C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know a good lawyer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 AM
allj
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know a good lawyer?

My wife took her car in for service. Also had the windows tinted. They actually tinted over some tape from the temp tag. So my wife took it back to the dealer for some more warranty work and they agreed to fix the back windows. We went to pickup the car Wednesday night and found scratches around the entire back of the car. We refused deliver. Come to find out the dealer uses a third party to tint their windows.

Thursday we had a meeting with the third party, the dealer, and ourselves. The third party (tinter) brought their expert that stated that portions of the car will need to be repainted etc. The expert then wanted to fight me because I was to close to him. The dealership agrees that 7 of the 10 panels on the car will need to be repainted/cleared. $2500 I have requested that the entire car be recleared so their isn't any mismatch between the panels in terms of orange peel etc.

Today another meeting and the dealership had buffed the entire car and 75% of the scratches remain. The back window tint is falling off and we now have swirl marks on the hood. The hood was not involved to begin with. The dealer is now waiting to see what the tinter wants to pay for. That is right what the tinter wants to pay for. The owner of the dealership is of no help at this point. We refused delivery of the car again tonight. The dealerships body shop also is stating if they repaint it will not be until Aug 18th.

I am ready just to take this to the next level to get it resolved.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, sorry you are having to go through this. Hope you can get it resolved without legal action.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,568 Likes on 534 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

What dealer is this?

Feel horrible. What a nightmare
Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 AM
MOUNTINBEAR
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

if they paint your car if you trade it into a dealership, they will be able to tell it was repainted no matter how great they can blend the paint and clear, there is a very simple way to tell it if has been painted, you feel the edges of the hood, door jambs, trunk, with your fingertips, the thin edges, no one ever polishes those edges after a repaint...you will be able to feel the paint and clear isnt smooth...ever see a used car manager running his/her fingers over the edges of your trade? thats what they are looking for, repaint and overspray, a blind person could tell using this method....and they will offer you much lower for it since it has been repainted...I would tell them you also want to be compensated for "diminished value", about $5000 over the cost of the repaint...i would definately have my lawyer send a letter of expectations to them spelling out exactly what you want them to do and let them decide to escalate it to court if they so choose not to compensate you for your damages.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The hood looks terrible. If the rest of your car looks anything close to that...OMG! I'm sorry for your misfortune.

It's not uncommon for a dealership to use an outside window tinter (my dealership does) but you expect and deserve a professional job. There's no excuse for what you're experiencing. The tint job should be acceptable and there shouldn't be any scratches on your car.

I'd demand specifically what you want and if they don't just say "yes" immediately I'd call an attorney. I'm pretty easy to deal with and I use attorney's as a last resort but that kind of negligence is over and above. Sure, a mistake can happen...a small scratch can happen but that level of body damage (70-80%) for a window tinting job is just absurd. They're butchers! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:30 AM
KC-Vette
Melting Slicks

Please fill in your profile....especially your location, others like me, cannot help you find an attorney without info.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I really hate to hear things like this. Please let us know where you are located so we can try and help.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 AM
WickedPrincess
8th Gear

Colorado
Old 07-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Zotic
Racer

Inclusive of “detailed” photographs of the entire vehicle, thoroughly record and/or document the positions of all parties. It will aid the attorney in preparing the case, if it proves necessary. A most unfortunate situation, best of luck.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:09 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 309 Likes on 199 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

What a shame..... sorry for your troubles. I know I would be EXTREMELY upset over it. I hope you handle it better than I would.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 AM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The first thing an attorney will tell you to do is to document/write down all conversations/communications with all parties and the dates to form a timeline to the best of your memory. Do this now, because each day that goes by human beings start to forget details of events. A good attorney will tell you to ride it out to see if you can resolve it rather than paying him to do it for you. Paying an attorney to do anything other than making some phone calls will cost you more than paying the $2500 yourself to get it fixed/repainted.

Good luck to you sir
Old 07-26-2008, 04:45 AM
troy144
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just ugly
Old 07-26-2008, 06:29 AM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, looks like they had the owners 15 year old son buffing out the car. They did a horrible job.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:41 AM
C6CPA
Burning Brakes

That is one strange looking Corvette in the photo - very different from mine.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The hood looks terrible. If the rest of your car looks anything close to that...OMG! I'm sorry for your misfortune.

It's not uncommon for a dealership to use an outside window tinter (my dealership does) but you expect and deserve a professional job. There's no excuse for what you're experiencing. The tint job should be acceptable and there shouldn't be any scratches on your car.

I'd demand specifically what you want and if they don't just say "yes" immediately I'd call an attorney. I'm pretty easy to deal with and I use attorney's as a last resort but that kind of negligence is over and above. Sure, a mistake can happen...a small scratch can happen but that level of body damage (70-80%) for a window tinting job is just absurd. They're butchers! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 AM
TinSoldier
Advanced

Wow, what did they think cause the scratches? Tinting doesn't really have any equipment except for a razor and a squeezy.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:49 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

nice jester for the dealer to bring the tinter into the meeting, but he (dealer) was trying to weezle out of being the responsible person in this case. He was all too willing to let you and the tinter work things out, which is b.s.- YOU need to hold the dealers feet to the fire, tell him to have it repaired at a shop of YOUR choice, or you will sue him. Also, tell him up front that he is going to pay for a rental for your wife to use while repairs are made,have him call a rental while you watch.
As for the cluck that wanted to fight-shows the intelligence level of the dealers choice. Scumbag that probably had a bunch of goats in his yard.................

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know a good lawyer?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

A real mess, and I think you are correct you will need a lawyer.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 798 Posts

Looks like belt buckle syndrome......and careless workers. Talk to a local attorney if you cant work a satisfactory settlement out to repaint/reclear. The dealer will also have insurance.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, that's terrible...

Quick Reply: Anyone know a good lawyer?