C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air filter housing open hole

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Black97C5
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter housing open hole

hi there,
I've been doing some routine maintenance on a '97 C5 I just bought. Upon changing my air filter, I noticed there is a spot where a hose is supposed to connect to the housing which is missing a fitting of some kind. It must have been left off by a previous owner. The trouble is, this hole is on the backside of the filter, from where it can pull dirt and debris into the intake. Does anyone know a) what fitting this could be? b) what purpose does the hose serve that connects to said fitting? c) will the absence of this hose cause a problem? or can I just find a way to plug this hole temporarily?

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

cheers,
Robin
Old 09-16-2018, 02:07 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

That's the inlet to the air pump. It draws filtered air and injects it into the exhaust. Is your AIR system operational? If it has been tuned out, try and find a rubber plug that will fit. If it is still operational, then you are also missing the hose and potentially other parts.
The following users liked this post:
Black97C5 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Black97C5
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by vettenuts
That's the inlet to the air pump. It draws filtered air and injects it into the exhaust. Is your AIR system operational? If it has been tuned out, try and find a rubber plug that will fit. If it is still operational, then you are also missing the hose and potentially other parts.
the car does have a Borla catback exhaust on it. Im not sure if they would have removed the AIR system when they installed that exhaust. I am also getting the P0410 Secondary Air Injection System code
Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Black97C5
the car does have a Borla catback exhaust on it. Im not sure if they would have removed the AIR system when they installed that exhaust. I am also getting the P0410 Secondary Air Injection System code
Catback means nothing in itself, but does mean somebody modified the car. With the code and hole, pretty much someone removed the AIR system but didn't get it tuned out.
First priority is plugging that hole; unfiltered air is taking the path of least resistance. Then get a tuner to block the code.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Black97C5
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by grantv
Catback means nothing in itself, but does mean somebody modified the car. With the code and hole, pretty much someone removed the AIR system but didn't get it tuned out.
First priority is plugging that hole; unfiltered air is taking the path of least resistance. Then get a tuner to block the code.
thanks for your reply. I'll check Lordco for some kind of a plug that will do the trick, temporarily. I see you're in Kelowna. I'm down in Penticton. The car I picked up came out of West Kelowna.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:57 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Black97C5
thanks for your reply. I'll check Lordco for some kind of a plug that will do the trick, temporarily. I see you're in Kelowna. I'm down in Penticton. The car I picked up came out of West Kelowna.
Penticton! You're 45 minutes away, cool. As soon as you said Lordco I wondered...
My PO was in WK also (almost 5 years ago now), funny coincidence.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:24 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

BTW new member rule; post pics please.
How do you like the Borla exhaust? Any drone? I'd like to hear it...
P.S. If you feel like taking a drive I'll check out the AIR system for you.

Last edited by grantv; 09-17-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Can you contact the prior owner? Maybe he still has the parts that were removed. It would be good to have them even if you don't install them.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You need to resolve that DTC. It will prevent you from passing ANY Emissions Test that you stat has. (if it has any). Like others have said, you are letting dirt and debris into the engine as long as that hole is open

I would pop the air bridge off and see how dirty the MAF and the throttle blade are. If they are dirty,, CLEAN THEM

You can tape the hole for the short haul until you find a plug.

BC
Old 09-17-2018, 02:57 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You need to resolve that DTC. It will prevent you from passing ANY Emissions Test that you stat has. (if it has any). Like others have said, you are letting dirt and debris into the engine as long as that hole is open

I would pop the air bridge off and see how dirty the MAF and the throttle blade are. If they are dirty,, CLEAN THEM

You can tape the hole for the short haul until you find a plug.

BC
BC, he is in BC, like me. No testing here.
100% on checking and cleaning the MAF

Get notified of new replies

To air filter housing open hole

Quick Reply: air filter housing open hole