C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter preload

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Alright so let’s say I measure and I am right at the ideal preload with the 7.400 pr’s, what then?! Where would all that noise be coming from? If it’s simply just loud and not causing any premature wear I guess I will just get over it but surely it could potentially be quieter
Unfortunately like @helga203 mentioned, it seems to be somewhat hit or miss. Shorter ones helped me, longer seem to help others.

I'd consider this...

MOST shoot for preload on these things around .070". Measure how close you are to that and change the pushrods to compensate. I'm right around 0.65 preload and it's rather quiet.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I ordered a pushrod length checker and should be in tomorrow. After determining what preload I am currently running I will decide if I need to go with more or less. If my current preload is on the higher end, maybe around .090, Could a lower preload actually be less noisy? Maybe go to .065? Because if I am currently around .090 then going up a pr size would put me over .100 and that would be too risky, correct?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

I ordered a pushrod length checker and should be in tomorrow. After determining what preload I am currently running I will decide if I need to go with more or less. If my current preload is on the higher end, maybe around .090, Could a lower preload actually be less noisy? Maybe go to .065? Because if I am currently around .090 then going up a pr size would put me over .100 and that would be too risky, correct?
That's how I approach it.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you’re on the right track, one more thing though. Are you running stock injectors? Some injectors can be terribly noisy and can sound like lifter tick, an exhaust leak, etc... I have a 228r and deatchwerks injectors. My injectors are louder than my valvetrain.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
I think you’re on the right track, one more thing though. Are you running stock injectors? Some injectors can be terribly noisy and can sound like lifter tick, an exhaust leak, etc... I have a 228r and deatchwerks injectors. My injectors are louder than my valvetrain.
Yep, stock injectors. I considered that and I know the injector tick adds to the overall noise of the motor but the loud clacking I’m concerned about definitely isn’t the injectors. I know the 228r cam has a smaller base circle than the stock ls6 cam so I don’t imagine the 7.400 pushrods I have in there now could be too long, I’m hoping they turn out to be just a tad short and going up a size will help. It’s just hard to say because I also added ls7 lifters into the equation which I have been reading a lot of conflicting info on. Some say they measure identical to the stock ls1/ls6 lifter and then some say there’s a .040-.060 difference so I really don’t know what to think

Last edited by bwill03z; 05-18-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:56 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,274 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Not for nothing, but better safe than sorry. I just bought a 2003 Z last month. Heads, cam and intake with a blower. Two days into driving it and a lifter collapsed. But a day before when idling the car in a friend's driveway he thought he heard a louder noise like you say. I passed it off as typical sewing machine chatter.

Pull your covers and check that no rockers are loose and no pushrods are too deep.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tusc
Not for nothing, but better safe than sorry. I just bought a 2003 Z last month. Heads, cam and intake with a blower. Two days into driving it and a lifter collapsed. But a day before when idling the car in a friend's driveway he thought he heard a louder noise like you say. I passed it off as typical sewing machine chatter.

Pull your covers and check that no rockers are loose and no pushrods are too deep.
YEP!! Also, when the cylinder is on the compression stroke, (both valves shut), see if you can push down on the rocker at the pushrod side. You should NOT be able to feel any give if the lifter is properly holding oil (not collapsing) If it is able to depress, that lifter is bleeding down (bad)

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:16 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tusc

I will definitely inspect it o be sure but it’s unlikely that it’s a failing lifter. These are new ls7 lifters that I just had put in and the extra noise In heating doesn’t sound like a tapping lifter to me.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I did Some measuring this evening and by my calculations I am between .085 and .090 on preload with the 7.400 pushrods. I only got the chance to measure on one cylinder so I will do more tomorrow . It took 10 and between a quarter and a half turns to get to zero lash. I assume going up a size and going over .100 preload is prob too much? I guess I may just have to deal with a noisy motor.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Received 183 Likes on 165 Posts

I used c7 lifters rated to 800hp
.51gasket
stock lengths hardened rods by ZZ Top performance. 7.40
all with new 243 performance gm heads/ kept the springs and valves.
If I heard a sowing machine noise maybe check out the rocker arms. Possibly you have some loose or worn out parts.
Mines quiet as ever. Before I changed mine I was getting a small lifter tick upon start up. I had a buddy his slapped like a sowing machine until he tightened down the rocker arms. properly. That was a 302 boss. If the lobes weren’t done when doing the cam then that could be it and that becomes time consuming again. Your cam could be slapping from worn parts. A 228 wouldn’t be my first choice your better off with a custom cam according to what you have and what your looking to get out of your poweband. If you have to go the distance. Check your springs maybe they are worn or need a dual coil/ beehive style replacement.

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-01-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:31 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speedy007
I used c7 lifters rated to 800hp
.51gasket
stock lengths hardened rods by ZZ Top performance. 7.40
all with new 243 performance gm heads/ kept the springs and valves.
If I heard a sowing machine noise maybe check out the rocker arms. Possibly you have some loose or worn out parts.
Mines quiet as ever. Before I changed mine I was getting a small lifter tick upon start up. I had a buddy his slapped like a sowing machine until he tightened down the rocker arms. properly. That was a 302 boss. If the lobes weren’t done when doing the cam then that could be it and that becomes time consuming again. Your cam could be slapping from worn parts. A 228 wouldn’t be my first choice your better off with a custom cam according to what you have and what your looking to get out of your poweband. If you have to go the distance. Check your springs maybe they are worn or need a dual coil/ beehive style replacement.
All the rockers are stock but none have any visual wear. The pushrods, lifters and dual springs are all brand new. I don’t know what else could be worn.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

I would check them one by one for wiggle there’s plastic with a bearing I think inside those rockers and it wears out. Re torque and see if any changes it will prob take you a hour. .650 coils? On stock valves ?

All the rockers are stock but none have any visual wear. The pushrods, lifters and dual springs are all brand new. I don’t know what else could be worn.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I would check them one by one for wiggle there’s plastic with a bearing I think inside those rockers and it wears out. Re torque and see if any changes it will prob take you a hour. .650 coils? On stock valves ?
They all wiggle a bit side to side... all rockers have be retorqued. Also I did the bronze bushing rocker trunnion upgrade. Springs are TSP dual .660 springs, and yes stock valves
Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Any change ?
Old 06-02-2019, 08:11 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Any change ?
Nope... on a cold start everything sounds pretty good, some sewing machine noise but not terrible, but when the oil heats up that’s when it gets noisy
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

So I think what I’m dealing with here is an issue only on the driver side. I’ve been outside listening carefully and the ticking begins only on the drivers side and that’s why I can hear it so well when driving. The passenger side seems to be pretty quiet. It’s sounds like maybe just one pushrod is a hair too short. Probably not hurting anything but it’s enough to drive me nuts
Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

I did Some measuring this evening and by my calculations I am between .085 and .090 on preload with the 7.400 pushrods. I only got the chance to measure on one cylinder so I will do more tomorrow . It took 10 and between a quarter and a half turns to get to zero lash. I assume going up a size and going over .100 preload is prob too much? I guess I may just have to deal with a noisy motor.
Check a few other cylinders on the driver's side just for science to see if there's variation per your other post about driver's side. You might benefit from a little less preload from 7.375" rods

BTW, mine also gets louder as the oil warms up. I found running 0w40 Mobil 1 over 5w30 helped quiet it down a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter preload

Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Could you post a new video up here with the car running. I really would doubt you have 1 rod smaller than the rest. I would suspect those.660 dual coils are to much spring.Maybe it’s not able to perform is action properly.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Check a few other cylinders on the driver's side just for science to see if there's variation per your other post about driver's side. You might benefit from a little less preload from 7.375" rods

BTW, mine also gets louder as the oil warms up. I found running 0w40 Mobil 1 over 5w30 helped quiet it down a bit.
I have been considering m1 0w40, May give it a try... I don’t see how running a shorter pushrod could possibly produce less noise, but then again I’ve heard other ppl say they had luck with less preload.
Could you post a new video up here with the car running. I really would doubt you have 1 rod smaller than the rest. I would suspect those.660 dual coils are to much spring.Maybe it’s not able to perform is action properly.
Yea I will post one shortly. Possibly but those were the springs that came in the package. The 228r cam I have is a .600/.600 lift though.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 PM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

So I think what I’m dealing with here is an issue only on the driver side. I’ve been outside listening carefully and the ticking begins only on the drivers side and that’s why I can hear it so well when driving. The passenger side seems to be pretty quiet. It’s sounds like maybe just one pushrod is a hair too short. Probably not hurting anything but it’s enough to drive me nuts
My driver side is the one that is a little more noisy too. Bwill03z, have you checked recently your exhaust beneath the car? Reason I say is that I found out that my X-pipe/mid-pipe is actually not centered on the tunnel, but rather it's offset towards the left of the car so much that it's actually pressing against the left tunnel wall. Literally, it's a compressed interference fit on the left. That said, my C5 has therefore an unwanted, increased valvetrain noise and exhaust noise that comes from the vibration resonating directly onto the tunnel and amplified to the cabin from this direct contact. I found it two weeks ago I went by an exhaust shop to check for leaks. Still haven't fixed this issue since I need to go back for another appointment for it, but when the x-pipe is not in contact with the tunnel wall it is obviously a lot quieter. FYI, I have Texas Speed headers and X-pipe, but regardless your brand this might be something worth checking.

PS: Have you given the Rislone a try? I also have brand new LS7 lifters and this helped for me at least.

Last edited by turabo87; 06-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifter preload