C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution to my Parking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
waldow
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jschindler
I understand that they can be, but I've never seen them brought in to any neighborhood I've lived in - they have all been stick built. As far as the gang nail plates, we see some of that here in Houston due to hurricane proofing the houses - but I agree, and you certainly know more about it than I do

EDIT - I just looked at the pics again. I think the nail plates you are referring to were used when they cut the hole in his garage. If you look at them, they are used to join the 2x12's that were used when the hole was cut, and the vertical studs look like they were actually added for reinforcements.
If you look at the pics,the gang nail plates are on the trusses and the 2 x 12s are attached to the trusses with an angle clips (probably Simpson product) which are standard attachment type brackets but are attached by nails. Gang nail plates are factory (usually) attached by the teeth on the back of the plates and not nailed on. Has nothing to do with hurricane, but you can order the trusses beefed up for more wind rating or loading. I have built homes in SE Texas and Westhimer Section of Huston (been so long can't remember spelling). They are all around you, or at least in the early 80s they were.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Django
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waldow
If you look at the pics,the gang nail plates are on the trusses and the 2 x 12s are attached to the trusses with an angle clips (probably Simpson product) which are standard attachment type brackets but are attached by nails. Gang nail plates are factory (usually) attached by the teeth on the back of the plates and not nailed on. Has nothing to do with hurricane, but you can order the trusses beefed up for more wind rating or loading. I have built homes in SE Texas and Westhimer Section of Huston (been so long can't remember spelling). They are all around you, or at least in the early 80s they were.
They are prefab trusses.

Cut out 2 bottom cords to get 6' across x 7' long opening.

Framing view from sides and top.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
FUNTRUN
Racer

Dude, you must have some serious car payments.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
waldow
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Django- As I stated, it looks like a great job as far as structural reconstruction goes. No problem from me at all.

My point is -- I am a licensed contractor. Whenever I cut a prefab truss, I am required to have in my possession, for the building inspectors, an engineering letter from the truss manufacturer telling me how to cut, where I can cut, and how the reconstruction must be accomplished. As several engineers and architects here have said in this thread, it is not a good idea for the homeowner or anyone to cut structural trusses. It is (in my state) illegal for anyone to cut and rebuild prefab trusses. Anyone can be held accountable if they do.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Great idea! thats really
Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 PM
SE-Rious
1st Gear

Default Rise From The Dead!!!

OP has the douchiest assortment of cars EVAR!
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Originally Posted by philip_g
can you cut a truss like that and not have the roof fall in?
It certainly GREATLY weakens the roof structure.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Cutting those trusses is a NO NO!

Guard Dad: California General Contractors License #638132 retired.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by SE-Rious
OP has the douchiest assortment of cars EVAR!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 PM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice setup! I used a slightly easier solution, made my daughter park her Mustang in the drive!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM
kimdjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by philip_g
can you cut a truss like that and not have the roof fall in?
That's what I would wonder. Those parts cut out, look pretty structural.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 AM
The Inspector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waldow
contacting a contractor is a no no- should have had a letter and drawing from truss manufacturer. It is illegal in most states to cut trusses in any manner without engineering from truss people. This will come into play usually when a "scuttle hole" was required to gain access into a ceiling area and was left out in the planning. Most good building inspectors will then make you get the engineering letter and drawing for the solution.

That said-- great job and solution to the problem!
In addition instead of painting the wood "box" I would suggest covering it with fire rated drywall material. Garages need to be encased in drywall to slow the spread of fire into the attic and house. If you have any home inspector friends you may want to have them look this over. When the day comes to sell the house it could become an issue. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

The material removed was under tension, its removal will allow the roof to settle over time and the walls to splay outward. The added material, though substantial, will not provide the needed strength.

The comment about drywall being necessary to provide the required firebreak is on point. The drywall should be 5/8" fire rated and installed over approved framing using appropriate length fasteners that are spaced to code and all joints must be appropriately mudded and trimmed.

It's a creative solution to a storage problem but you've seriously compromised the structure of the the home. If you are lucky enough to not have serious problems you will still have issues when you go to sell the property, any home inspector worth his salt will red flag that change.

I specialized in getting homes ready for resale and I always cringed when I saw alterations such as this because they were ALWAYS a deal breaker. People were always removing or wanting to remove non-load bearing structure that was actually load bearing.

Also, just slapping some replacement lumber in the hole will not cut it, the repair will have to be well thought out or it won't fly either. It customarily takes a licensed structural engineer to sign off on such non-standard changes. If a guest or visitor to the home were to sustain a loss or injury as a result of the change compromising the structure you will be looking at some serious liability issues as well.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 07-18-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

∆ Django now aren't you glad you posted this.

Last edited by myfunz; 07-18-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Originally Posted by myfunz
∆ Django now aren't you glad you posted this.
I know this comes off as a lot of negativity but the facts are that this alteration can have some serious negative consequences. Speaking as a fellow Corvette owner and an interested observer it is in his best interests that he be subjected to a little tough love so that people or his finances aren't hurt down the line.

Quick Reply: Solution to my Parking Problem