C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Z06 Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Driver's side head is off - what a PITA. No damage to the head, valves or piston. The cylinder isn't as clean as the others, making me wonder if it broke a while ago and finally just moved out of position.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:15 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

I thought the spring failure was interesting - I think this failed in two stages as I mentioned above; I had a slight miss and had planned to look at the plugs/wires, but I'm guessing - guessing - that the small break at the top was held by the retainer and it only went totally south when the break at the bottom happened. There's some polishing and witness marks to back that up.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You really got away with one there. Consider yourself very fortunate. I've done the same on a car once. But mine broke and I shut the engine down within 5 seconds. Towed it to where I could check it out. It was running on the damper spring inside was all.

Get that baby back together and breathe a sigh of relief.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:36 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Well, finally finished this up yesterday and fired up with no issues at all.

I went ahead and pulled both heads "while I was in there" as I had experienced some issues with high temps in the past and figured starting from scratch in terms of cooling was worth the extra work.

Overall, it was a fair bit more work than expected, primarily due to mistakes I made in the assembly order where I had to put on A before B. Probably 30 or so hours work all told, but this is also my first time that deep into my engine.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Congrats....
Thanks!

I definitely had one of "those moments" when the time came to fire it up ;-)
Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The jagged break is a sign of harmonics. Your very lucky.

All trunnions will fail. When a needle bearing fails it can finds its way to the oil pump and failure is catastrophic. The bushing in failure mode will wear and your valvetrain will get noisy telling you something is wrong. Same as bushing lifters.

The "report" of bushing material was from one fellow who changed oil in a contaminated oil pan from his tractor. Later on in the thread he publicly states to a board sponsor he wants to make trunnion kits. We have over 5500 sold since February and reports are 99.9% positive.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:23 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Definitely lucky.

Originally Posted by StraubTech
We have over 5500 sold since February and reports are 99.9% positive.
What percentage of CompCams kits have failed, and what was the impact of their failure?

I'm not being combative or disrespectful, I'm simply noting that I've seen a just a few instances of CompCams demonstrating uneven wear patterns on the trunnion on teardown - not failure. The photos in those cases, to me, appear to demonstrate that the bearings weren't installed concentric, i.e. with a pilot bushing, and all appeared to be very high rate aftermarket springs.

Last edited by billla; 08-02-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:29 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Definitely lucky.

What percentage of CompCams kits have failed, and what was the impact of their failure?

I'm not being combative or disrespectful, I'm simply noting that I've seen a just a few instances of CompCams demonstrating uneven wear patterns on the trunnion on teardown - not failure. The photos in those cases, to me, appear to demonstrate that the bearings weren't installed concentric, i.e. with a pilot bushing, and all appeared to be very high rate aftermarket springs.
That's a question for Comp sir. I don't know. We started on the our bushing design last summer. We were not aware of any issue. Once we started shipping product in February people liked the idea of getting away from needle bearings that could potentially cause catastrophic failure. It was then when people started taking apart aftermarket kits that the wear started to show up on the net.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by StraubTech
That's a question for Comp sir. I don't know. We started on the our bushing design last summer. We were not aware of any issue. Once we started shipping product in February people liked the idea of getting away from needle bearings that could potentially cause catastrophic failure. It was then when people started taking apart aftermarket kits that the wear started to show up on the net.
Fair enough - thank you!

Quick Reply: 03 Z06 Engine Problem