C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Sloshing Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Here is the fitting on the fire wall as seen from above:

Old 11-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Christian327
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok thank you brother. With the combination of working late plus daylights savings, it has been difficult for me to check it out while there still is sunlight. The goal is to check it out tomorrow. Thank you all for yalls help!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

Any updates?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Christian327
Racer

I was going to update yesterday but needed to check one last thing. So I cleaned out the udders, nothing was really there. I checked the coolant levels and made sure everything was good on that end, so I dont think its the heater core. Have yet to check the hvac air box like bill curlee has suggested, just been super hard to get home early enough from work. I did check the passenger side carpet for any dampness or anything and there was nothing. I took it to a local shop to get the gear oil changed a couple of days ago and it started to rain heavily again. Once again I heard the water noise, I asked my mechanic to listen and we put it up on the lift. We checked the door and there was nothing at all. We concluded that it water somehow not draining properly toward the rear end. By the time I drove home, the water was gone. It seems like it eventually drains out but after heavy rains, it gets somewhat clogged in. Dont really know what needs to be 'unclogged' since the underside of the vette is totally closed off. For right now, I am just going to take it to a covered spot when it is raining heavy. Dont really know what else to do unless I opened the underside up. Honestly dont even know where the water is even entering still. Maybe from the trunk lining? Thank you again for the concern and any additional help.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Look around the hatch opening. That gutter around the opening has drains and one or more may be plugged. I think there are only openings in each front corner but I'd have to go look at my car to be sure.

I just don't know where else water would pool in the rear of the car without coming into the interior.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Look around the hatch opening. That gutter around the opening has drains and one or more may be plugged. I think there are only openings in each front corner but I'd have to go look at my car to be sure.

I just don't know where else water would pool in the rear of the car without coming into the interior.
This is what I'm thinking it is as well...can't think of anything else either. Do you know I would go about 'unplugging' that part?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The main drains for the hatch area are at the rear of the opening at each corner and they just dump into the body area and on to the ground.

There are also some small drains at the front corners and that drains to the door sill area.

Did you check for water in the AIR BOX?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just thought of something else it could be. Take the TARGA Top off. There's a drain at the rear lip for that area.

Make sure that its clear. You can see where it is on the red car at the very front of the halo bar cover. Dump some water in that drain and see if you can see it drain out.

BC
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Christian327
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The main drains for the hatch area are at the rear of the opening at each corner and they just dump into the body area and on to the ground.

There are also some small drains at the front corners and that drains to the door sill area.

Did you check for water in the AIR BOX?
This picture helps a million! I'm almost 100% positive it is water trying to drain out through the hatch and into the ground but something may be clogging/preventing that from happening quick enough.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:11 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Brake cooler ducts

I see you have added Z06 rear brake cooling ducts, check the drain holes in the duct. It sounds like you drive your car in heavy rains and with cars passing by they could be showering your ducts. Those holes my be clogged and would be a perfect spot for sloshing that you could hear in the passenger compartment. It's a long shot but an easy check
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you run an open garden hose in the lip that surrounds the hatch, it SHOULD run out just as fast as you pour it in. That's an easy check.

Then just pour water in the brake duct and see if it drains.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Christian327
Racer

Thanks for the picture of the brake vents. I had checked that the night of, thinking the same thing, and found nothing. I'll check again for reassurance...I dont drive the car in heavy rain or anything but we just currently dont own a garage so because of that, the car stays in the driveway in bad weather. Ok bill, I will check that out, if it doesnt drain well then is there a simple solution to unclog it? Like I said, I'm almost positive this is what it is now. Or I guess the better question is where does it drain out of the bottom? I guess I wasnt looking hard enough last time I was underneath because I didnt see any drain holes underneath except the four 'jacking' spots.

Quick Reply: Water Sloshing Noise??