C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my broken DIC

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM
U TOSLOW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to get back so late on the latest responses.
Original board has long been tossed. - Sorry, there was some PCB layer damage, it was done.

As for the diagnosis, that was how mine was, blanked out one day, then the next month it was fine, then a day or two of randomness, then nothing.
If you can get the inverter from a parts house it would be worth the shot, in all reality if it isn't that part then it is the VFD itself, which would be a PITA to R&R. All the HV power going to your VFD is through this board, nothing else that I could trace out in the cluster.

And keep in mind, mine did not burn up until after some time of failure, it took me a week or so to get around to taking my car apart and diagnosing.
At first I hoped it was just a popped cap, but nope bunt up transistors, which in all reality failed from a failing upstream component.

So in short see if you can get a board for a few bucks and take a chance to fix the issue.

-Gary
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Nogee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent displays on the DIC

My symptoms are: reset button does not work, random displays on DIC, buttons on console cannot change display, etc.

My mechanic has diagnosed the problem to a ground in the "Options' button. However, his local IPC repair place does not have a 99 IPC in stock (exchange). Does anyone know of a repair shop for IPC's.

Part number 10279518

Do you think the inverter will help this?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 03-16-2011, 02:11 PM
quadman
Advanced

I am thinking about replacing the entire cluster.
If I do this I will need a Tech 2 to reset the mileage to the correct mileage for the car, correct?
Is this something I can do myself? My cousin is a GM dealer. Pretty sure he would let me use the Tech 2.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A tech II will NOT change the mileage It takes a special calibator.. I dont know if a dealer will even have one.

BC
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
quadman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
A tech II will NOT change the mileage It takes a special calibator.. I dont know if a dealer will even have one.

BC
thanks. I didn't know that. Where, exactly, is the car's mileage stored?
In other words, if I buy a used working cluster and swap the PC boards over to my cluster, will I still need to get the mileage reset?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate reading old threads and seeing they just stop dead in their tracks without resolution. im bringing back the dead on this one. my DIC display is not working. If I buy a used IPC board and thats not it a new cluster is my next step. if i buy a new cluster is there a way i can swap over the part that contains my mileage into the new one? i JUST bought this one when doing my HUD install and paid an extra $150 to get the mileage programmed. dont want to drop another 150 to do it again. help?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Before you replace your IPC, Make sure you have Power and Gorund. Power is supplied by TWO fuses.

Instrument Pabel Fuse Box Fuses 19 and 25. Actually measure the test slots on top of the fuses to chassis ground and insure that you have power on the fuses One (mini Fuse 19) is ignition KEY ON supplied.

Ground is Plug B pin 13
Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Narco944
i hate reading old threads and seeing they just stop dead in their tracks without resolution. im bringing back the dead on this one. my DIC display is not working. If I buy a used IPC board and thats not it a new cluster is my next step. if i buy a new cluster is there a way i can swap over the part that contains my mileage into the new one? i JUST bought this one when doing my HUD install and paid an extra $150 to get the mileage programmed. dont want to drop another 150 to do it again. help?
If your DIC display is not working at all, like it happened to the OP, there is a good chance that doing what he did could solve your problem. If not, then it could be the VFD itself, in which case you would need to swap the IPC's main board. The bad news is that that's also where the mileage is stored...
Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

FML. I pulled the cluster to ensure good connections. I'll try to decipher Bills info in laymans terms and check that too
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Clearly I've jinxed myself. Just now my speedo gauge has frozen at 4mph. Shutting it off and on again didn't fix it. Damn!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear that. I guess it's true that when it rains, it pours...

Do you still have your original non-HUD IPC? If yes, and if it's just the gauge itself that got messed up, perhaps you could try swapping just the speedo gauges.

Or better yet, transfer the main board of your HUD IPC to your old non-HUD IPC, making it HUD ready and keeping your current mileage, while knowing for sure that you are gaining a good speedo gauge and a good inverter board for the VFD.

If after that your DIC display still doesn't work then it's probably the VFD itself and you would need a new main IPC board (and reprogramming your current mileage).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by GCG; 04-30-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

I sold my non HUD cluster do that's out. After driving awhile the speedo started working again. Weird.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The pictures of the inverter board posted by quadman have a number of questionable looking solder joints. If there are no burnt components then it couldn't hurt to touch the solder joints up on the board. The 4 big electrolytic caps may be the cause too and need replacement.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Aaaaand speedo stopped again. I'm going to have to take the cluster to a repair shop
Old 05-06-2014, 04:41 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5

classic

Nice work!

Great Job on the repair!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 AM
thundertruck
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My Driver's Information Center display started flickering bright , dim, bright, today. Never had any problems with it before. It has been a bit warm here the last week, like 111-119 degrees. Is it possible that the hot weather has taken it's toll on my invertor circuit board? I monitored the voltage display tonight while driving, and it fluctuated from 13.6 down to 12.2 volts. The A/C blower motor speed did not vary with the fluctuations, and neither did the headlight intensity. When I got home I checked voltage at the battery, alternator output, and cigar lighter socket with a DOVM, and none of the readings fluctuated when the DIC volts display did. The voltage fluctuates erratically weather the car is moving or not. So far, all the different screens will still display, they just flicker. I did not check it with the engine off, perhaps I should.

So do you think my invertor is causing this, or is there something else that could be the culprit?

Thanks in advance for your input. I always get good advice on this forum.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Noqturnal
2nd Gear

Greetings everyone. I joined the Corvette Forum just to post my first post here. I need some opinions.

I have a 2001 z06. it appears this car has some electrical demons. I bought it used off someone in 2015. At some point my instrument panel freaked out. Random stuff started flashing on the DIC and the gauges would act funny (I've got Youtube vids of this if anyone wants to see). I took it to a Corvette place who referred me to their neighbor which was a auto electric shop. They told me I had to replace the entire cluster. So they ordered me a brand new z06 cluster for my car and had the factory program the mileage into it. This cost me $1,200. Here I am 14 or so months later. I was getting traction control service messages and took it to a place to check it out. They said when they plugged in the OBD scanner they weren't getting a reading from the computer and that there was an issue with the grounds. So they cleaned all the grounds on the car for $270. The next day while driving i had noticed that the temp display was blank. I thought i'd point it out next time I took my car back to the shop. Then as I was driving the DIC died. I smelled the burning electronics smell for the whole trip. I went back to the shop and explained there must have been a short or something because my DIC just fried and my clock and temp displays are going off and on. (the clock I've only caught going out once). I also explained I had just replaced the cluster last year (Looked up the receipt, 12 month warranty but i'm at the 14 month mark)

So research monkey activated and I found this exact thread. It brings me hope. So I started looking for Corvette Recycle shops and sending emails to various websites about obtaining an inverter board for a c5 IPC. Dino's replied to me last night and said they do sell the boards but that that is where the mileage is stored.....(which I don't believe them) and that it would cost me $150 to order one I have yet to take my cluster out and verify that the Inverter Board is the component that fried. But any advice from you guys? Are you positive the mileage info is stored in the main board of the cluster (which is believable to me, maybe he thinks i'm asking for the entire mainboard and not the lil inverter board)

Thanks in advance to those who read this. It's my first post

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my broken DIC

Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Noqturnal
...Are you positive the mileage info is stored in the main board of the cluster (which is believable to me, maybe he thinks i'm asking for the entire mainboard and not the lil inverter board)...
Hey, welcome aboard!

Yes, the mileage is stored in a little EEPROM in the main board. There is a writeup with step-by-step directions on how to move the chip from one IPC to another, in case you want to tackle that task

Last edited by GCG; 05-19-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Noqturnal
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GCG
Hey, welcome aboard!

Yes, the mileage is stored in a little EEPROM in the main board. There is a writeup with step-by-step directions on how to move the chip from one IPC to another, in case you want tackle that task
Do you happen to have the link to that writeup?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great info so far and for what might be posted next.

Quick Reply: Fixed my broken DIC