13:6 but their mph was faster, 110+ vs. my 104.

Keeping in mind my vette only had and has 2:59's in the rear: imagine if I had 3:45's or so.

It did a best of 13:27 @ 110 one December. Nope not at a track, but using a G-Tech, which is very accurate.

It was featured in Hi-Performance Chevy and Corvette Fever. One called it "freaky fast".

Now I still have it, after getting a C5 2000 6sp couple. Got rid of the coupe, and then started rebuilding my C4 again.

Before going to in 2009 to Afghanistan, I finally got my long awaited 383 in. Not a very elaborate piece. Stock ported heads, small valves, ZZ9 cam with 1:6 rr, stock ported intake, stock compression, everything else pretty stock; Oh 400 crank, 5.575 rods, hypereutectic pistons eye brow type, monster transmissions 2800 stall and still 2:59 cogs.

Had the engine dynode at Kim Barr Racing in Texas. We used a carb setup, since Kim was setup for F.I. engine dynoing.

With some limit in the 750 dlb pumper capabilities, the little LT1 383 made 400 hp and 465lbs of torque.

This little combo was more than enough to inflate and deflate Monster Transmissions 4L60E 2800 stall converter. I think this is the one:

4L60E Torque Converter, 2600-2800 Stall, with Lock-Up
[Part# PP7704LS]

Click to enlarge

Punisher Pro-Street 2600-2800 Stall 4L60E Lock-Up Torque Converter: 30 Spline

The Punisher Pro-Street is a high-performance 4L60E torque converter of the 12" size with
an expected stall speed of 2600-2800 RPM. The stall speed of this converter will be suitable
for street as well as some drag-strip applications. The Punisher Pro-Street is a moderately
priced 4L60E torque converter with exceptional value for the performance minded street enthusiast.

TORQUE CONVERTER SPECS

Stall: 2600-2800
Family: Punisher Pro-Street
Size: 12"
Turbine: 30 spline
Bolt Pattern: 4L60E
Engine: ALL
Brazed Impeller: YES
Brazed Turbine: YES
Bearings: 3
Washers: 0
Diode Stator: NO
Balloon Plates: NO

Notes: Unit contains a lock-up clutch.

This piece of garbage destroyed a new engine with 220 miles on it, after one 130 ft burnout. 2:59s and stock 17 inchers.

Monster did send me an anti ballooned converter, which is still sitting in the box. It won’t get a chance to blow this extremely expensive motor.

How?

That little engine made so much torque with the F.I. system and in the car, that Monster junk, ballooned, hit the back of the crank and you know the rest.

For those who do not, that rest is called thrust bearing destroyed.

Rebuilt it a second time. This second time is when I got those hp numbers above.

At the same time my original was being built, I just by the luck of the draw started building what I call a long stroke LT1. This one has yes, broken the bank, so to speak.

For those interested, this new 97 LT1 features a scat bottom with 6 inch rods, forged aluminum pistons, Chevy 383 Dish Top -12.8cc - SRS Piston Set, Trick Flow 185 LT1 cnc chambered heads, and intake have been ported and polished by Lloyd Elliot. (Lloyd is one Great Guy!) elliottsportworks.com.

Lloyd also built a custom cam. I am using a rare set of steel full roller rockers @ 1:65 ratio and specs the cam to 610/610 lift; advertised duration @ 228 int 238 exh. Advertise lobe separation is 114.

The flow numbers on the heads briefly: 2:87@600 lift exh. @ 210 int.

Oh the 202 valves were pulled and Lloyd dropped in a set of Ferrea lightweight 2:08's.

With the help of Bob Bailey, I am installing his multi-coil ignition system. Bob Bailey is just an outstanding fellow. Great doing business with him. Thanks Bob.

It is complimented by an MSD Billet Opti-spark.

JD and the guys and gals at MSD really came to the game to win.

Well guess that is all for now: I will post it on a web soon, maybe at www.cjas.us

Does anyone have a photo on how to reassemble the alternator bracket?

The mechanic, who was doing the install, after being paid a year ago, doesn’t want to re-install, so I am installing it with a buddy's help.

Really poor way to not keep his word, and not return the unused money her received. Perhaps it is a negative reaction to my service in Afghanistan.

I decided to keep things moving and talk to an Attorney.

Chow all…

One more thing, injectors are 42 lb Ford racing.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:40 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Be right back, I'm going to take some vitamin supplements, and fill up my canteen..........so I can read the post above.......
Old 09-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Be right back, I'm going to take some vitamin supplements, and fill up my canteen..........so I can read the post above.......
Wow! When you do get back and supplemented up, can you paraphrase for the rest of us?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 PM
warfamily
Heel & Toe

You Guys are Rawwwwww.

But I am feeling you. I have been reading for years and never said a thing.

For some odd reason today I felt like taking a swing. 1995 go figure.

Can a guy get a pass the pill box please???
Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by warfamily
Well Folks, as unbelievable as it sounds, yes there are LT1's (stock) that will a stock LS1 to the wood shed and spank that #$^^#@$.

When I first read this, like most I was no way. Then I remembered my lowly stock 94 Vette, auto, with 2:59 gears.

In 1996 I took it to Capital Raceway, Crofton, Md.

It ran consistent 13:38's @ 104 on factory tires. No spin just hooked and bam! I was even beating Vetts with 383's. They were running 13:6 but their mph was faster, 110+ vs. my 104.

Keeping in mind my vette only had and has 2:59's in the rear: imagine if I had 3:45's or so.

It did a best of 13:27 @ 110 one December. Nope not at a track, but using a G-Tech, which is very accurate.

It was featured in Hi-Performance Chevy and Corvette Fever. One called it "freaky fast".

Now I still have it, after getting a C5 2000 6sp couple. Got rid of the coupe, and then started rebuilding my C4 again.

Before going to in 2009 to Afghanistan, I finally got my long awaited 383 in. Not a very elaborate piece. Stock ported heads, small valves, ZZ9 cam with 1:6 rr, stock ported intake, stock compression, everything else pretty stock; Oh 400 crank, 5.575 rods, hypereutectic pistons eye brow type, monster transmissions 2800 stall and still 2:59 cogs.

Had the engine dynode at Kim Barr Racing in Texas. We used a carb setup, since Kim was setup for F.I. engine dynoing.

With some limit in the 750 dlb pumper capabilities, the little LT1 383 made 400 hp and 465lbs of torque.

This little combo was more than enough to inflate and deflate Monster Transmissions 4L60E 2800 stall converter. I think this is the one:

4L60E Torque Converter, 2600-2800 Stall, with Lock-Up
[Part# PP7704LS]

Click to enlarge

Punisher Pro-Street 2600-2800 Stall 4L60E Lock-Up Torque Converter: 30 Spline

The Punisher Pro-Street is a high-performance 4L60E torque converter of the 12" size with
an expected stall speed of 2600-2800 RPM. The stall speed of this converter will be suitable
for street as well as some drag-strip applications. The Punisher Pro-Street is a moderately
priced 4L60E torque converter with exceptional value for the performance minded street enthusiast.

TORQUE CONVERTER SPECS

Stall: 2600-2800
Family: Punisher Pro-Street
Size: 12"
Turbine: 30 spline
Bolt Pattern: 4L60E
Engine: ALL
Brazed Impeller: YES
Brazed Turbine: YES
Bearings: 3
Washers: 0
Diode Stator: NO
Balloon Plates: NO

Notes: Unit contains a lock-up clutch.

This piece of garbage destroyed a new engine with 220 miles on it, after one 130 ft burnout. 2:59s and stock 17 inchers.

Monster did send me an anti ballooned converter, which is still sitting in the box. It won’t get a chance to blow this extremely expensive motor.

How?

That little engine made so much torque with the F.I. system and in the car, that Monster junk, ballooned, hit the back of the crank and you know the rest.

For those who do not, that rest is called thrust bearing destroyed.

Rebuilt it a second time. This second time is when I got those hp numbers above.

At the same time my original was being built, I just by the luck of the draw started building what I call a long stroke LT1. This one has yes, broken the bank, so to speak.

For those interested, this new 97 LT1 features a scat bottom with 6 inch rods, forged aluminum pistons, Chevy 383 Dish Top -12.8cc - SRS Piston Set, Trick Flow 185 LT1 cnc chambered heads, and intake have been ported and polished by Lloyd Elliot. (Lloyd is one Great Guy!) elliottsportworks.com.

Lloyd also built a custom cam. I am using a rare set of steel full roller rockers @ 1:65 ratio and specs the cam to 610/610 lift; advertised duration @ 228 int 238 exh. Advertise lobe separation is 114.

The flow numbers on the heads briefly: 2:87@600 lift exh. @ 210 int.

Oh the 202 valves were pulled and Lloyd dropped in a set of Ferrea lightweight 2:08's.

With the help of Bob Bailey, I am installing his multi-coil ignition system. Bob Bailey is just an outstanding fellow. Great doing business with him. Thanks Bob.

It is complimented by an MSD Billet Opti-spark.

JD and the guys and gals at MSD really came to the game to win.

Well guess that is all for now: I will post it on a web soon, maybe at www.cjas.us

Does anyone have a photo on how to reassemble the alternator bracket?

The mechanic, who was doing the install, after being paid a year ago, doesn’t want to re-install, so I am installing it with a buddy's help.

Really poor way to not keep his word, and not return the unused money her received. Perhaps it is a negative reaction to my service in Afghanistan.

I decided to keep things moving and talk to an Attorney.

Chow all…

One more thing, injectors are 42 lb Ford racing.
Could you repeat that one more time in detail?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:08 AM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Past the 45 day rule

Quick Reply: Stock 96 LT1 faster than Stock 99 LS1??