C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter preload

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Lifter preload

What would be the max lifter preload to run on LS7 lifters to be considered safe? The reason I’ asking is because I am currently running 7.400 pushrods with my tsp 228r cam on stock 243 heads and the sewing machine noise is awful. I had a shop measure and I want to say it was a preload of around .085-.090 but I’m not positive. If this is true then would going to a 7.425 be a bad idea? I plan on buying my own adjustable PR tool and checking but I don’t know if mine currently are too long or too short. I believe a higher preload would equal less noise but I didn’t want to be on the red area of excessive wear. Could lowering the preload from what I currently have produce less noise?! If anyone wants a video let me know and I will send one, this is driving me nuts. I have the Straub trunnion upgrade and while it made have quietened overall engine bay motor noise a bit it did not help the sewing machine sound. Just by the sound of my motor holding the rpm’s steady around 2k something has to be off

Last edited by bwill03z; 05-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Ideally you want to measure preload with a solid lifter (a modded hydraulic lifter works for this). LS7 lifters have a very wide spread pre load range.. Anywhere from .020" to .120" of preload acceptable. Most like to keep them in the .070" range.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

This is just my experience, and yours may vary...

I'm running a BTR stage 2 cam with LS7 lifters and 243's ported and milled just slightly. I started with 7.4" pushrods and the valvetrain was rather loud. I was measuring pre-load in the same range you are ~.090.

Since pushrods are "cheap" and relatively easy to swap, I ordered a set of 7.375 pushrods from BTR to bring the pre-load down a bit as an experiment. It was almost immediately quieter and has stayed that way for a few years now. Once the oil heats up it gets a bit louder, but not much. It's still noticeable though, my tuner said that's just how cammed LS1s sound.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
This is just my experience, and yours may vary...

I'm running a BTR stage 2 cam with LS7 lifters and 243's ported and milled just slightly. I started with 7.4" pushrods and the valvetrain was rather loud. I was measuring pre-load in the same range you are ~.090.

Since pushrods are "cheap" and relatively easy to swap, I ordered a set of 7.375 pushrods from BTR to bring the pre-load down a bit as an experiment. It was almost immediately quieter and has stayed that way for a few years now. Once the oil heats up it gets a bit louder, but not much. It's still noticeable though, my tuner said that's just how cammed LS1s sound.
I’ve heard a few other cammed c5’s and none are nearly as loud as mine. You wouldn’t happen to have a video of yours do you? I considered going down a size also and running a lower preload but assumed that would prob create more noise. With the base circle on this cam being smaller than stock I don’t see how I could possibly need a shorter pushrod... I expect noise and I’m ok with that, but I can’t help but think mine could be much quieter.. just sounds like the valvetrain is too loose. I’ve never tried measuring before but I’m going to give it a shot
Old 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bwill03z
I’ve heard a few other cammed c5’s and none are nearly as loud as mine. You wouldn’t happen to have a video of yours do you? I considered going down a size also and running a lower preload but assumed that would prob create more noise. With the base circle on this cam being smaller than stock I don’t see how I could possibly need a shorter pushrod... I expect noise and I’m ok with that, but I can’t help but think mine could be much quieter.. just sounds like the valvetrain is too loose. I’ve never tried measuring before but I’m going to give it a shot
I tried taking a video once, but I only have a phone to record with and it didn't pick up the noise well. Can barely hear it inside the car, but outside with the window down next to another car or a wall, it's noticeable.

From what I understand, noise has more to do with the lobe profiles (ramp rates) than anything else...my GUESS is that the lifters like a little extra cushion when dealing with higher ramp rates...at least that's how I explain the results I experienced to myself. I bought the new pushrods for $100 from BTR and sold my 7.4's after for $70...so the experiment really only cost me $30.

Have you taken the valve covers off to check to make sure you don't have any loose rockers? I'd start there...check the rockers to make sure they're all tight. A lose rocker can happen and will cause quite a racket.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:05 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

I would be curious to know where they checked pushrod length at.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:34 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
I tried taking a video once, but I only have a phone to record with and it didn't pick up the noise well. Can barely hear it inside the car, but outside with the window down next to another car or a wall, it's noticeable.

From what I understand, noise has more to do with the lobe profiles (ramp rates) than anything else...my GUESS is that the lifters like a little extra cushion when dealing with higher ramp rates...at least that's how I explain the results I experienced to myself. I bought the new pushrods for $100 from BTR and sold my 7.4's after for $70...so the experiment really only cost me $30.

Have you taken the valve covers off to check to make sure you don't have any loose rockers? I'd start there...check the rockers to make sure they're all tight. A lose rocker can happen and will cause quite a racket.
yes, all are good and tight

Originally Posted by mykream
I would be curious to know where they checked pushrod length at.
cylinder 1
Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Sorry I didn't specify (technically length should be checked on all valves.) what I meant... I meant did they check it just at TDC? Or did they check it correctly?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:40 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Sorry I didn't specify (technically length should be checked on all valves.) what I meant... I meant did they check it just at TDC? Or did they check it correctly?
TDC I believe... isn’t that how you check?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

TDC I believe... isn’t that how you check?
No, you use EOIC (Exhaust Opening, Intake Closing)

Basically, when the exhaust is opening, the intake lifter will be on the base circle. When the intake is closing, the exhaust will be on its base circle.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

No, you use EOIC (Exhaust Opening, Intake Closing)

Basically, when the exhaust is opening, the intake lifter will be on the base circle. When the intake is closing, the exhaust will be on its base circle.
Oh yea I’m sorry I believe that is how they did it.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would also consider a larger OD pushrod since you may be changing. It will help with high RPM stability.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Vettenuts created a few very good topics on here and LS1tech on measuring pushrods and pushrod diameter. 11/32" pushrods are more common now, if you can clear them go 3/8". 243s would have to clearanced for 3/8
Old 05-14-2019, 02:34 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Vettenuts created a few very good topics on here and LS1tech on measuring pushrods and pushrod diameter. 11/32" pushrods are more common now, if you can clear them go 3/8". 243s would have to clearanced for 3/8
Excellent point...I wish I had read those threads BEFORE I purchased my pushrods. 11/32" have gotten much more common these days, and would be worth the purchase if changing length. I'm still at 5/16"...which will be fine for my personal use (99% street car).

Last edited by DetroitPlac; 05-14-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:09 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I believe the pushrods that came with the package are 5/16
Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

I believe the pushrods that came with the package are 5/16
Probably. That's what most packages come with.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Here is another quick video after I had the new trunnion kit put in, made no difference. To me it just sounds like there is slop in the valvetrain. So can going up or down a size in pushrods really make that big of a difference in noise? Going from the current 7.400 to either 7.375 or 7.425 could potentially clean up the sewing machine sound? Also I have noticed that it is a bit louder on the drivers side than the pass. I have checked and all rockers are tight.. Btw I am buying a pushrod checker today and going to try and get some measurements myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter preload

Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Here is another quick video after I had the new trunnion kit put in, made no difference. To me it just sounds like there is slop in the valvetrain. So can going up or down a size in pushrods really make that big of a difference in noise? Going from the current 7.400 to either 7.375 or 7.425 could potentially clean up the sewing machine sound? Also I have noticed that it is a bit louder on the drivers side than the pass. I have checked and all rockers are tight.. Btw I am buying a pushrod checker today and going to try and get some measurements myself.
https://youtu.be/OoiJEcEbxfU
Starting with measurements is the right place to start. Once you know what your ACTUAL pre-load is, you can decide what makes the most sense. Too high or too low could create bad valve train noise. Completely guessing won't do any good.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

What would be the max lifter preload to run on LS7 lifters to be considered safe? The reason I’ asking is because I am currently running 7.400 pushrods with my tsp 228r cam on stock 243 heads and the sewing machine noise is awful. I had a shop measure and I want to say it was a preload of around .085-.090 but I’m not positive. If this is true then would going to a 7.425 be a bad idea? I plan on buying my own adjustable PR tool and checking but I don’t know if mine currently are too long or too short. I believe a higher preload would equal less noise but I didn’t want to be on the red area of excessive wear. Could lowering the preload from what I currently have produce less noise?! If anyone wants a video let me know and I will send one, this is driving me nuts. I have the Straub trunnion upgrade and while it made have quietened overall engine bay motor noise a bit it did not help the sewing machine sound. Just by the sound of my motor holding the rpm’s steady around 2k something has to be off
When I changed mine from stock to Ls7 mine quiet it down with 7.4. Seem like it's a hit or miss with these lifters. My cam is close to your. I'm on stock rockes

Last edited by helga203; 05-15-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Alright so let’s say I measure and I am right at the ideal preload with the 7.400 pr’s, what then?! Where would all that noise be coming from? If it’s simply just loud and not causing any premature wear I guess I will just get over it but surely it could potentially be quieter

Quick Reply: Lifter preload