C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever just replace the AC compressor clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ever just replace the AC compressor clutch?

Last summer the AC took a dump. I suspect it's just the clutch on the compressor. It started rattling but was still blowing cold. That lasted about two weeks, then one night I turned it off and the next morning, nothing. I couldn't even visually confirm the clutch engaging when AC was selected.
I know the system has a pressure switch that will cut off the system if the refrigerant level drops, but this thing was still really cold the last time it worked. I think if it was losing refrigerant I probably wouldn't get a mechanical warning (rattle) and the temp would just gradually get warmer, which it didn't.
So, since I'm broke, I'm considering just replacing the clutch, or at least verifying that the clutch is (or isn't) truly the problem.
Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

i have replaced the a/c compressor clutch (only) on a few cars (not vette)... and have seen a lot of cars where the a/c clutch went out and also caused damage to the compressor where the clutch mounts.....

make sure you are ready to do the job right.... at least the compressor has its own drive belt, so it is independent of the other front mount accessories.... (if you don't have the $$$ to fix it now)
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Well crap! Just checked stuff out again and sure enough the clutch does engage. The rattle is now gone though. Go figure. But even on high, it's just blowing ambient air. If I did spring a leak, and that's what it's looking like now, it must have dumped it all in pretty short order.
But then again, I thought this had a switch for low and high head pressure. Am I wrong? I do have one three pin switch on what I think is the suction line (skinny line up by the coolant reservoir).
FWIW, the only code it throws is the ubiquitous B0361 (and frankly, I don't give two chits about that if the AC would blow cold).
Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

the compressor needs to be removed to swap out the clutch. not only that, but it requires 2 or 3 GM specific tools to remove it. if you are removing the compressor, you may as well put a new one back in. if you heard a rattle in the past, chances are it will come back.

i had an ac clutch go out, and this is the route i took.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Anybody happen to know which compressor our cars use? Jegs sells Sanden 7176 and 508 models for $262. That's a pretty dang good deal based on what I'm getting priced at the local parts houses.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just adding -- When you lose refrigerant, it can get colder initially. To the point where it actually freezes up. Eventually though, it doesn't cool anymore.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 PM
NoradIV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this post is old, but can someone explain why I just can't replace the clutch? I have a case of the clutch dragging on the pulley when not engaged.

I am facing this problem now, and I would really like to avoid 2500+$ to replace a completely functioning AC compressor.

Last edited by NoradIV; 05-14-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:36 AM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 378 Likes on 268 Posts

You can just replace the clutch. I did it on a Cobalt that had a noisy bearing. I did have to remove the compressor from it's mount and get it on an angle so I could remove the clutch. It worked out fine since the compressor was ok otherwise. Not sure how much room there is in the Vette to do it like this.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by NoradIV
I know this post is old, but can someone explain why I just can't replace the clutch? I have a case of the clutch dragging on the pulley when not engaged.

I am facing this problem now, and I would really like to avoid 2500+$ to replace a completely functioning AC compressor.
You can...but you need to remove the water pump and remove the compressor completely. If you are doing that much work you might as well replace the whole compressor. The parts cost is very small compared to the labor.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

$2500 I bought a compressor kit from a local place for $285 several years back. Came with everything I needed except time and Freon.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Le Mans Master

I you are talking about taking it to a shop to have it replaced then the new compressor is the way to go. Here's why. You need to pay labor for the mechanic to remove the water pump and then remove the compressor. Do you then want to pay that guy $100 additional labor to put $100 worth of parts on your old compressor? Wouldn't you rather spend $250-$300 on a new one with no additional labor?
Either way requires the system to be opened, new collector, orifice tube, vacuum, recharge. You are already spending for all of that you might as well get a new compressor.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:54 PM
NoradIV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer:30
I you are talking about taking it to a shop to have it replaced then the new compressor is the way to go. Here's why. You need to pay labor for the mechanic to remove the water pump and then remove the compressor. Do you then want to pay that guy $100 additional labor to put $100 worth of parts on your old compressor? Wouldn't you rather spend $250-$300 on a new one with no additional labor?
Either way requires the system to be opened, new collector, orifice tube, vacuum, recharge. You are already spending for all of that you might as well get a new compressor.
Oh, I agree, but the compressor here in canada is more like 700-800$, and the job total is going to cost me in the 2000+$. That is a lot of money for a stupid part that is worth about 100$ here.

The problem is not the pulley, its because the clutch springs are worn out and don't pull the clutch assembly far enough from the pulley, which end up rubbing together.

I was trying to see if there was a way to just pull the clutch assembly out of the compressor and put a new one, which would save a couple thousand dollars, especially since that car will likely end up as a full racing chassis in a couple years. I just want to get the AC back until then, because I love driving this thing.

There is a video where the guy suggest to simply unscrew the motor from the mounts and lift it an inch or two to remove the compressor. Maybe that would work for the pulley?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ater-pump.html

Last edited by NoradIV; 05-27-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Le Mans Master

I also looked into the engine jacking thing but decided the water pump removal was the best way to go. I also replaced it while I was there.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:36 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You just have to move the compressor or rack enough to get a clutch plate tool on it and pull the clutch plate off just enough it quits dragging. Fairly easy fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever just replace the AC compressor clutch?

Quick Reply: Ever just replace the AC compressor clutch?