C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whiter High Beam Bulbs...cheap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:39 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Can you tell me the ease of installing and how long it takes?
Let's see - about half hour total. The high beams require you turn the wheels to one side so you can access the panel behind the lights.

Pop off the 3 fasteners toward the outside, and pull back the rubber cover. There is a dust cover over the high beam connection - pull that off.

Twist out the bulb, replace, and reinstall everything.

For the fog lights, I moved the brake duct out of the way, and reached in to twist out the bulb, replace, and reinstall.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by mrtoner
I just installed these and the color does match better.

They are not brighter but color is good.

Which ones did you install? The Autoluminations ones or the ez2shop123 ones?

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 08-24-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by cclive
Originally Posted by mrtoner
Let's see - about half hour total. The high beams require you turn the wheels to one side so you can access the panel behind the lights.

Pop off the 3 fasteners toward the outside, and pull back the rubber cover. There is a dust cover over the high beam connection - pull that off.

Twist out the bulb, replace, and reinstall everything.

For the fog lights, I moved the brake duct out of the way, and reached in to twist out the bulb, replace, and reinstall.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie
Which ones did you install? The Autoluminations ones or the ez2shop123 ones?

ez2shop123
Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Yes, thanks a million guys!

Many Thanks to all!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I've seen both up close and I don't think there is any difference between them. They are both no-name bulbs made in china (surprise surprise). They are still working fine for me and at $8 a bulb, if I have to replace one after a couple of years, its OK. Quartz bulbs are fairly old tech now, I don't think they need to be made in Germany anymore to be OK.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 PM
miles.jackie
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiter High Beam Bulbs

Have hunted ez2shop123 on E-bay but could not find, could you please give more info as to where to find these bulbs. Thank You.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by miles.jackie
Have hunted ez2shop123 on E-bay but could not find, could you please give more info as to where to find these bulbs. Thank You.
He's no longer selling them on the auction site. See my post 33 on the previous page for the autolumination info...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Ol'Timer
Melting Slicks

I ordered and installed the high beam replacement bulbs (super white) from Autolumination as mentioned above. The color temp. is what I am looking for, but I can barely notice a difference in illumination between low and high beam now. The new bulbs are not nearly as bright as the original bulbs. Is there a super white that illuminates as well as factory high bulbs?

Also, a vendor told me the factory 80watt bulbs would crack the plastic lens over time. Anyone had any issues with this?

Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would these work in place as just the regular lamps?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 'olTimer
I ordered and installed the high beam replacement bulbs (super white) from Autolumination as mentioned above. The color temp. is what I am looking for, but I can barely notice a difference in illumination between low and high beam now. The new bulbs are not nearly as bright as the original bulbs. Is there a super white that illuminates as well as factory high bulbs?

Also, a vendor told me the factory 80watt bulbs would crack the plastic lens over time. Anyone had any issues with this?

Dave
I don't know about the 80 watt bulbs, but I know what you're talking about with the new high beams...here's my take on it:
First, the new HID low beams on the C6 are just excellent, and so in general, the high beams are not going to be able to improve on them as much as some other cars. The low beams give an amazing width of good light, so the high beams were designed to only give a narrow and long range beam that goes straight down the road a long way. When you change the color of this long range beam, it tends to blend into the low beam light and becomes less obvious to the eye. Remember that on most cars, the high beams REPLACE the lows when activated. On our cars, the highs are ADDED to the lows when activated. There are many lonely roads very near where I live, and I went out and tested the new bulbs after I put them in. I found that while the new high beams are not as obvious to the eye when activated, they do actually light up highway reflectors at the same distance as the old, yellower ones. I tried this on reflectors and signs that were up to one mile away from the car.
I changed mine because the difference in color of the high beams was distracting to me while driving. I really like the cooler, whiter light and it feels like it is easier to drive with for long periods at night.
Hope this explanation helps.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Ol'Timer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Would these work in place as just the regular lamps?
I'm not really sure I understand your question, but yes, I'm looking for bulbs that replace the factory high beam bulbs, with a cooler color temp. to match the low beam HIDs.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Ol'Timer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
I don't know about the 80 watt bulbs, but I know what you're talking about with the new high beams...here's my take on it:
First, the new HID low beams on the C6 are just excellent, and so in general, the high beams are not going to be able to improve on them as much as some other cars. The low beams give an amazing width of good light, so the high beams were designed to only give a narrow and long range beam that goes straight down the road a long way. When you change the color of this long range beam, it tends to blend into the low beam light and becomes less obvious to the eye. Remember that on most cars, the high beams REPLACE the lows when activated. On our cars, the highs are ADDED to the lows when activated. There are many lonely roads very near where I live, and I went out and tested the new bulbs after I put them in. I found that while the new high beams are not as obvious to the eye when activated, they do actually light up highway reflectors at the same distance as the old, yellower ones. I tried this on reflectors and signs that were up to one mile away from the car.
I changed mine because the difference in color of the high beams was distracting to me while driving. I really like the cooler, whiter light and it feels like it is easier to drive with for long periods at night.
Hope this explanation helps.
Thanks, Chris for the reply. I agree with you about the excellent coverage from the low beams. The issue with me is the highly defined beam from the lows when driving through the number of shallow hills here in my neck of the woods. While driving flat, things are fine, but through the oopsies, it becomes too easy to outdrive the low beams.

The factory high beams were super in terms of luminosity, but like you, I much prefer the cooler, whiter light. I will stay with the new bulbs and give them a fair chance.

As a side note, I learned a lot about removing the plastic center pin rivets that hold in the molding, including the fact that they cost @$4 a piece to replace. By my reckoning, about half the cost of the car is tied up in these things!! But I have learned to pull them out without breaking them.

Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

As far as I can tell ez2shop123 is still selling bulbs. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZez2shop123
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

As far as I can tell ez2shop123 is still selling bulbs. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZez2shop123
He is correct....there was a time when this seller went over to computer products and didn't do light bulbs anymore, but he is back and is the same one that I bought my first ones from!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

any experience with hella h9 XBs? 4000k and 2900 lumens!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

I installed the some of the fog lamps today. The one on the passenger side appeared not to want to turn the full 60 degrees when tightening. Its on there and it won't come loose but I found it odd that it wouldn't completely turn. The driver's side one turned all they way. For anyone wanted to know how its done, you just have to turn your wheels all the way for each side and remove all the black push in plugs around the outer edge of the wheel well. You should then be able to reach in there and get it done. There is no need to remove the brake ducts at the bottom.

Get notified of new replies

To Whiter High Beam Bulbs...cheap...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I installed the some of the fog lamps today. The one on the passenger side appeared not to want to turn the full 60 degrees when tightening. Its on there and it won't come loose but I found it odd that it wouldn't completely turn. The driver's side one turned all they way. For anyone wanted to know how its done, you just have to turn your wheels all the way for each side and remove all the black push in plugs around the outer edge of the wheel well. You should then be able to reach in there and get it done. There is no need to remove the brake ducts at the bottom.
Good info, I didn't know you could sneak in that way. I undid all the stuff on the bottom of the car when I did mine! You might try a little wd-40 wiped on the flange of the bulb where the gasket is,( not getting any on the glass)...my passenger side high beam bulb was very tight also. I was very surprised at how much force it took to remove the oem bulb!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 AM
op z
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 129 Posts

best $18 spent to date on a mod!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have an 06 Coupe and ever since I purchased it, the color between the highs and lows bothered me but I never did anything about it.

We just ordered a 2011 Grand Sport Vert. Looks like I may have to spend some FIRST MOD Money on it/

Thanks for the cool info.

BC

Quick Reply: Whiter High Beam Bulbs...cheap...