C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random missfire both sides

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM
grassblaster
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Random missfire both sides

2001 ls1 6.0 ck2500 truck
random misfires on both banks. Random cylinders.

Runs rough at idol.

around 115k> changed plugs and wires around 100k. Believe i installed acdelco oem plugs.

Should I replace all O2 sensors? I cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor already.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

There are a lot of different things that could be causing this, and you’re correct that the O2 sensors could be the culprit, but there are many other things that could cause this.
The first suggestion, though, is to try and check the engine with a diagnostic tool that will plug in to your OBDII port. This will at least get you in the ball park. AutoZone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto, or other comparable stores usually have diagnostic tools that might help you isolate the problem.
Check your plugs. If the O2 sensor is bad, typically it will change the air/fuel ratio and foul some or all of the plugs. A bad catalytic convertor can affect your O2 sensors.
Additionally, vacuum leaks, bad fuel injectors, a dirty fuel filter, or even other issues could be the culprit.
Again, a good diagnostic test is your best first start.
Good luck.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Was the plug gap correct? If the gap is too big you can get random multiple misfires.

Steve
Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 PM
grassblaster
Pro

Originally Posted by killian96ss
Was the plug gap correct? If the gap is too big you can get random multiple misfires.

Steve
dono. thought i checked them, but dont remember now.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 PM
grassblaster
Pro

Originally Posted by Route99
There are a lot of different things that could be causing this, and you’re correct that the O2 sensors could be the culprit, but there are many other things that could cause this.
The first suggestion, though, is to try and check the engine with a diagnostic tool that will plug in to your OBDII port. This will at least get you in the ball park. AutoZone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto, or other comparable stores usually have diagnostic tools that might help you isolate the problem.
Check your plugs. If the O2 sensor is bad, typically it will change the air/fuel ratio and foul some or all of the plugs. A bad catalytic convertor can affect your O2 sensors.
Additionally, vacuum leaks, bad fuel injectors, a dirty fuel filter, or even other issues could be the culprit.
Again, a good diagnostic test is your best first start.
Good luck.
my local shop hooked it up their $2k scanner. they couldn't pin down the problem.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grassblaster
dono. thought i checked them, but dont remember now.
The reason I mentioned this is because I was getting a random misfire code on my 02Z even though it only had 12k miles. When I pulled the plugs to check for cracks or broken electrodes I found the gaps ranged from .055 to .060. After I installed new iridium plugs gapped to .040 the misfires went away. Maybe just pull a few of the easy to reach plugs and double check gaps?

Steve
Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Another possibility could be sticking injectors. I've had good luck with Royal Purple fuel system cleaner in other cars, but any good injector cleaner might help.

Steve
Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM
grassblaster
Pro

Originally Posted by killian96ss
Another possibility could be sticking injectors. I've had good luck with Royal Purple fuel system cleaner in other cars, but any good injector cleaner might help.

Steve
tried couple bottles of cleaner already
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Check the coil circuit ground on the rear of the drivers head and make sure it clean and tight.

Then, Check the voltages at the coil circuit fuses to amke sure that all the fuses are getting full battery voltage. Test the fuse test slots on top of the fuses to chassis ground. The KEY ON fuses shoukd see 00% battery voltage.

Low voltage is not good on the coil circuits.

coils 2 & 4

coils 5& 7

Get notified of new replies

To Random missfire both sides

Quick Reply: Random missfire both sides