C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac problem, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 PM
fs2001
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac problem, help

The air blows colder on the passenger side, is this a controller issue or what? Thanks, Fred
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Cant tell unless you read and post the HVAC DTCs. There are SEVERAL things that it could be. Codes will help pin point it.

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Codes

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:

1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. NOTE! You can read the DTCs with the engine running and or driving down the road but it can distract you. BE careful! Some DTCs clear themselves when you turn the ignition OFF!

2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold OPTIONS
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL four times within a 10-second period.

Initially, on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.
There are two kinds of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current C code indicates a malfunction is present and active in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes.
More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.
Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.
Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except English/Metric (E/M). Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press and hold the RESET button To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles.
Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5. You can GOOGLE the DTC and also find information on it.

Here is very good site that explains the DTCs:

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/C5DTCcode.html

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fs2001
The air blows colder on the passenger side, is this a controller issue or what? Thanks, Fred

The two most common causes we see here at the shop are low Freon and bad actuators. Trouble codes as the above posts indicate will go a long way to leaning in one direction or another. I figured you were from Florida or at least the south to be posting about A/C in December. I'm in St. Pete and we are actually a little chilly today. But its been bouncing back and forth and still hitting the 80's some days.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am having problems with my HVAC system, I am not getting anything on the hot or cold cycles, everything on the head unit seems to be working and i did not get any codes...help please
Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
I am having problems with my HVAC system, I am not getting anything on the hot or cold cycles, everything on the head unit seems to be working and i did not get any codes...help please
Suggest you create a separate Thread since you do not have the same issue. Too hard to diagnosis more than one problem in a Thread.

Get notified of new replies

To ac problem, help

Quick Reply: ac problem, help