C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I repair this??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:35 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Can I repair this??

My 97 C5 roof weatherstrip that seals to rear of the targa top is torn on left and right side. Can I repair this tears? If so what do I need and is there a video you know shows how to do this?

I know OEM weatherstrip is scarce and cost like $300. Want to repair and make it last few more years if possible.

Thanks in advance....
Attached Images     
Old 05-25-2018, 12:59 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

You could try silicone adhesive. It comes in black and clear. Clean the area with alcohol then apply. You could tape the weatherstripping with masking tape to hold it together until the adhesive sets then carefully remove it. I did this with my C4 and it held and didn't leak. You might want to rub silicone grease or baby (mineral) oil on the rest of the stripping to treat it. Maybe even on the masking tape before removing it to soften up the adhesive on the tape and avoid taking chunks out of the weatherstripping. That or maybe WD-40 or similar.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL! I have repaired numerous neoprene weather strips with simple black Silicone RTV. That and a roll of painters tape and some saran wrap, you can make the repair look good as new.

Use the tape to form the back side of the piece that's missing. Cut a small piece of plastic wrap and place it inside the taped area so the silicone doesn't stick to the tape. Fill the void with silicone and put some plastic wrap over the area.

You can either mold the wet uncured silicone RTV under the plastic wrap OR put the targa top back in place sort of loose to kind of self mold the wet uncured silicone. Once it cures, just peel off the plastic wrap and it should seal well.

In some cases. I've had to put another coat on the repaired area and place silicone over it to smooth it and build it up a little more to make it even with the rest of the seal.

Give it a try in a simple area first to get the hang of it.

Replacement seals are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Sam Handwich (05-25-2018), TexasRedRaider (12-20-2022)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:40 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

personally, i would replace it with a pre-owned piece from vettenuts, vette villans or ebay.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

LOL! I have repaired numerous neoprene weather strips with simple black Silicone RTV. That and a roll of painters tape and some saran wrap, you can make the repair look good as new.

Use the tape to form the back side of the piece that's missing. Cut a small piece of plastic wrap and place it inside the taped area so the silicone doesn't stick to the tape. Fill the void with silicone and put some plastic wrap over the area.

You can either mold the wet uncured silicone RTV under the plastic wrap OR put the targa top back in place sort of loose to kind of self mold the wet uncured silicone. Once it cures, just peel off the plastic wrap and it should seal well.

In some cases. I've had to put another coat on the repaired area and place silicone over it to smooth it and build it up a little more to make it even with the rest of the seal.

Bill
Thanks for you input. Ugh looks like rt side where the tear is completely torn off and at the tear there's space between top & bottom of weather strip because it shrunk. Looks like i will not be able to repair this because the complete tear and shrinkage. Yeah replacement oem weather strip is expensive. I recall list for around $400.00 and I can get 33% discount off the list price since I work for a shop. looks like I will just have to leave it alone and when it leaks there then address this. I'm wondering any one replace this weather strip with aftermarket successfully w/o having leak after install.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:28 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by chris308
personally, i would replace it with a pre-owned piece from vettenuts, vette villans or ebay.
I saw vette nuts I didn't see them having this weatherstrip. I will try e bay or vette villians.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

email VN, i find their website is not updated as frequent as 1 would think. Also AES parts is another source for recycled vettes.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 1997 C5
I saw vette nuts I didn't see them having this weatherstrip. I will try e bay or vette villians.
I bet they do. They may not have it on their website, but if you call they might tell you different. They have too many parts to list on a website.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997 C5
I agree with the other poster. Contact VetteNutz.
It is tough for them to keep their website up-to-date on this kind of stuff. But they are a great resource.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I may be late to the party but if you are still looking to fix this check out this post,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

I also did a search and found replacement weatherstrips between $90 to $150 if someone is trying to sell you something for $400 take a pass and look some more.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,274 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Oooh, la la! I just bought some Gummi Fluge to treat the existing seals with. I'm behind on mechanical work by a few nights right now - I spent most of the week back and forth to the hospital for my mom who had a heart attack. =/ But I could use more garage time to clear my head. This approach to fixing areas is VERY interesting. I'll see if I can apply it effectively.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Bill
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM
1997 C5
Pro

Originally Posted by Big_George_S
I may be late to the party but if you are still looking to fix this check out this post,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

I also did a search and found replacement weatherstrips between $90 to $150 if someone is trying to sell you something for $400 take a pass and look some more.
Are the ones you found OEM used weatherstrips? Where did you find it?

Get notified of new replies

To Can I repair this??

Quick Reply: Can I repair this??