C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another dealer horror story - what to do now

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM
als2052
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have never had a good experience with any dealer in the past 39 years...they are worst than lawyers and just as dangerous as terrorists...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
As some of you know I believe most dealerships are incompetent thieves. But people keep reporting here what great dealers they have that give them free inspections that luckily found their framus connector was loose and for $300 they would tighten it... So I've got a seat that doesn't always move automatically, a one time air bag warning light, and the universal rear end clunk/grinding/popping and I figure I will take it to a large Chevy dealer that I haven't been to in 20 years. They sell quite a few Corvettes and support the local Corvette club. How bad can it be? I get the car back and the seat is working (that lasted for 24 hours before it quit again), the air bag light isn't lit (it only lit once before), and the rear is quiet. I also have 2 cracked rocker panels.

When I went in I was very polite but insistent that they do use jacking pucks, don't they? Oh, yes, I was assured. They knew all about using pucks on newer Corvettes. I pointed out that just in case they didn't, I brought a set of 4 and would leave them on the passenger seat. No, need, I was assured, they always use them. Later, when I pointed out the cracked rockers the comment was "I've never seen anything like that before." They also dinged the paint in several places on the passenger door and both rockers.

They got a manager to look at them and quickly agreed to have their body shop repair the cracked rockers. So here's my question: should I let them fix the rockers or should I just quit while I'm not too far behind?
My local idiot dealer cracked one of my rocker panels (small crack) when my car had less than 1000 miles on it.
He offered to let his "approved" body shop fix it. I took one look at the body shop they use and ran! It was a gross, dirty and disgusting place. I wouldn't leave my car there for 10 minutes much less for 2 days while they do god knows what to it.
Take it to someone you trust and charge the dealer back. You'll only get in deeper with his method....tell him it's the only was you'll roll.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 227 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Cracked mine during an oil change. Same deal with the pucks but they didn't use them. Got a rental and also had rocker panel repaired to my satisfaction. Let them fix it. It's not a big deal. Good luck and find another dealer.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sorry about the damage to your car. You can lift a Vette without jacking pucks and without causing damage but obviously they were careless and negligent with your car. It's a shame.

What I like about the rectangular BMW jacking pucks...you can put them in before your car goes to the dealership and you know they'll stay in-place. It's no quaranty the "mechanic" will know what they're for but at least it's something. I've even taped instructions inside my car concerning the use of jacking pucks, placing it in reverse when they park it and no test drives. Although, I've had generally good luck at my dealership I've only taken my Vette to the dealership 3 or 4 times in 3.5 years. No major horror stories.

I'd make them fix the car to your satisfaction and give you a comparable loaner until its done. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Another dealer horror story - what to do now