C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Linnox
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C issues on c6

I am wondering if anyone has issue with the ac working on defrost and vent only
Old 10-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Linnox
I am wondering if anyone has issue with the ac working on defrost and vent only
C6 post in the C5 forum?
Good luck with that.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Joshua Simmons
1st Gear

Default DIC flashing, Help!!

Hello, new to the forum this is my first post but have read countless posts on the forum for other things on my car thanks for all the help and hopefully with this problem. I have a 1999 C5 Automatic with 116,000 miles.

Issue
Recently like the past month when I insert the key in the ignition and turn to on sometimes the DIC and instrument panel flashed but then would start after trying again. This weekend I had the problem and i couldn't get my car to start until several attempts it finally started and would run fine. I went to autozone to get my battery tested and they tested it and said the battery was fine but my alternator was going out. Hesistant on what they said I went out to my car jiggled the wires on the grounds up front, tried was flashing still. Went and checked the battery connections and found the black wire was a little loose so i tightened it down, car started perfectly fine. Then I changed out my radiator tank the same weekend and all the hoses cause I had a coolant leak from the bottom of the tank. Started fine drove around everything was good then parked for about 5 hours come back out try to start and almost everytime the DIC and instrument panel will flash. I try jiggleing the key a little and same thing, jiggle the ground wires up front same thing. Take key out a couple times and I can get it to not flash and then it'll start fine and drive fine.

What I've noticed car internal and external lights come on when unlocked by key fob fine. Seat moves for memory spot. When I turn key just the DIC and instrument panel lights flash while key in on possition. I am gonna go take the grounds off and clean them up and thought about checking the door connectors since I had a problem from the passenger one before. I can't check codes when everything is flashing so when I get it to start again I'll get them and post them. Thanks in advance!

I think maybe ignition switch if the grounds are ok?
Edit:

I have "Service Vehicle Soon" on display and the codes are
BCM B2583 H
BCM B2578 H
TCS C1288 H C

That's all the codes on it. From my understanding the "H" is history and the "C" is current right? So now I have a problem with the Traction control system too? 😭

Last edited by Joshua Simmons; 10-17-2018 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-15-2018, 08:49 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

On the two underhood connectors with the multiple pins, I can see how it would be easy to clean the pins on the male side, but what do you use to clean the contacts on the female side?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grampi50
On the two underhood connectors with the multiple pins, I can see how it would be easy to clean the pins on the male side, but what do you use to clean the contacts on the female side?
Spray can of contact cleaner.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:10 PM
s2kpunisher
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone experienced an issue where when you open driver side door it chimes as if the headlights and/or key is still in the ignition? Neither of those are true for me but I still get a chime noise for some reason.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 PM
NOS Rick
4th Gear

Default Stuck !!

Bill,
Thank you for your help I am new on this site, my son had looked us this post when he had his Corvette which is now mine, the car has had a problem with a code for traction control, we have been working on the problem on & off for 10 years but no luck we have put new wiring harness,speed control sensorors, steering wheel positioning sensor, had the car alignment done,probaby more & cleaned grounds, buy no ground on #10 G302, #7G301. maybe you have an idea? Thank you for all your help.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What is #10 g302 & #7 g301 and how did you get there for the traction control?? I know where G301 and 302 are but how do they relate to your issue??

Bill
Old 12-02-2018, 10:18 PM
NOS Rick
4th Gear

Hello Bill,
To start with I would like to thank you for looking at my e-mail. Those are codes from your thread on important electrical information (long) about ground wiring, these are the locations locations shown in the pictures (#10 G302 & #7 G301), Sorry the way that I wrote it. If you have any ideas on how to find the problem I would really appreciate your advise. I also purchased the anti- lock brake module, I have also purchased 3 steering wheel positioning sensors. I hope that helps

Thank you, NOS Rick
Old 12-02-2018, 11:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Rick

Use the internal DTC reader and read the codes with out turning the ignition off.. When the EBTM errors out,, press RESET until all the messages go away and then enter the DTC reader routine and post ALL the DTCs that you get I manual mode.

That will get us on the proper page.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:07 AM
NOS Rick
4th Gear

Thank you Bill,
I will give it a try tomorrow, I am new on this site should I ask you questions in a different e-mail ?
Have a good night !
Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Ohio Royce
Cruising

Bill or anyone else that has the info, I am wondering just how many of those grounding connectors are there on a 1998 Vette? I am not talking the number of ground connections to the frame. I already have that number. I just want to know how many of these connectors that go to ground on the frame there are that you have to take apart and clean out. I know there are two under the hood on each side near the headlight area. Thanks.

Last edited by Ohio Royce; 12-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ohio Royce
Bill or anyone else that has the info, I am wondering just how many of those grounding connectors are there on a 1998 Vette? I am not talking the number of ground connections to the frame. I already have that number. I just want to know how many of these connectors that go to ground on the frame there are that you have to take apart and clean out. I know there are two under the hood on each side near the headlight area. Thanks.
I think the answer to your question is "All of them". Any one of them could be a problem; especially if you drive in the wet and/or snow, etc.
Sorry if I sound glib, but you said you already know how many ground connections are to the frame. Well, there is a connector at every frame lug.
Am I wrong? Or are you asking a different question?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Ohio Royce
Cruising

I am asking a slightly different question. Not every one of the ground connections are "connectors" that you have to take apart and clean out. Some are just a single wire or two attached to a lug to the frame. I am trying to find out how many are there of the "connectors" for multiple ground wires that you take apart, clean, and use dielectric grease on before putting plugging them back together. There are one each near the headlights, but I am wondering where there are other "connectors" located for multiple ground wires, not the single lug connections. Or are the two near the headlights the only ones?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

not sure about that.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:25 PM
97Chuck69
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill, I just bought a 97 and am going trough all of what you have been talking about. But I do have another question ,,,,,,,, all of my buttons in the DIC do not work and can not bring up anything in the window below the speedometer. Could the grounds be my head ace or am I looking at tearing the dash apart to either try to fix or replace. I really like the car but as you know the C3's [ I had a 69 ] did not have all of the electronics and they drive me nuts.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:40 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

This is an insanely good thread. Wow. Thank you to all members who've contributed and especially to Bill Curlee for starting it.

Get notified of new replies

To IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

Old 04-12-2019, 11:45 PM
ckcarr1
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I've been a member for a short while although I have been reading for several years now.

Here is my issue. My 2001 C5 Convertible, with only 19,750 miles has decided to no longer start. I live in the very arid west, and the car doesn't really show any signs of corrosion, like I've seen in some pictures in this thread (Not that it can't have somewhere). I pulled it out of the garage to wash last September, never washed it, then went to pull it back in. And that's when it got weird. Turning the key, I'd get that low voltage 3.6 volts message, then it would turn over, kick back, then try again.. Over and over and eventually it started and I got into the garage. But that was it. So I did put a new battery in it assuming that must be it. However, the battery made no difference. Now when I turn the key, there is nothing, just a small click from the passenger footwell by the BCM.

Symptoms are now as follow:

First off, what does work:
  • Lights turn on and off, go up and down perfectly fine and burn brightly.
  • radio works, plays, antenna goes up & down
  • Trunk lock opens from key fob and from interior button.
  • Door locks work with the key fob and internally.
  • Horn works.
  • Door chimes and security light when I open door and get in.
  • Lights in the foot area come on.
  • Mileage readout comes on in dash when I turn on the light switch one click.
  • Jumping the red and purple wires in the security relay by passenger foot well, or with a remote starter button will turn the starter and crank engine, and starter engages and turns the engine sounding perfectly healthy. But still no start.
What doesn't work:
  • Car will not start. Get in, turn key to on and over to start, get one faint click by passenger floor board.
  • No Corvette in dash DIC, no lights there.
  • When I measure voltage on all the fuses with key on, across the top, many have the 12.6 volts, but a series of them have only around 3.6 volts or so.
  • DIC does not come up at all. Although right before this it worked perfectly, and everything in the car worked perfect.
  • I have an OBD2 scanner which cannot find any codes, but can read the car vin No# but that's all the information it finds.
  • I actually bought a refurbished PCM thinking that might be it, but no change.
  • In the past, the car would make a small but noticeable "chirp" in the back by the trunk when I would rock it a bit, now it no longer chirps.
I don't want to go chasing parts for naught if it's possibly something like a blown fusible link, or something else.

So, before (and I cringe) I take to a dealer, does anyone have any ideas about this? I live in a really small town in Utah and don't think the dealer has much if any experience with Corvettes. So if I trailer to a bigger city, I'm not even sure where I'd take it.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas, I'm totally at a loss right now.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Craig

Last edited by ckcarr1; 04-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Default I have same year and style of C5

If it were me I would get a new battery. Seems like you checked lots of stuff. But I understand that battery low voltage is frequently overlooked
please report back on what you learn
Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM
ckcarr1
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. However, I did get a new battery! That was the first thing. I thought I had written that when I started, but maybe overwrote it!

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)