C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LS Engine Builder/Tuner in TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Check out ENGLANDGREEN in Huston. QUALITY WORK with an OUTSTANDING Reputation! MANY MANY VERY HAPPY Customers! Give Jason & Stephen a call and discuss your goals and performance expectations! I’m positive you will be impressed!

Just Search ENGLANDGREEN in the C5 and C6 Tech section and you will get tons of post.

Here is one example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...6599-00-a.html
Originally Posted by JACK1971
EnglandGreen all the way, you will be impressed
Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
Another vote to check out England Green. I didn't have mod work done, but had a fuel sending unit and other repairs. They did a great job and I would use them again.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
KGA 99vert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EnglandGreen or ARD in Houston. I know many people that have had Corvettes and Camaros built by ARD and are very happy with them.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:18 PM
zavod
Racer

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
Another vote to check out England Green. I didn't have mod work done, but had a fuel sending unit and other repairs. They did a great job and I would use them again.
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Check out ENGLANDGREEN in Huston. QUALITY WORK with an OUTSTANDING Reputation! MANY MANY VERY HAPPY Customers! Give Jason & Stephen a call and discuss your goals and performance expectations! I’m positive you will be impressed!

Just Search ENGLANDGREEN in the C5 and C6 Tech section and you will get tons of post.

Here is one example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...6599-00-a.html
Originally Posted by JACK1971
EnglandGreen all the way, you will be impressed

I used them once for a cam job and I will not let them work on my car again!

Last edited by zavod; 05-14-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:05 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by zavod
I used them once for a cam job and I will not let them work on my car again!
That's a first!?!?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 PM
zavod
Racer

Originally Posted by cmb396
That's a first!?!?
My experience with EG hasn't been the best so I will not be a returning customer.

Not looking to start anything but I dont believe they are the best in Texas!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My experience with EG hasn't been the best so I will not be a returning customer.

Not looking to start anything but I dont believe they are the best in Texas!
Ahhh,,,, So it was more of a personal conflict thing rather than a problem with an install..
Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

"Too expensive..."
Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Folks, I am interested in your opinions regarding the best build/tune shop in Texas...I have had some experience with LG but I am still interested in feedback on other shops.
I had LG install Street Pro L/T headers and tune my 2002 A4. Liked the work, but they were a bit far to drive to.

So I am now going to work with Quality Motorsports ("QM") in Lewisville (on the 121 Business split off of the 121 Tollroad). I just dropped off the car this AM to let them:
1. Install AFR 210 heads and a mild cam from Comp Cams.
2. Put in a new timing belt (just in case).
3. Put in a 160 degree thermostat.
4. Port my LS6 air intake and port/polish the stock throttle body.
5. Do a tune, including attention to the automatic transmission (I want crisper shifts).
6. Install Z51 sway bars and newe end links.

If you are interested I will let you know the results and my reactions after I pick up the car (next weekend).

The car dyno'd 335+ torque and 338+ hp after the LG install/tune session in November 2010. So I have a baseline against which to measure incremental gains from the work QM is doing [I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison since, among other things, measurements will be on a different dyno and the ambient temperature this month will be 20 to 30 degrees warmer than it was in mid-November. But still...]. I am hoping to see 380+ torque and 390+ hp numbers, but we will see.

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 05-14-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 PM
zavod
Racer

Originally Posted by EG@EnglandGreen
"Too expensive..."
Yeah.. Way too expensive for the customer service I got from them... Also the stripped battery bolt, coolant tank issue, they couldnt program a standard 98 C5 keyfob and just notice last week missing bolts, loose bolts & bolts not in the right places on the valve covers...

Thats some top notch service for a $2800 cam install.

But Im not going to get into a pissing match with anyone over my experience with EG. I just wont be back!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Yeah.. Way too expensive for the customer service I got from them... Also the stripped battery bolt, coolant tank issue, they couldnt program a standard 98 C5 keyfob and just notice last week missing bolts, loose bolts & bolts not in the right places on the valve covers...

Thats some top notch service for a $2800 cam install.

But Im not going to get into a pissing match with anyone over my experience with EG. I just wont be back!

Seriously? $500.00 off our normal pricing, a 2 day turnaround from the time of order until your car was back in your hands because we helped you with your schedule and you tried to blame us for your coolant level sensor not working because we drained the coolant?

As far as the bolts, impossible. We have a system in place that guarantees a bolt will not go missing, but anyhoooooo, can't please everyone...

Just do a search for your previous threads. You were happy with everything but the price and the coolant sensor...

Can't program a FOB? Lol

My one and only response.

Jason
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM
zavod
Racer

Wasnt just a loose battery connection. The actual battery terminal brass bolt had been stripped. Easy fix replaced bolt. Also when my battery got disconnect it lost usage on the key fob's. When I asked what was up with my key fob not working I was told that it wasnt working when it got there and my window werent working either. This was an easy fix too basically looked online and reprogramed my key fob right there in the parking lot. All of this took place in sub freezing weather with no one from the shop even walking out with me to look over my car.

Yes I had a couple buddies with me at the time of pickup but you guys should have put personal hobbies on the back burner for a few minutes and took of your paying customer first.

That coolant tank wasnt very old and was in prefect working condition previous of the cam job. I was more upset to the fact that you guy blew it off as being a old car. The coolant was drained and replaced at your shop so I feel it is logical something happened during this process. I have already fixed this problem with a little reading online on how to get the sensor back functioning.

Never had a problem with the price. I decided to take my car to you for a complete package deal. Your prices are a little on the high side but from recommendations from other about your customer service I chose England Green. So now with the overall service I recieved I felt it would have been better to take my car to a cheaper location.

As discussed with stephen about the dip stick. He told me while my car was on the dyno he would sell me his setup off his car since he didnt need it right now. The price was $30 or $40 bucks. I told him to do it. If that amount wasnt included in my final ticket which I still have yet to recieve, then I can drop the cash off anytime.

I actually stated that your turn around time was very quick. You guys got my car out a few days faster than expected. This wasnt a concern of mine.

I told you on the phone that I like the cam and the tune was top notch. I just felt your customer service was lacking. I felt belittled for having a slighty older Vette. I was told many time that car was just old and had 1998 problems which just happen. Maybe they do have some quirks. But that really doesnt explain the poor customer service I recieved. Hopefully everyone involved will learn from this and keep heading forward.
This is the post from the other thread. I have since found the missing, loose and bolts installed in the wrong locations on the valve covers.

As I said earlier I dont want to get into a pissing match with EG or anyone for that matter. Im just stating my experience with EG. Take it however you want.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

HKE for the engine build, he's going to do my engine work on my new motor(I do my own installs), England Green or Lethal performance in San Antonio for the install...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I retract my earlier statement! This is somewhat amusing and since I just sat down to have a Gentleman Jack watching "Monster House" with my 5 year old, it sparked my attention to throw out a response, yet again. So, please, excuse my lengthy response but I couldn't resist.

Well actually, kid's cartoon movies aren't too bad. I like that scene when Marlin tells Dory (in Finding Nemo), "There's something wrong with you..." Grrr... back on track...

This is the post from the other thread. I have since found the missing, loose and bolts installed in the wrong locations on the valve covers.

As I said earlier I dont want to get into a pissing match with EG or anyone for that matter. Im just stating my experience with EG. Take it however you want.

Actually, I, we, take our business VERY seriously so I will make one more response so everyone, and you, can take it how they/YOU want it.
  • One thing about EnglandGreen is we do not have a bunch of kids working for us or hanging around at the shop.
  • We take our customer service VERY seriously.
  • We please the customer every chance we get a lot of time when it is unwarranted.
  • We not only take pride in our work but our main goal is our long term customer satification. Period. Not their immediate gratification. So we take extra steps to insure this reaction.

To this day, I can literally count 3, maybe 4 customers (one being you) that I could have this same argument with which come nowhere near the hundreds of happy customers. We obviously had a disconnection in our project with you. You are obviously not happy and we will take some blame for that because after all, you are the customer. However, there comes a time in business where you have to draw the line and by me even responding in this thread, you are making me draw the line.

Just a quick little timeline (we keep everything):

Total job cost out the door - $2,692.72. Close to $2800.00

1/31/11 - We informed you that we had a cam kit in stock and we could take care of you. You requested a quick time line.

2/1/11 - You said, "Mark that cam kit as sold." Kinda on a strict timeline so we would try to get you out fast.

2/2/11 - You dropped your 98 Vert off at our facility.

2/3/11 (3:26:56 p.m.) - You sent an email checking status.

2/3/11 - (3:31:12 p.m.) Our response, "Please check the email I sent 3 minutes ago." Your Vette is ready for pickup. Not to mention that we paid overtime to make it happen. Dyno chart here.

2/7/11 - Customer question - "Stephen,

I wanted to get with you about the sticker / decals deal we talked about. The new found power has killed my clutch this past weekend. So Im looking to get it replaced ASAP! I spoke with Jason briefly about trading out decals for a clutch job he sounded very interested in making a deal.

Also what clutch do you guys recommend? I'm probably going to upgrade some more stuff in the future but don't see going over 650HP mark... Do you guys keep any clutches in stock? Are there any benefits from running a light flywheel? I would like to do it right the first time so Im thinking ( Clutch Kit, Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder, Remote Bleed Setup )

So what are you guys needing as far as decals? Windshield Headers, Back Glass Decals and ??

Could you supply me with the fonts or some vector art of your logo?

What colors? Qntys? Sizes? "

Follow up email from Zavod regarding doing a little horsetrading for a clutch install for EnglandGreen decals. We responded that we were interested but have not had time to discuss it.

2/11/11 - Responded to horsetrading and stated customer to pay for parts and we would work deal on labor for decals and asked about doing vehicle wraps.

2/11/11 - Customer response, "Stephen,

I had the same thing in mind. Do you stock any clutches or know what clutch I should run?
Im going to be upgrading to a SC kit in the near future I think and only want to do it right the first time for the clutch...

Currently I only make die cut decals.... Been thinking about buying a machine to do wraps....

When would you have time available for an install?"

2/21/11 - After we first heard of customer (from a third party) trying to blame us for the coolant sensor. "

Hi xxxxxx,

We decided not to do any trades. The install price for a clutch is $900 plus $100 to R&R headers. If you are supplying the parts, please include the GM pilot bearing, GM flywheel bolts, GM C5 Z06 slave cylinder and a remote bleeder along with the complete clutch system (clutch, pressure plate and flywheel).

Customer response - "Stephen & Jason,

No problems on not doing the trade for decals. It really wasnt worth the effort in making the decals since your guys only needed a few. My time is just as valuable to me as yours is to you.

I really like the cam you guys installed in my car and the tune is top notch but after thinking about things Im really not happy with the customer services you guys provided me. Your shop was recomended highly by some friends and I felt your prices to be alittle on the high side but was ok with it had your customer service been better.

I dont know one shop in the world that would have allowed a customer to borrow and tighten up a loose bolt on their car that was still in their own shops parking lot. That has really been bothering me alot. I know you guys got my car out fast and did a good job but this and the sensor thing still has me puzzled...

I know I may not have a nice ZO6 C6 (sic, actually a C5) but you know I like my C5 and she is all mine. I felt as if your company be littled me for not having a super nice car...

Best Regards,"

The month of March - Several email regarding upgrading gears, etc...

3/4/11 - Customer asked about Patriot heads. I responded I could not recommend them and if he has them, please install himself because the gains are minimal and we would feel bad for charging money to install them. We will not sell them.

3/4/11 - Customer inquired about re-tune after self installed blower. I offered customer $500.00 ($100.00 off ) for re-tune. Customer not happy with that answer. Would of gotten it for cheaper if he hadn't of tried the coolant sensor .

3/19/11 - Customer inquired if we kept his old balancer. My notes tell me customer was a little upset that we tossed it after putting on the underdrive pulley which is included with our cam kit. Customer also asked if we would rent a balancer pin kit for him to install a used supercharger system. I said no, customer seemed a little agitated that I said no. Customer also asked if he should keep UD pulley. I said no, put a stock size back on.

Now to address your specific comments...

"Wasnt just a loose battery connection. The actual battery terminal brass bolt had been stripped. Easy fix replaced bolt. Also when my battery got disconnect it lost usage on the key fob's. When I asked what was up with my key fob not working I was told that it wasnt working when it got there and my window werent working either. This was an easy fix too basically looked online and reprogramed my key fob right there in the parking lot. All of this took place in sub freezing weather with no one from the shop even walking out with me to look over my car."

Absolutely easy fix. However, an 8mm bolt on a Vette battery is something that comes into our shop on a daily basis. This is the reason we use 12pt. extra long Snap On box end wrenches to loosen them. 9 times out of 10, they are already stripped! FOB, yea, ok, I never did see it work but my customer service sense tells me we should of fixed it for you. Our apologies, as I stated it to you on the phone on a couple of occasions. In any event, no, we do not look for things wrong with customer cars and fix them automatically. Do you know how many times we get cars in that the key FOBs do not work?

"Yes I had a couple buddies with me at the time of pickup but you guys should have put personal hobbies on the back burner for a few minutes and took of your paying customer first."

Our personal hobbies? I'll agree and disagree. One of our hobbies (myself and Stephen, the owners) is guns. We staunchly support guns, owning guns, shooting guns, carrying guns, etc. YOU are an avid collector, your ride over to our shop (another customer) is an avid collector and a manufacturer, were talking multiple dozens between the two of you, and whoever else came with ya'll... We were all engaged in the conversation at around 7:00 p.m., after our closing time because we were waiting for you to pick up. At no time did you seem dissatisfied with the conversation. Yes, we will take a bit of blame for not initiating immediate attention to your car but sometimes we get caught up in treating our customer too much like friends which judging from this experience can backfire on you. Our apologies.

"That coolant tank wasnt very old and was in prefect working condition previous of the cam job. I was more upset to the fact that you guy blew it off as being a old car. The coolant was drained and replaced at your shop so I feel it is logical something happened during this process. I have already fixed this problem with a little reading online on how to get the sensor back functioning."

I can see your argument and it may well be a new tank, new sensor, whatever. But seriously, do you honestly thing that EnglandGreen should be held responsible for a malfunctioning sensor because we drained your coolant tank to change the cam?

"Never had a problem with the price. I decided to take my car to you for a complete package deal. Your prices are a little on the high side but from recommendations from other about your customer service I chose England Green. So now with the overall service I recieved I felt it would have been better to take my car to a cheaper location."

Compare apples to apples and the $500.00 discount you received. One thing we do not do is up-sell our customers once there car is in our shop. Our cam package is a complete package. Are we the cheapest in town? Absolutely not. Are we the most expensive? Nope. We have a full fledged business. There are several places around town that are either hurting for business, work out of their backyard, have no overhead....etc. You would be surprised at the things you hear in this industry once you are in business about how other shops operate. It is amazing what some people get away with. We install and tune in house. You can always find a mom and pop shop that is cheaper. That's business. Just remember, you always get what you pay for. In this instance, you did not feel so...

"As discussed with stephen about the dip stick. He told me while my car was on the dyno he would sell me his setup off his car since he didnt need it right now. The price was $30 or $40 bucks. I told him to do it. If that amount wasnt included in my final ticket which I still have yet to recieve, then I can drop the cash off anytime."

Never said you didn't want to pay this. Personally I couldn't give two poops about $40.00 for a dipstick and a bolt. That's our customer service and just an typical extra we would do.

"I told you on the phone that I like the cam and the tune was top notch. I just felt your customer service was lacking. I felt belittled for having a slighty older Vette. I was told many time that car was just old and had 1998 problems which just happen. Maybe they do have some quirks. But that really doesnt explain the poor customer service I recieved. Hopefully everyone involved will learn from this and keep heading forward."

I'm glad you felt our work was top notch. That is what we strive for. We also hold that same thought to our customer service and I am saddened that you did not get that. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with the older Vettes. We treat all customers the same. As I did on the phone to you several times, I can only apologize that you do not feel the same.

We have no intention to get into a "pissing match" with you either but we take our reputation very seriously so you got two responses out of me! In any event, this one didn't work out for you, or us. I wish you the best luck with your car.

Jason

Last edited by Cajundude; 05-15-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
zavod
Racer

Originally Posted by Cajundude@EnglandGreen
Well actually, kid's cartoon movies aren't too bad. I like that scene when Marlin tells Dory (in Finding Nemo), "There's something wrong with you..." Grrr... back on track...
I retract all my statements since its apparent "There's something wrong with me!"

Originally Posted by Cajundude@EnglandGreen
3/4/11 - Customer inquired about re-tune after self installed blower. I offered customer $500.00 ($100.00 off ) for re-tune. Customer not happy with that answer. Would of gotten it for cheaper if he hadn't of tried the coolant sensor .
Is this the professionalism you get from England Green if you openly post something negative about work they did to your car?

I do thank you again for making me feel belittled!

I only stated in general my experience with England Green and why I would not go back.

If someone is asking for information why wouldnt I tell them about my experiences with a shop good or bad! It is up to them to make that decision on who to use!

In life you will win some & lose some... I feel overall I lost at EG so I am just taking it with a grain of salt...

Last edited by zavod; 05-15-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Needed to vent!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 AM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You could check out Late Model Racecraft or G-Force. I know they crank out some serious cars.... Both are in the Houston area.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Shady
Instructor

I went to ETMC, they are a drive but they did a great job with my car
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have erik build the motor & let taylor @ dallas performance tune u can't go wwrong with erik koeing building ur motor,or arun @ champion motors,these 2 guys are the best in the buisiness

Get notified of new replies

To Best LS Engine Builder/Tuner in TX

Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
jthurik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dallas Performance

I meet Taylor after a really bad experience with a different shop in TX and he treated me right on a under a 1k mod. I now have him building my complete 2010 GS Motor, Trans, Procharger and too much to list. He went thru my build sheet with me and helped me build the car exactly for what I wanted and how I wanted it built and helped me make the correct choices. They put up with me calling daily and even changing the build out after we started. I trust who they use, the work they do and how they go over every part. I would not take my car anywhere else and feel 200% confident I made the right choice. They are not the cheapest but you get what you pay for in this world and if you building the car you want it done right. I researched and researched and even talked to others that had work done there hands down my choice and personal recommendation (which has only ever gone out to Gateway Harley Davidson in my life time)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd thrown in either DP or QM.
I've used QM and been thoroughly pleased with their work. DP has done fantastic work on a few friends' cars that are more quad digit focused. Sooo the better question is...

How big is your budget?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

We offer only HKE precision racing engines for a reason. Simply one of the very best reputations in the world.

We can set you up with the engine and then use one of preferred installer/ tuners to get the rest of it done for you.
PatrickG is who Erik recommends for out personal work. I can save you the 8.3% sales tax on the engine and set things up for you with Patrick.

Quick Reply: Best LS Engine Builder/Tuner in TX