C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Y2KDon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer install

I have a 2000 C5 with 189K and my balancer failed...after following Ls1howto's great instructions, I'm ready to install my new Professional Products replacement balancer. Now here's my problem, the old balancer was paint marked and the new one has a keyway, which of course, the crank snout does not have....Where do I install the new balancer on the crank?...the paint marking is visible on the crank snout, but where do I line it up with the balancer?...I called PP's tech support line and was told "anywhere, the computer makes up for it"!...With as much work as is required to replace the balancer, I only want to take it apart once!!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:32 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Y2KDon
I have a 2000 C5 with 189K and my balancer failed...after following Ls1howto's great instructions, I'm ready to install my new Professional Products replacement balancer. Now here's my problem, the old balancer was paint marked and the new one has a keyway, which of course, the crank snout does not have....Where do I install the new balancer on the crank?...the paint marking is visible on the crank snout, but where do I line it up with the balancer?...I called PP's tech support line and was told "anywhere, the computer makes up for it"!...With as much work as is required to replace the balancer, I only want to take it apart once!!
tech support line was right
Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

You can install it anywhere, and did you know you're about 90% labor-wise to a cam install?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

And if you follow LS1howto for installation there is a very high likelihood of damaging the threads in the crank

Proceed at your own risk, that site has caused many damaged crank threads.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM
aquachuck1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hormonic balance

Why not pin the balance now?. Suggest you put a new oil seal on the timing chain cover before you install the HB..... if that goes in the near future you will be doing all that work over again.....good luck
Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

it's really not a balancer, more like a damper. that is why position is not critical
Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
And if you follow LS1howto for installation there is a very high likelihood of damaging the threads in the crank

Proceed at your own risk, that site has caused many damaged crank threads.
Are you talking about the part where he says to take the old crank bolt and use it to push the balancer back on?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
Are you talking about the part where he says to take the old crank bolt and use it to push the balancer back on?
Yes. There is a balancer install tool that you will need to press it on.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
That's part of it, also the final tightening uses a torque value that is incorrect, you need to rotate the stock bolt after an initial torque to a specified number of degrees rotation. Here is a tool I made to install that will not damage the threads, it cost less than $20. You should follow the service manual for this. I also agree with the above, you should change the front seal while the harmonic damper is out of the car.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the Hawk install tool and it worked great. Do a search on this forum and you will find it. You have to an install tool for good results.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you install a new aftermarket damper,, it is most likely ZERO balanced. Unless you have a machine shop, match balance the new damper to the old,, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did a power bond damper and just installed it. Had NO issues. I also pinned it to the crank.

RECOMMENDATION! You already have access to the timing chain and oil pump. Recommend installing an up graded LS2 timing chain and a new oil pump. Your chain is most likely SHOT and ready to die if it has never been changed.

A new Melling Oil Pump will do wonders for your oil pressure!!

BC

BC
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Manual transmission dampners cannot be installed anywhere on the crank pulley unless you are using a fluid style dampner.
The service manual states you must match mark the old dampner to the crank snout and install the new at the same relative location to the crank shaft snout and to transfer any balance weights that are present from the old to the new balancer.
VETTENUTS is correct, following the service manual procedure with this installation is critical. The dampner and snout are a tapered fit, they will not come apart if installed correctly to the required torque value.
Pinning the new dampner is not necessary unless you plan on installing a blower; you can do some irreversible damage to the crank shaft if you do not have the correct tools and know what you are doing.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree 100% BUT,,,,,,, what do you do IF,,, you install an AFTERMARKET DAMPER that does NOT have any balance marks or places to insert off set weights.

Like I stated previously, you could have the old and new balancer/damper matched and then install the matched new damper to the reference marks.

BC
Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I agree 100% BUT,,,,,,, what do you do IF,,, you install an AFTERMARKET DAMPER that does NOT have any balance marks or places to insert off set weights.

Like I stated previously, you could have the old and new balancer/damper matched and then install the matched new damper to the reference marks.

BC
I would not use an aftermarket balancer unless it was a fluid style dampner for this application. At least one aftermarket dampner has been known to cause premature timing chain failures as a result of imbalance issues.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
That's part of it, also the final tightening uses a torque value that is incorrect, you need to rotate the stock bolt after an initial torque to a specified number of degrees rotation. Here is a tool I made to install that will not damage the threads, it cost less than $20. You should follow the service manual for this. I also agree with the above, you should change the front seal while the harmonic damper is out of the car.

I just got the correct size bolt from Fastenal in a longer length. (I think it was 135mm long) That and a couple of matching nuts/washers is all it takes to easily, and safely, re-install the dampner. Some people are strictly "by-the-book", but there's no need to waste money/time on a special tool, in this instance. As far as the ls1howto's TQ info, I thought their method was to use the original bolt, and TQ it to a certain value; then remove it, and put in the new bolt, tighten it to the same value, and then another 240 degrees? (it's been a long time, so my not be exact) This method was used by hundreds of people, and it worked great for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I went one route even less cash. I used an OLD Damper Bolt, removed the head and welded it to some standard ALL Thread:

Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipuig
The dampner and snout are a tapered fit,
Really?

I've never read that anywhere before. When I installed mine it certainally didn't install as if anything was tapered.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer install

Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ipuig
Manual transmission dampners cannot be installed anywhere on the crank pulley unless you are using a fluid style dampner.
The service manual states you must match mark the old dampner to the crank snout and install the new at the same relative location to the crank shaft snout and to transfer any balance weights that are present from the old to the new balancer.
VETTENUTS is correct, following the service manual procedure with this installation is critical. The dampner and snout are a tapered fit, they will not come apart if installed correctly to the required torque value.
Pinning the new dampner is not necessary unless you plan on installing a blower; you can do some irreversible damage to the crank shaft if you do not have the correct tools and know what you are doing.
The dampner and snout are a tapered fit, they will not come apart if installed correctly to the required torque value. Pinning the new dampner is not necessary unless you plan on installing a blower; you can do some irreversible damage to the crank shaft if you do not have the correct tools and know what you are doing.

" The dampner and snout are a tapered fit, they will not come apart if installed correctly to the required torque value."

ABSOLUTY NOT! THE DAMPER AND SNOUT ARE A MACHINED PRESSED FIT! Not a tapered fit!!

When you remove the damper with a three fingered puller,,,,,, its just as snug when you start as when its near the end of the crank!

If you incorrectly tighten the the bolt, the damper will spin on the crank.

If it is pinned, it wont spin it will just walk forward.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 AM
ipuig
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The dampner and snout are a tapered fit, they will not come apart if installed correctly to the required torque value. Pinning the new dampner is not necessary unless you plan on installing a blower; you can do some irreversible damage to the crank shaft if you do not have the correct tools and know what you are doing.

" The dampner and snout are a tapered fit, they will not come apart if installed correctly to the required torque value."

ABSOLUTY NOT! THE DAMPER AND SNOUT ARE A MACHINED PRESSED FIT! Not a tapered fit!!

When you remove the damper with a three fingered puller,,,,,, its just as snug when you start as when its near the end of the crank!

If you incorrectly tighten the the bolt, the damper will spin on the crank.

If it is pinned, it wont spin it will just walk forward.
Whether you consider the dampner to be a tapered or interference fit, the fact remains, if installed correctly IAW the service manual procedure it will not come off. I stand by my original statement with regards to pinning.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
ibfuelish
Heel & Toe

Those of you searching for service manual help...I found this link to be helpful.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html

It is a subscription service for technicians. Since its not actually a GM product, I'd be careful...however, the description on how to do this harmonic balancer install seems spot on per all the threads. It clearly lays out the method to torque the new bolt and to actually use the old bolt AFTER AND ONLY AFTER using the proper install tool, then installing new bolt to torque angle specs.

I am currently fighting with getting the steering gear to clear the cross member on the drivers side wheel well. And am looking for the thread that I know is in here with regards to that.

Mike

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer install