C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Got Bent!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Header Got Bent!

Looks like I hit something pretty hard on the road and now I got this big *** dent on the pass side header. I was thinking the only way to fix it would be to weld a small bar or something to it, heat it up red hot and then pull it out. The header is aluminized steel with a ceramic coating. Anyone have an idea on how to repair this? Thnx guys.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM
11sec_C5Z51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly how my dent looks. I wonder if it affects performance.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

You will destroy the coating trying to heat it hot enough to allow pulling the dents out. If you are not concerned about the coating, you can always spray it with high temp paint after repairing. On off road vehicles I’ve used a sheet metal screw on the end of a slide hammer to pull exhaust dents. A hole is drilled for the slide hammer; the pipe is heated and then pulled using the slide hammer. Not pretty but it works. It might take more then one hole. The small hole is welded shut after the dent pull. Not something I would really like to do on my own Vette though.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
chevylad
Pro

I don't know if this would work or not being so far inside, but the guys who had the old tpi manifold with dings in them would push big ball bearings through them. In other words, you have to have some big *****!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Looks like I hit something pretty hard on the road and now I got this big *** dent on the pass side header. I was thinking the only way to fix it would be to weld a small bar or something to it, heat it up red hot and then pull it out. The header is aluminized steel with a ceramic coating. Anyone have an idea on how to repair this? Thnx guys.

you have the right ideas of how to fix it... going to take a lot of heat...and either a slied hammer, or weld a piece onto it... hope you have access to a hoist.... we had a similar situation on my son's old Camaro ... the shop that ceramic coated the headers for us sent us a container of the same coating to touch it up afterwards... certainly not as good as the origional coating, but it helped a lot..
Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Tkoscielniak
Intermediate

I would try a slide hammer and a stud welder. May have to grinf off the coating. Harbour freight has them pretty cheap and for use here and there only, the one I have works well.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thnx for the ideas guys. Gonna try some of them. Hope it works. I just dont want tha trestriction now that I have a bigger cam too. Dont care if its ugly just want it out. Thnx guys. Any more ideas let me know.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know it would be more expensive, but really were dealing with your "baby" here. Why don't you send the pictures to the manufacturer, & see what their suggestion is in regards to a fix. They might even offer you an excellent deal to fix or replace the one header. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:19 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Are those Texas Speed headers? Looks like they are rusting where you have scraped them......
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Are those Texas Speed headers? Looks like they are rusting where you have scraped them......
Yes. Texas Speed. Theyre aluminized steel with a ceramic coating. After this Im planning to lay a nice coat of ceramic high heat silver paint. Its just a little surface rust.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I know it would be more expensive, but really were dealing with your "baby" here. Why don't you send the pictures to the manufacturer, & see what their suggestion is in regards to a fix. They might even offer you an excellent deal to fix or replace the one header. Just a thought. Good luck.
Good idea but I got no time right now for the car to be down again but its worth a try. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thnx.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of my buds has a 408 tfs 235s nitrous. blah blah. he managed to hit a ladder on the hwy at 80 mph. dinged the SHT out of his kooks. nice ding. car still runs fine. last time he went to the track he was effing with the tune on the way there. ended up dropping a plug with no spares.. car still went 10.80 on 7 cylinders motor only. so i dont think that ding is really all that big of a deal.

what im saying is, even though it looks kind of nasty, i really dont think you are going to notice much change. by heating it up and pulling on it, its still gonna be effed up and out of round. according to the photos, if those were mine, id just run em how they are.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CoreyZ06
one of my buds has a 408 tfs 235s nitrous. blah blah. he managed to hit a ladder on the hwy at 80 mph. dinged the SHT out of his kooks. nice ding. car still runs fine. last time he went to the track he was effing with the tune on the way there. ended up dropping a plug with no spares.. car still went 10.80 on 7 cylinders motor only. so i dont think that ding is really all that big of a deal.

what im saying is, even though it looks kind of nasty, i really dont think you are going to notice much change. by heating it up and pulling on it, its still gonna be effed up and out of round. according to the photos, if those were mine, id just run em how they are.
Youre probably right but it bugs me. I know it will still look ugly but I'd rather have a little less of an obstruction than that big dent.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

no worries.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM
37pat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you remove the header, clamp it in a vise in soft jaws, apply some heat to the area, and drive a large steel ball through, you'll be good. But, you need to have a way to draw the ball back out, 'cause I don't think it'll pass through at the other end.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Youre probably right but it bugs me. I know it will still look ugly but I'd rather have a little less of an obstruction than that big dent.
An interesting thing about a tube is if you dent it, it will pop out in another direction.
So unless you crush it real bad it will still flow the same volume with a dent.
I'd leave it alone unless your hearing weird sounds like a whooshing sound from the exhaust.
By heating it and pulling the dent out you stretch the metal and may do more harm then good by making a bulge.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
blkvette98
Instructor

Default Dent

Might you be able to use an expandable mandrel?

Get notified of new replies

To Header Got Bent!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Have you checked with your insurance carrier? Might be covered if the damage happened while you were driving on the road. Worth a phone call.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 11sec_C5Z51
That's exactly how my dent looks. I wonder if it affects performance.
About 4 years ago when I ran over a piece of re-bar (about 8" long) on one of Houston's freeways and it flipped up underneath and dented one of my 1 3/4" Kooks header tubes not far from the collector. The impact sent a shock wave through the steel and I immediately got a "Check Engine" light. Turns out the shock wave had fractured the ceramic element (internally) in my R/F Oxygen sensor while not actually making contact with it. Replaced the sensor and all was good.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:21 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blkvette98
Might you be able to use an expandable mandrel?
There's a bend before the collector so its not a straight shot at the dent. Maybe I cant get a crowbar inside but Im not sure.

Quick Reply: Header Got Bent!