C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft lobe failure - analysis, discussion, pity party

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

My failed cam lobe didn't exactly sound like yours mchicia1. Mine wasn't as distinctly valve train sounding as yours. Yours sounds like it's coming from the rocker arm where mine was less distinct. Very difficult to describe variations of "ticks". In your case, try to isolate which side the tick is coming from, pull the valve cover and check for broken spring or loosened rocker arm bolt. If it all looks ok, then you may need to pull the heads and replace your lifters.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the thread update Chevy!

I am already going to a bigger cam, so I may as well just pull the heads and poke around in there. I have the MLS gasket on there so it is not a big deal pulling and putting back on the heads. Better safe than sorry. This is of course assuming I don't find anything under the valve covers.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My car had a cam starting to do this when i tore it down 4-5 years ago for a broken ringland (much like the op's even). It was in way better shape than these pistures so I sent it to comp and had it reground into a 228 232 xer cam as it was a 232 236 xe grind. It's been working well in a friends car for years.

I don't think it had enough spring pressure or something as I just took out the new stuff after 14k or so and it looks great. Engine had the limiter set low so it was easy to bump it from time to time on the old stuff where it's now at 7k and I never hit it. Same springs as before, but I did shim them for proper seat pressure. Cam is actually a larger 238 242 xer grind.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

This Comp cam came out of 2010 LS3 Camaro. There was a squeeking noise coming from #5 cylinder. Caught it in time so there were no other damage.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy406
Got the block out of the car last night so I can at a minimum replace the cam bearings. I'll have a chat with my machinist to discuss cylinder wear and ring replacement. With the front crandle and engine out of the car I have parts slung everywhere. Need to spend some quality time cleaning parts and organizing the garage again. Taking the hood off by myself last night was a little crazy. I'll be getting an extra set of hands to install it.

You got the hood off by yourself? Geez, I was thinking of getting 2 people to help me so it doesn't get scratched. I just had it repainted 2 months ago.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 2 cams and a set of rollers like this, LG cam and Vengeance cam. Both less than 20k on them. They are currently being mad into camshaft lamps for my enjoyment

2nd time I looked at the cam bearings and saw copper also, new build commenced, never looked at the 1st engine bearings.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Camshaft failures are actually very common amongst Comp Camshafts nowadays. I've got an entire scrap bin full of them that have fallen apart inside engines. Some of them within a matter of 5-8K. We no longer use Comp for this reason.

Someone else mentioned ZDDP in this thread. These engines absolutely do need more Zinc than today's oils offer so everyone reading, do yourselves a favor and grab some Lucas zinc additive and add it to every oil change.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Good info!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Thanks for the thread update Chevy!

I am already going to a bigger cam, so I may as well just pull the heads and poke around in there. I have the MLS gasket on there so it is not a big deal pulling and putting back on the heads. Better safe than sorry. This is of course assuming I don't find anything under the valve covers.
I'm going with ARP head studs, if I have to do this again.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zeevette
I'm going with ARP head studs, if I have to do this again.

You will TOTALY APPRECIATE the head studs once you install them! They are SOOOOO MUCH better than the bolts!

I also installed the ARP Damper Bolt! Another better approach!

Just make absolutely positive that there is NOT ANY leftover coolant and or dirt in the cylinder head bolt holes in the block.

Purchase a tap specifically designed to CLEAN the holes so the studs go all the way to the bottom of the hole!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@SpartanLSX
Camshaft failures are actually very common amongst Comp Camshafts nowadays. I've got an entire scrap bin full of them that have fallen apart inside engines. Some of them within a matter of 5-8K. We no longer use Comp for this reason.

Someone else mentioned ZDDP in this thread. These engines absolutely do need more Zinc than today's oils offer so everyone reading, do yourselves a favor and grab some Lucas zinc additive and add it to every oil change.
I switched to Amsoil Z-Rod for this very reason. Made for flat tappet motors and the 30W is high in the range of 30W requirements.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy406

Old as hell post, but as a Materials Science Engineer, specializing in Metallurgy and Ceramics and since it was drug to the top again...

I would guess the lifter failed and took the cam out with it...

Given the wear of the cam, it wasn't and issue with a bouncing lifter, the lobe was taken out evenly on both sides... When you have bouncing valve train components, its almost always off the nose of the lobe, leaving one side "clean" looking and one side where the landing is, looking rough from the impact of the lifter... It can actually cause a lobe on a cam to have a small concave spot that wears out over time..

Since the nose was taken out, best guess is the lifter was sliding over the nose when the spring pressure went up.

The lifter is showing classic signs of surface fatigue pitting. Origins of that type of failure can be from anything from improper heat treatments, case depth failures, poor lubrication, excessive stress at the interface of the two materials.

Chances are it started when the lifter started to age... The excessive spring pressure made it so the lifter roller didn't roll quite as well as it used to. As soon as it started to slide a little, this is a perfect storm for this type of fatigue. Pitting made the surface of the roller basically sand paper on the cam lobe.

You'll also note, the pitting continues through the surface area where the wear from what I assume was the lifter continues.

However, this is based off two pictures, viewed on the internet, and no hands on work with the specimens.... so just .02 from an educated source.... Just a best guess based on 5 minutes of examining pictures...

Last edited by GoatKart; 10-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Curious if the OP ever tested the corresponding valve spring pressure to see if it was indeed weak as the XFI lobes are pretty soft being they were intended to work with single 918 springs. I have seen this happen with stock cams as well and believe the issue is the oil quality. Comp is the biggest supplier of aftermarket LS camshafts so it is naturally going to have the most number of failures, not necessarily any higher percentage. Though that is debatable with most guys who surely didn't add power to putt around
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I switched to Amsoil Z-Rod for this very reason. Made for flat tappet motors and the 30W is high in the range of 30W requirements.

AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Josh@SpartanLSX

Thanks for the info. I will start doing this after a new cam goes back in.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 255 Posts

Does one need this additive for a stock LS1 also?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:18 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
Does one need this additive for a stock LS1 also?

I think for stock I would run the Mobil-1 High Mileage that keeps many of the additives it had from several years ago rather then the newer version which meets SN requirements and in doing so removes these additives.

Get notified of new replies

To Camshaft lobe failure - analysis, discussion, pity party

Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 255 Posts

I learned something new, I had guessed the high mileage oil was formulated to help old valve seals and gooey gaskets lol.

So, one would want to run this on a newer or brand new Corvette, as well?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:42 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I think for stock I would run the Mobil-1 High Mileage that keeps many of the additives it had from several years ago rather then the newer version which meets SN requirements and in doing so removes these additives.
Is that really true? Why are these oil formulations always changing and removing more and more additives that keep engines from wearing out. I mean the main purpose of oil is to prevent wear.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You will TOTALY APPRECIATE the head studs once you install them! They are SOOOOO MUCH better than the bolts!

I also installed the ARP Damper Bolt! Another better approach!

Just make absolutely positive that there is NOT ANY leftover coolant and or dirt in the cylinder head bolt holes in the block.

Purchase a tap specifically designed to CLEAN the holes so the studs go all the way to the bottom of the hole!
Any good two piece front covers available? I hate the idea of removing the HD just to pull the cam.

Quick Reply: Camshaft lobe failure - analysis, discussion, pity party