C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the 2006 GM "Chrome" wheels on their new car???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ejbarre
I just did a chrome wheel exchange with my local Discount Tire store for $934. out the door. Included mounting, balancing, tax & they took care of shipping both ways. Beautiful chrome and I still have GM wheels.
That's about what it cost me too. Right around $1000 when you figure in the shipping, mounting and balancing.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Cherry1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone talks about these after market wheels that are really GM wheels.
Wjo has them and at what price?
This is something I really need to consider!
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:35 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry1
Everyone talks about these after market wheels that are really GM wheels.
Wjo has them and at what price?
This is something I really need to consider!
Thanks!
You have a lot of choices in chrome wheels;

Original Corvette wheels that have been chromed. But you lose the GM warranty by chroming them and they are not that good of a wheel to begin with since they are lowest bid cast wheels. Available in stock sizes and offsets and the pressure sensors fit.

Low price Aftermarket import chrome wheels. Usually low quality cast wheels with low quality chrome. Sometimes VERY heavy. Sizes and offsets sometimes different from stock, pressure sensors usually fit.

High price Aftermarket Chrome wheels. Usually forged, usually 2 or 3 piece, can be VERY EXPENSIVE. $1500.00+ PER WHEEL. Usually lighter than stock. Sizes and offsets are usually anything you want (at a price). Lots of problems with the pressure sensors, sometimes require a non-refundable deposit.

And you still have to pay for shipping (and taxes?) of the new wheels, mounting and balancing of the tires and have to either store, sell or ship your original wheels. Spend some time on the Vendors sites, most of your questions can be answered there (except weight, no Vendor seems to want to show the weight of their wheels).
Old 10-07-2005, 11:23 AM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
You have a lot of choices in chrome wheels;

Original Corvette wheels that have been chromed. But you lose the GM warranty by chroming them and they are not that good of a wheel to begin with since they are lowest bid cast wheels. Available in stock sizes and offsets and the pressure sensors fit.

Low price Aftermarket import chrome wheels. Usually low quality cast wheels with low quality chrome. Sometimes VERY heavy. Sizes and offsets sometimes different from stock, pressure sensors usually fit.

High price Aftermarket Chrome wheels. Usually forged, usually 2 or 3 piece, can be VERY EXPENSIVE. $1500.00+ PER WHEEL. Usually lighter than stock. Sizes and offsets are usually anything you want (at a price). Lots of problems with the pressure sensors, sometimes require a non-refundable deposit.

And you still have to pay for shipping (and taxes?) of the new wheels, mounting and balancing of the tires and have to either store, sell or ship your original wheels. Spend some time on the Vendors sites, most of your questions can be answered there (except weight, no Vendor seems to want to show the weight of their wheels).
The stock wheels are very very light. The lightest wheels I have ever held in my hands. Most likely forged to be this light. I bought some chrome wheels that are much heavier but were quite cheap. They look great but to do it again I would do a Chrome wheel exchange since they are lighter and have better clearance on the Brake Calipers.
One lives and learns, I do it the hard way!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Your much better off getting the painted wheels and if you want the chrome wheels WCC has teh OEM chromed wheel.. same wheel for $1995 they are selling(GM)... just give up your stock painted ones in exchange for chrome ones for $740....

Quick Reply: Anyone have the 2006 GM "Chrome" wheels on their new car???