C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak onto passenger floor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Water leak onto passenger floor?

I've heard about it before, but now that I do a search I can't find anything. Might have to do with the board transfer. Something about some drain getting clogged, and causing water to leak into the passenger compartment? Anyone have any details? My passenger floormat was pretty wet today, out of nowhere. Car's a hardtop, and is definitely not leaking from the windshield or windows or anything (nothing else is wet, just the floor).

Anyone have the details on how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Dope
Old 09-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Ttop34
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had the answer for you untill I saw it was a hard top. My coupe had the drain from around the hatch clogged up, not sure if the hard top routes the water the same way or not. I bought mine used and found evidence of a lot of water getting into the passengers side and that side had the drain clogged up, I guess that is what happened. I didn't wait around to find out. I fixed it by taking off the inner fender of the back wheel then reaching up and pulling the crud out by hand.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Dope

Your problem could be one of the following issues:

The AC/heater box condensation drain tube is clogged
or
Your windshield cowl drains are clogged up.
Here are some pictures that might get you on the road to recovery.

Driver side cowl drains (utters).undefined
[IMG][/IMG]

AC/Heater box drain tubeundefined
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Flashlight beam is highlighting the area where the AC/Heater box drain is located on the passenger side looking from under the hood. The 90 degree tube rubber hose is under the wiring harness.
[IMG][/IMG]

It is best accessed from under the car.

This is most likley your problem! The end of the tube gets clogged with slime and the condensation from the AC system can not drain out. It backs up into the passengers floorboard area!
I strongly recommend removing the carpets and drying them in the sun or in a warm dry area. If you do not, your carpets may mildew and start to smell. While they are out you can shampoo them with a carpet cleaner and suck them dry with a wet and dry vac.
They look GREAT after that is done.

The other down side of this problem is the Body Control Module gets wet and you may expierence all sorts of weird electrical problems!!
If it is wet,disconnect the battery. remove the BCM, dry it out undre a heat lamp and you should be good to go.

If you have any more questions please ask

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-23-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:21 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

BC, excellent photo's, I know where the drain is having had a opportunity to learn from a friend where it's at and how to get to it. But w/o your photo's I could never have described it to someone.

With a COLD engine and slender hands it can be reached from the top side and squeezed to break up all the deposits (I'm guessing calcium deposits) but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Hey MODs this should be a STICKY since we are coming up on the end of the heavy AC seasoning and I bet there are many leaking C5's out there.

Tom
Old 10-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Dope

Your problem could be one of the following issues:

The AC/heater box condensation drain tube is clogged
or

It is best accessed from under the car.

This is most likley your problem! If you have any more questions please ask

BC
Bill:
You sent me those very pix last week. I checked all of the drains. None had any shmutz or crud in them. Certainly not like in the picture you sent me. I think the mistake I made with the A/C drain was to check the very end for crud. There was none. Now I'm thinking that with that particular drain, it needs to be removed and the plastic elbow needs to be cleaned out as well as the entire rubber "L-hose." I didn't do that. I want to get onto it. From what I've read, electrically gremlins are what I need to stay on top of. I'm keeping all the grounds clean, etc.

Everyone, thanks for the heads up. I may be slow, but I'm definitely sincere...
Old 10-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If your still having wet passengers floor issues and the end of the drain hose is not the problem, jack up the car, remove the rubber elbow and use a wet and dry vac to suck the junk out of the metal drain fitting. If you use 4 jack stands and keep the car level or slightly higher in the rear, you might even be able to suck some water and junk out of the air box that could be giging you the problems.

There is one more thing to check, but that will not soak the floor and carpet. Wrap some bubble wrap around the rubber vent hose that is attached to the blower motor. That will get cold and condensate also! The condensation will drip on to the BCM
The following users liked this post:
Kimko (06-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

..from a CF member...

"the AC condensate drain hose comes through the firewall behind the engine. It is about 12 inches inboard of the battery. to reach it you really should take the battery out and remove that plastic partition between the battery and the engine, then you can snake you hand behind the engine and cut off the end of the hose with a razor blade.
The problem is the hose is probably 3/8" in diameter, but for some reason it squeezes down to a very small opening at the end of the drain hose, and this little hole gets pluged up and causes the condensate to overflow inside the car and get everything wet, including all the electornics in the passenger foot well area. You can also get to the hose from the bottom of the car, which may be the easy way to cut off the end of the hose. Good luck it is really tight quarters behind the engine.
Or from another member’s post:
Raise the right front of the car - use a jack stand for support. The a/c evaporator drain hose is a rubber, 90-degree hose attached to a hard plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall. While the engine is cool, remove the hose. It is behind the right engine head. There is very little room to work, but it can be done. I used a small, screw driver size "tack puller" to help me pop the hose off of the nipple.
Clean out the rubber hose. You will probably find white, crusty material in it. Cut off the end of the rubber hose where it is molded into the size of a small split pea. The opening is prone to clogging and does not permit enough water to drain during high humidity conditions.
Use a plastic "zip tie" and push the non-clasp end into the plastic nipple. This will help clear any residual material. Replace the rubber hose on the plastic nipple and lower the car."
Old 10-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Driver side cowl drains (utters).undefined
[IMG][/IMG]
BC
Bill, I am unable to gain a perspective of the view in this image. I assume
this is from under the car, drivers side, againist the firewall?

Thanks!! And thanks for the other images and info, good to know.

Also, thanks Dave for your comments!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Dave
The view that you see in this picture is a picture of the "WINSHIELD COWL DRAINS" they have nothing to to with the AC Heater box drains "UNLESS" those drains plug up solid and the cowl drain on the other side is pluged. Then the rain water will pour in the heater box air inlet! That would be BAD NEWS!!!
Those drains will effect your windshield wiper motor operations. If they plug up, your wipers will fail!

BC
Old 10-26-2004, 05:22 PM
chillidog
Intermediate

Default Wet Floor

BC, thanks for the info, it took me a while to find your thread, but it sure answerd my question.

The dealer says there's no L shaped drain hose...
Old 10-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If your dealership service dept does NOT know where the AC/heater box drain fitting is, you better find a NEW dealership or get a better QUALIFIED mechanic!!! The guy is an idiot!! You can tell him I said that!!!!
It/they may call it something else but the pictures dont lie!! Print off the pictures and hand it to him!

Was he for real??

Did my pictures and write up help you and did you find the fitting??

Please let me know.

Bill C
Old 10-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Also...I had this, and unclogged my drain udders, but the day it happened to me I was parked pointing nose-uphill during a severe downpour.

I unclogged my udders, but I've also not since parked nose-uphill, or gotten caught in a heavy downpour.

No reoccurrence.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All good info and the photos are very helpful. So far, no water inside my car.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM
95 corvette ca
1st Gear

Default 95 corvette passenger floor ac water leak

After running ac for a couple hours or more the rubber floor mat passenger side would have clear water on it. I had a plugged drain under the car in front of floor pan up next to the fuel filter. stick a screwdriver In the hole the to clear it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Water leak onto passenger floor?

Quick Reply: Water leak onto passenger floor?