C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:41 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgies
Haha thanks! I put dielectric grease on both ends.... i have two more wires to change and did it on all of em.. is it a problem??
you “can” get a misfire if you get it on the coil end of the plug wire !!
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-12-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

NGK says 18 ft-lb...im going 12. I hope they dont go loose again
Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

How about split the difference !!...don’t think 18 would hurt !!
Old 09-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

J just unplugged the battery for 15 mins while changing 2 plugs (thats all i had in stock) and the 8 wires. Turned out 4 plugs were loose.

started her up and smoke.puffing after 2 mins. This morning it didnt blow smoke at all till it was warmed up. Maybe these cylinder that didnt fire that are now firing are burning off the excess fuel deposits in exhaust??
Old 09-09-2018, 02:44 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

J just unplugged the battery for 15 mins while changing 2 plugs (thats all i had in stock) and the 8 wires. Turned out 4 plugs were loose.

started her up and smoke.puffing after 2 mins. This morning it didnt blow smoke at all till it was warmed up. Maybe these cylinder that didnt fire that are now firing are burning off the excess fuel deposits in exhaust??
I'd take it for a good hard 15-20 minute drive...we aren't really sure if those coils are good...do you have 12 volt test light ??... pull the plug wire off at the coil and see if the spark jumps from the coil to a good ground ??...everyone changes plugs and wires but forget about checking the coils !!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Ok thanks. Ill do that tmr. I have a screw driver thingy that has a point on it and a wire connected to it's handle. The handle is transparent. I guess thats a test light??
Old 09-09-2018, 11:13 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok thanks. Ill do that tmr. I have a screw driver thingy that has a point on it and a wire connected to it's handle. The handle is transparent. I guess thats a test light??
Yes, connect the alligator clip to a clean engine ground.. a video below so you can see how it’s done !!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:33 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redzg
My experience has always been that valve stem seals generally smoke more on start up and on deceleration, less so running down the road.Compression check is still cheap way to know the rings are good. Obviously they should be, but seriously rich can mean oil washed off cylinder walls.
I agree 100% !!...engine vacuum is highest at idle and also decel...if engine continues to smoke during cruise we can lean towards rings...a compression test should be considered !!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rwobs777

Yes, connect the alligator clip to a clean engine ground.. a video below so you can see how it’s done !!

https://youtu.be/5ewJIBS9L98
should i connect to one of the ground straps in the engine bay?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

That’s fine !!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

I checked the spark on the coil.end. i have spark on all.of them. But another problem.is that i put way too much dialectric grease on both ends of the wires. You can feel it on the wires on the coil end.

im still getting smoke out the back...seems like its a bit more now. I ordered a leak down kit from OTC and im looking for a compression tester kit...
Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

When i drive i dont see the smoke. Its only at idle. If i rev it a bit during idle, it smokes a bit more...

man this is very depressing. I love my car. Hope shes gonna be ok..
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

When i drive i dont see the smoke. Its only at idle. If i rev it a bit during idle, it smokes a bit more...

If it’s just idle I’d say it’s the valve stem seals...engine vacuum is highest then...I think we had 2 problems here...1 down 1 to go...and OTC makes some good tooling...I have a lot of their stuff...good luck !!...do you still have that fuel smell like you said you had ?!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

yeah big time.

Im ordering new 02 sensors, new GM wires, 8 new TR55 plugs and new comp valve stem seals.

I'm gonna change al lthat and see if it improves. should I ohm the maf?

I have a LS7 maf. It's card style. Came with my killer bee 2 intake...
Old 09-10-2018, 05:58 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

And the smoke still smells like fuel ??...while you’re orderering those parts get yourself a scan tool too...LOL !!...I would really want to know what your O2 sensors and fuel trims are doing !!...now I’m thinking maybe a fuel injector is stuck open..we’ll keep this simple...take a long screwdriver and touch it to each injector and put the end to your ear...let me know if you can hear each one clicking ??...when the injector opens and closes you’ll hear that sound...if no sound it might be stuck open mechanically..we will try the electrical troubleshooting next with the test light !!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Thanks alot Rob.

they all make the clicking sound.

this is the scan tool i jabe but it doesnt plug into the vette and i think the programs are too old?

i also checked the DIC...unfortunately i think all the codes were erased when i unplugged the battery...

U1160 H is the only code showing up...

also..im not sure if the smoke smells like fuel specifically.. the whole damn place smells like it lol

Last edited by Georgies; 09-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:18 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

And the smoke still smells like fuel ??...while you’re orderering those parts get yourself a scan tool too...LOL !!...I would really want to know what your O2 sensors and fuel trims are doing !!...now I’m thinking maybe a fuel injector is stuck open..we’ll keep this simple...take a long screwdriver and touch it to each injector and put the end to your ear...let me know if you can hear each one clicking ??...when the injector opens and closes you’ll hear that sound...if no sound it might be stuck open mechanically..try LIGHTLY tapping on it and see if it starts clicking !!

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke from exhaust

Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks alot Rob.

they all make the clicking sound.

this is the scan tool i jabe but it doesnt plug into the vette and i think the programs are too old?

i also checked the DIC...unfortunately i think all the codes were erased when i unplugged the battery...

U1160 H is the only code showing up...

also..im not sure if the smoke smells like fuel specifically.. the whole damn place smells like it lol
GREAT tool back in the day but it's OBD1...well lets consider it oil smoke. Can you have someone take the engine up to 3000 RPM or so and look yourself if it's still smoking...if it's not smoking there after a few minutes it has to be valve seals....drive it for a few days and watch the oil level...a compression test nor a leak down tester will diagnose leaking valve seals. The Blue Driver is a great Bluetooth scan tool for about 100.00...it's android and apple... I have one I leave plugged into my daily driver...comparable to tools costing hundreds more !!

Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

When u say hold rpm at 3k... hold it there for like 30 seconds or a few minutes??

ill look into the blue driver.. thank you!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Is this all i need to buy??

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Smoke from exhaust