C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 z06 normal oil pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 AM
brenbuchler
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 z06 normal oil pressures?

Cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question.

Are my oil pressures fine or am i just paranoid?

2002 c5 z06
Heads/Cam/Intake
BE COOL radiator/fans
Front mount oil cooler

80 degree weather
Coolant temps 175-190
Oil temps 180-190
these are normal operating temps for my car when cruising around town / light to moderate accelerations.

I am seeing oil pressures at idle as low as 23-25 psi and 38-40 cruising at 2k rpm 65 - 70 mph It seems like when I push the car hard above 4k rpm the oil pressure doesn't go above 43-45 psi. Is this normal? I feel like it should be higher. seeing 50-52 psi on cold start in mornings 60 degrees

I recently had a rocker arm bearing failure where I found needle bearings and some of the bearing casing on my drain plug. I pulled the valve covers and found more needle bearings floating around the head. Pushrods were not bent and trunion upgrade kit was installed. I did a series of 3 oil changes with cheap conventional oil to attempt to flush the engine and did not find any needle bearings or metal on the drain plug after the second oil change. I am running on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a mobil 1 filter currently.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

First, your oil temps are too cool. Do a search on "sweet spot" by Evil Twin.

Mine idles at 35 psi hot and once at about 2K RPM hot is at around 45 psi. Yours are within GM specifications but seem low from "normal" for an LS1. Not sure what you are running for oil, but Mobil-1 can be very low within the 30W range whereas other oils are closer to the top of the range.

Last edited by vettenuts; 08-19-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:40 PM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Your oil cooler will cause your oil pressure to be lower. With the increases
you are seeing with rpm I think you are fine. I had an oil cooler on a previous Z06 and saw pressures within a few pounds of what you have.
Wayne
Old 09-17-2017, 11:52 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brenbuchler
Cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question.

Are my oil pressures fine or am i just paranoid?

2002 c5 z06
Heads/Cam/Intake
BE COOL radiator/fans
Front mount oil cooler

80 degree weather
Coolant temps 175-190
Oil temps 180-190
these are normal operating temps for my car when cruising around town / light to moderate accelerations.

I am seeing oil pressures at idle as low as 23-25 psi and 38-40 cruising at 2k rpm 65 - 70 mph It seems like when I push the car hard above 4k rpm the oil pressure doesn't go above 43-45 psi. Is this normal? I feel like it should be higher. seeing 50-52 psi on cold start in mornings 60 degrees

I recently had a rocker arm bearing failure where I found needle bearings and some of the bearing casing on my drain plug. I pulled the valve covers and found more needle bearings floating around the head. Pushrods were not bent and trunion upgrade kit was installed. I did a series of 3 oil changes with cheap conventional oil to attempt to flush the engine and did not find any needle bearings or metal on the drain plug after the second oil change. I am running on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a mobil 1 filter currently.

I'm pretty sure you're within spec but how many miles on your car?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You have a TWO PIECE oil pan. Just remove the small BOTTOM section and you can inspect all the baffles and the oil pick up screen for debris.

NOTE! The small lower pan screws are easily damaged if you over torque them. Use the correct torque.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 z06 normal oil pressures?

Quick Reply: C5 z06 normal oil pressures?