C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter box, MGW says replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
1powdercoater
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Shifter box, MGW says replace

Hello,

I am planning on installing a MGW shifter in my 2002 Z06. MGW suggests I replace the shifter box also. They state that if the car is 3-4 years old and has more then 25K miles to replace it when I do the shifter. My car has 31K.
I dont have a problem with doing that although I prefer not to spend money I don't need to. I am posting this because out of all the shifter posts I haven't really read any mention of this.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

How much does the 'shifter box' cost from Gene Culley? I've been using the MGW shifter in my C5 for years now - it's awesome, and simply the best! I use the MGW shifter in my Mustang GT too. Exceptional quality.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
How much does the 'shifter box' cost from Gene Culley? .
Unless something has changed, I have never seen the box available separately.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

I would install the MGW shifter with the parts provided and not worry about purchasing any new GM parts - just as I did.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

was told same thing from MGW but just changed the shifter and it works great.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
1powdercoater
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Default shift box

Thats what I'm going to do then also. Napa couldn't find it listed for me and the one dealer I called said you had to buy it with the stock shifter as an assembly for $399.00.
MGW says they will have more built in a couple weeks.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thats a bunch of BS!!! The ONLY reason that you would have to replace the SHIFT BOX would be failure of the RUBBER BUSHINGS that mount the box to the TORQUE TUBE OR if you have a defective shift ball bushing on the bottom of the shifter!

YOUR ZO6 has SOLID ALUMINUM BUSHINGS!!!!!!!!!! They will last a LIFE TIME!

KIRBAN SHIFTER on a ZO6 Shift box:

Name:  DSCF0055-4.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  317.6 KB

Stock ZO6 Box with aluminum bushing:
Name:  Neturalpin.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  DSCF0056.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  124.0 KB

Stock vs KIRBAN with the shifter ball bushing

Unless your stock NON ZO6 rubber mounting bushings are completly SHOT, theres nothing wrong with your stock box.
You can NOT order new OEM bushings rubber or aluminum or the shifter ball bushing separtely. So the only way to get new bushings would be to order a new box (it comes with bushings) or make your own. Some aftermarket shifters come with new nylon bushings like B&M.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 12-01-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

One of the forum vendors sells reproduction rubber grommets now. The price is $21/pair...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Thats a bunch of BS!!! The ONLY reason that you would have to replace the SHIFT BOX would be failure of the RUBBER BUSHINGS that mount the box to the TORQUE TUBE OR if you have a defective shift ball bushing on the bottom of the shifter!

Just install the shifter - no need to replace the box
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

KIRBAN SHIFTER on a ZO6 Shift box:

Stock ZO6 Box with aluminum bushing:

Stock vs KIRBAN with the shifter ball bushing

Unless your stock NON ZO6 rubber mounting bushings are completly SHOT, theres nothing wrong with your stock box.
You can NOT order new OEM bushings rubber or aluminum or the shifter ball bushing separtely. So the only way to get new bushings would be to order a new box (it comes with bushings) or make your own. Some aftermarket shifters come with new nylon bushings like B&M.

with all due respect i am not giving my customers a line of BS!!! i dont make a dime on these things they are only sold by gm or gm parts outlets.

watch the video on my site that talks about the box swap and you will see the REASON i suggest it. i have personally installed probably 200 shifters in corvettes over the years and this is MY personal experience. these boxes do NOT last forever and i am NOT talking about only the outer bushings. i am talking about the seals in the rod itself that cause the rough shifting ,

also , since this customer has a z06 he will benefit from less vibration when installing our or ANY other short shifter that does not have the rubbery gooey shifter installed on it . even GM has done away with the z06 solid mount box in all z06 and zr1 vettes since 2009

obviously cars will vary greatly depending on climate they are in. how hard they are driven ie heat generated from racing etc, age and mileage. the best thing to do is to take off your console and inspect it and make an educated decision on it but frankly alot of people HATE removing the console so i just figure its best that if you have that many miles and years on it just get it for the peace of mind

and these boxes do NOT cost 399!!! gm parts house or parts taxui sell the whole unit for 110-140 tops. hell even from the dealer it should be only 180-200

george
The following users liked this post:
sam-garcia (06-10-2023)
Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
with all due respect i am not giving my customers a line of BS!!! i dont make a dime on these things they are only sold by gm or gm parts outlets.

watch the video on my site that talks about the box swap and you will see the REASON i suggest it. i have personally installed probably 200 shifters in corvettes over the years and this is MY personal experience. these boxes do NOT last forever and i am NOT talking about only the outer bushings. i am talking about the seals in the rod itself that cause the rough shifting ,

also , since this customer has a z06 he will benefit from less vibration when installing our or ANY other short shifter that does not have the rubbery gooey shifter installed on it . even GM has done away with the z06 solid mount box in all z06 and zr1 vettes since 2009

obviously cars will vary greatly depending on climate they are in. how hard they are driven ie heat generated from racing etc, age and mileage. the best thing to do is to take off your console and inspect it and make an educated decision on it but frankly alot of people HATE removing the console so i just figure its best that if you have that many miles and years on it just get it for the peace of mind

and these boxes do NOT cost 399!!! gm parts house or parts taxui sell the whole unit for 110-140 tops. hell even from the dealer it should be only 180-200

george
Do you sell the replacement transmission linkage sphere separate? I ask because I got an offer on a used MGW and the seller says Ill need to reuse my old nylon cup and I just want to do it right the first time and not have to dig back in later.
Thanks
Chris
Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

George,

Thank you for designing and producing a QUALITY shifter - a real reliable and flawless performance product for our cars!

I have your shifter in my Corvette C5 and Mustang GT - both outstanding "must have" items.

I've tried others and there is NO comparison. Keep up the good work!

Mike
Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I second Mike's comment George. When I got your shifter I thought that it is so nicely finished and engineered that I didn't want to put the shifter boot back on - and it works as good as it looks. Keep up the exceptional work.

Bob Chapman
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
Do you sell the replacement transmission linkage sphere separate? I ask because I got an offer on a used MGW and the seller says Ill need to reuse my old nylon cup and I just want to do it right the first time and not have to dig back in later.
Thanks
Chris
I thought the MGW shifter eliminated the plastic cup in its design? (It uses a larger "ball" at the end)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:50 AM
prmacho
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George

george
Can someone direct me where I can find video or write up on removing factory shifter box? I have removed the three bolts two on the bushing and one on that hold the rod and I am lost from here on out since the box don't budge. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

You may just need to take a hammer and lightly tap on the shifter box, it is probably just stuck...don't go crazy and break something just tap around the edges and try to get it free... should come right out.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 05-07-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter box, MGW says replace

Quick Reply: Shifter box, MGW says replace