C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 interior issues ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Try the "Exit / Entry" feature...

I've always used it, and have never experienced such wear. Make sure that the "exit" position is far back = then you just kind of "fall in" to the seat = very little bolster wear.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 589 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
It's pathetic to have to engineer an entrance/exit method in order to minimize wear on your leather seats.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 AM
BetterMostC6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red98C5
This may be hounded to death, but new to the C6 arena I only caught a glimpse of the question. Does everybody have issues with the leather seat covers wearing prematurely? I had issues with my 98 C5 having wear and de-lamination but since GM replaced the covers "way back when" they were fine. Will I see similar problems in my 09 C6??
If I were a betting man I would put my money on YES! I have a hole starting in my 08 already with 4K miles on it.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 416 Posts

It's pathetic to have to engineer an entrance/exit method in order to minimize wear on your leather seats.
I had a BMW 528 that had weatherstripping along the door frame that would get torn to shreds every 6 months. You couldn't enter or exit the car without rubbing against it. Every six months, I had to have it replaced by the dealer until I finally sold the car.

Hey, our government can't figure out an exit strategy for Iraq...how do you expect GM to figure one out for the Corvette?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannet
Possibly. The same basic issues are there. A lot of it is in how you get in and out of the car.
I've owned perhaps twenty cars and never once had to worry about "how I get in and out of the car" until buying my '09 C6 - despite the fact that the C6 is the most expensive of them all by far.

The truth of that matter is that this leather in particular and the seats in general are CHEAP and have no place in a car of this caliber and cost.

Making excuses for GM's poor quality helps no-one other than those who choose to drink the Kool Aid.

OBVIOUSLY these seats are poor:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2147983

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 10-06-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just put your right leg in the car (like you would for any other car), and your left hand on the door frame (where the door striker locks in) for support and set your *** in the seat. you won't even touch the bolster. no engineering, no contortion involved. i've got a bad lower back and two bad knees and this is easy. what's pathetic is screwing-up the outside of the seat, for gods sake, and complaining it's the seat's fault.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:29 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is not whether one can devise a method to enter the car without damaging the seats - the issue is whether under normal use, abnormal wear results. Clearly, designers could forsee that not everyone would or could levitate into the seats so not to ever rub the bolster of the seat. Again, its a design and materials problem and probably not thousands of dollars to rectify, but hundreds. I'm happy for those that are able to get in the car without damage to the seats - but obviously there are enough people who aren't able to do so that makes this a legitimate complaint and something GM should address.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Jeff Pedersen
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
I've owned perhaps twenty cars and never once had to worry about "how I get in and out of the car" until buying my '09 C6 - despite the fact that the C6 is the most expensive of them all by far.

The truth of that matter is that this leather in particular and the seats in general are CHEAP and have no place in a car of this caliber and cost.

Making excuses for GM's poor quality helps no-one other than those who choose to drink the Kool Aid.

OBVIOUSLY these seats are poor:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2147983
Like the song. Here we go again.....

I have the 4LT and love the seats. Good looking, comfortable and well made.

All seats are subject to wear and abuse. Having chains on your wallet, keys in back pocket, tools, and whatever metal on your pants and even jackets will damage any seat made by any manufacturer.

Last edited by Jeff Pedersen; 10-06-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BillH2121
The issue is not whether one can devise a method to enter the car without damaging the seats - the issue is whether under normal use, abnormal wear results. Clearly, designers could forsee that not everyone would or could levitate into the seats so not to ever rub the bolster of the seat. Again, its a design and materials problem and probably not thousands of dollars to rectify, but hundreds. I'm happy for those that are able to get in the car without damage to the seats - but obviously there are enough people who aren't able to do so that makes this a legitimate complaint and something GM should address.
They need to address the entire seat.

Only those who have a good upholsterer disassemble/rebuilt their seat (as I did with just 500 miles showing on my new '09) will know the reasons why.

EVERYTHING about these seats is awful. The lower cushion's suspension system and the side of the back rest were cutting heavily into the factory foam after just 500 miles of driving (I weigh roughly 195 pounds with clothes on - hardly a huge guy.)

The soft, open cell foam was extruding right through the inadequate cushion suspension webbing.

So basically, these seats literally begin to self-destruct from the moment someone first sits in them.

The cheesy factory leather is the most outwardly visible clue of the quality of these seats and things get no better on the inside.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen
Like the song. Here we go again.....

I have the 4LT and love the seats. Good looking, comfortable and well made.
Both "Car And Driver and "Edmunds" referred to the C6's seats as "flimsy:"

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ette_road_test

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123805

I have owned perhaps twenty cars/light trucks (including two stripped 2wd Toyota pickups) and my C6's seats are, WITHOUT A DOUBT, the most poorly constructed, lowest quality seats of all.

The Walmart grade leather speaks for itself to anyone who has actually seen/sat in anything that remotely resembles "good looking," quality leather. GM doesn't even "back" their cheap (young calf) leather with gauze or nylon. Instead they glue it directly to the foam. That's why it stretches, tears and cracks. Furthermore, the factory covers are poorly sewn and don't fit well.

I guess this is your definition of "comfortable and well made:"

Pics of 2LT/3LT/4LT "sport seat" in its "exposed" state:

The stock lower cushion suspension system and the cheap, low density, open cell foam. A proper system would use springs around the full perimeter and would have a tightly woven "mesh" consisting of a roughly equal number of lateral and longitudinal wiring - preferably rubber coated. A proper seat would also use high density (and often closed cell) foam - generally at least two different types, which the softer layer on top.)

The naked truth; there's the suspension system in its "as installed" position:

Widely spaced longitudinal piano wire strands cut into soft, low density, open cell foam and allow it to extrude between the wide gaps. Tighter spacing and the additional of tightly spaced lateral strands (connected to the longitudinal strands in an "mesh) would solve this problem:

Another member's pics depicting how the knife-edged seat back corner cuts right through the seat-backs side bolsters:

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 10-06-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are cool pictures. I've never seen them before.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:33 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ALZ51
Those are cool pictures. I've never seen them before.
IMHO, "inexcusable" is a more suitable adjective.

I am simply ASTONISHED by the poor quality of these seats and the fact that GM specifies them for what is essentially their "halo" car.

I am also angered by having to drop $850 of my own money - two weeks after buying their $53,000 car - in order to make the seat feel the way it SHOULD have felt straight from the factory.

$25 per seat spent on a lower proper cushion suspension structure and decent foam would have made a HUGE difference. Those sharp edges on the seat back ridges should have a heavy duty felt installed over them. They also need to move the "lumbar support" membrane down by an inch or so. That's essentially a freebie, yet they couldn't even get that right.

Another $25 per seat would pay for respectable leather and good vinyl in lieu of that cheesy looking synthetic weave they specify for the "hidden" areas.

So figure $100 total per car on GM's end would have yielded a VASTLY superior seat that would have done the C6 justice.

They could charge another $200 per car and make a 100% profit on the deal. I think they would SELL MORE CARS because the car would be so much better to sit in and drive.

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 10-06-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
T's C6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to my dealer today and told them of my seat wear that I posted here a few days ago. The service manager told me when I get back in town he will have a new seat cover waiting for me and they will install it with extra foam in the bolster area covered under warrenty. I also bought some Wet Okole seat covers for it, so it will not happen again and he said that they will also install them for me. It all depends on your dealer doing the work, (Bruce Lowrie Chevorlet in Ft Worth, TX) also a sponsor of Cowtown Corvette Club.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go AGAIN!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannet
Possibly. The same basic issues are there. A lot of it is in how you get in and out of the car.
I don't have any problems with 'premature' wear on my 2005 C6 seats but I don't slide-into the seat nor do I drag myself out of it.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I don't have any problems with 'premature' wear on my 2005 C6 seats but I don't slide-into the seat nor do I drag myself out of it.
How many miles do you have on your car?

A properly engineered seat wouldn't require an engineered solution to getting in and out of it...As you can see in this link, these seats are anything but properly engineered: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...5&postcount=30

Do you track the car with the stock seat? I can't even imagine how "challenging" that must be, since the seats offer virtually no support.

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 10-06-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
_Nathan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wayne88
The side bolster is made of vinyl, not leather.
Vinyl??? Bwah, ha, ha, ha!!

For comparison, here is what actual leather looks like:

Last edited by _Nathan; 10-06-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 interior issues ??

Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
harddrivin1le
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Vinyl??? Bwah, ha, ha, ha!!

For comparison, here is what actual leather looks like:
Damn straight.

I'd take a decent cloth over the "leather" in my C6 any day of the week and I'd gladly trade a well constructed, fully MANUAL seat for the "8 way power" features in these seats. They COULD offer such a seat for the same $$$ as what they're offering now, yet they don't.

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 10-06-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
SL41
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

i too have the exact same issue with my 06. this is such unbelieveable design flaw for a $50k car. i am 6'0", 185# hardly considered fat by any standard.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

I'm having my Dealer install new seat covers later this month... should I ask them to install "extra" foam before replacing the covers? has anyone else had this done?

...starting to wonder if I shouldn't go aftermarket on the seat covers instead of OEM..

Quick Reply: C6 interior issues ??