C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast intake question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 AM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Fast intake question..

I have a chance to get a fast 90 mm intake for$400! Was therr any problems with this intake? This will be going on my 04z, it will have a btr stage 3 cam, 2 stage head porting on the 243's already have headers and a vararam.. thanks
Old 06-17-2019, 09:44 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Sometimes sealing between upper and lower sections, but in general no issues. I have been running a Mamo ported version for years with a Nick Williams throttle body.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Some things that I have learned:

- The valve valley cover fasteners MUST be changed out to a low profile fastener. failure to do so will cause bottom of the manifold damage (cracks)
- Install NEW manifold to head O ring seals.
- You will need to LENGTHEN the small vacuum line at the back of the engine. The nipple for the vacuum is now on the passengers side of the intake.
- You will need to find a new place on the intake ducting (Air Bridge) to tap into for a PCV fresh air supply as the 90MM TB doesn't have one like the C5 TB did.
- I have an 02Z and the 01-2004 LS engines have steam cross over line block of caps at the back of the heads. I ADDED a cross over line at the back of the head.
- I did some extensive home porting on my FAST-90/90mm TB. I did it to a NEW FAST 90 intake and wanted to be sure that the seals did not leak. I blocked off all the openings and filled it full of water to see if was leaking.
- The MAP sensor is in an area that (IMHO) risk damage and leaks. I did a MAP Sensor relocate to the front of the manifold where the EGR would be on an F-Body manifold.
- Get a good quality TB wiring harness adaptor!!!
Use the OEM manifold bolts instead of the FAST supplied bolts! Torque to proper spec and retorque after a few heat cycles.

That all I can think of for now.

Bill
-
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts

wow..great info bill thanks! the guy sent me a pic of the intake and it looked beat up! so I passed on it.. im going to go with the fast 92 now i need to find a used one lol..

Last edited by 04zjimc; 06-17-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 04zjimc
wow..great info bill thanks! the guy sent me a pic of the intake and it looked beat up! so I passed on it.. im going to go with the fast 92 now i need to find a used one lol..

YES! FAST 92 & 102 ARE bigger yet again than the 90..
Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Bill is spot on, a few additions.

A FAST 92 Lid will bolt to a FAST 90 and I believe a 78 base. We did that on my car as the flange on my old 90 that the TB bolts to was warped, and a friend cracked the base of his FAST 92.

The FAST 102 is another design and you can run into to cowl interference with it. The 78/90/92 are close but clear. Hinson makes shorter poly engine mounts for the 102.

You can also use a bench grinder to shave the heads of the factory valley cover bolts to the height of the button heads. The button heads are known to round. We shaved the heads down on the friend's car I bought the FAST parts from and I will do it when the intake has to come off on my car.

I don't think we lengthened the small vacuum line but these things can vary car to car. We slide the intake partially on and then install the line. You also need to be careful with the knock sensor wires on our Gen3 motors as they can get pinched easily.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast intake question..

Quick Reply: Fast intake question..