C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GS vs. 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
MBN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you test drive both, and more than once if you can.

I like the 997 Carreras, and I seriously considered buying one on more than one occasion. I have test driven many of them, but I finally realized that they did not offer enough acceleration to satisfy me. (I am only talking about 911s, not GT3s or Turbos. They were out of my price range.)

One of the Carreras I drove was a 2009 911s with the dual clutch gearbox (PDK). This had the upgraded engine with 385HP, and it reportedly does the quarter mile in the mid 12 second range.

I liked everything about the car except the power. I had a pretty good opportunity to run it. One thing I tried gave me a good feel for how much acceleration I would feel in the real world. I put it in second gear and ran it full throttle up to the power peak. I let it coast down to medium level revs, and I hammered it again, running it out in 2nd gear. I have to say that it just didn't seem to push me in the seat very hard. To me, IMHO, it just didn't feel like a 12 second car.

I knew right then that I wouldn't be happy with it. In essence, I was comparing a 6 cylinder (Porsche) to an 8 cylinder (Corvette).

All of the 997s (non-Turbo) I have driven felt weak compared to C6 Corvettes. To be fair, the Porsches are not really designed for drag racing. And, to be fair, I favor acceleration more than many folks.

I should say that I would probably buy a new 911s with the PDK transmission as an everyday sports car if I were wealthy and owned a bunch of cars. I think, for me, the Porsche might be an easier car to live with day to day than my Corvette. I could expand on this if you are curious why I feel this way.

They are fun to drive, and unique. There really is nothing like them. But if you are a horsepower junkie you may be disappointed if you buy a Carrera.

One last thing. Last year, my boss bought a 2006 911s at the same time I bought my Z06. In the first month or two of ownership of my new Vette I was having a little buyer's remorse, wondering if I made the right choice. I was still learning how to enjoy the Vette and I was wondering if a Porsche might have been more satisfying.

Well, one day my boss took me for a drive in his car, and he let me drive it quite a bit. I had the opportunity to take it out on a great local highway and open her up! Well, after driving a Z06 for a couple of months, I thought the Porsche felt really weak. I also noticed the ride was rough compared to the Vette. (The Carreras have pretty short wheelbases.)

So, instantly, my buyer's remorse was gone. At that moment, I wanted to go home and hug my Corvette! WHAT A CAR!

Of course, I didn't tell my boss any of this.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
...he actually used another member name (Guibo) to back up his statements...
You seem to believe that just because two people share similar opinions, that fact establishes them as the same person. Given your bizarre logic, there has to be several hundred examples of this on the forum, since many other people here share similar opinions with regard to cars.

It appears that your only objective with continuing to post about your wild goose chase is to either gum up threads, or for self entertainment, or both.

Last edited by Notch; 08-25-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notch
You seem to believe that just because two people share similar opinions, that fact establishes them as the same person. Given your bizarre logic, there has to be several hundred examples of this on the forum, since many other people here share similar opinions with regard to cars.

It appears that your only objective with continuing to post about your wild goose chase is to either gum up threads, or for self entertainment, or both.
I'm not going to get into this with you again. So for the last time. As we both know I'm not the first to recognize you used another member name to back up your own opinions. Members have the ability to use the search on CF. After that they can decide themselves just how credible you are.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I'm not going to get into this with you again.
Then stop following me around on the forum and posting about your wild goose chase.

As we both know I'm not the first to recognize you used another member name to back up your own opinions.
You have recognized nothing. You have continually tried to establish as fact something that contains not one shred of truth.

Give it up.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Then stop following me around on the forum and posting about your wild goose chase.

You have recognized nothing. You have continually tried to establish as fact something that contains not one shred of truth.

Give it up.
Simply pointing out a fact so that the mods and members are both aware.

Listen you show up on every Porsche thread. Although that is not a problem members should be aware of your credibilty. You had or have 2 member names. The other is (guibo). Members have the ability to search if they the desire.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Simply pointing out a fact so that the mods and members are both aware.

Listen you show up on every Porsche thread. Although that is not a problem members should be aware of your credibilty. You had or have 2 member names. The other is (guibo). Members have the ability to search if they the desire.
Always wondered about the invisible plane.....now maybe we know

Last edited by jamesbertero; 08-25-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jamesbertero
Always wondered about the invisible plane.....no maybe we know

Great pic.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Notch
Safety Car

You had or have 2 member names. The other is (guibo). Members have the ability to search if they the desire.
Maybe you missed my post above. Here it is again...

"You seem to believe that just because two people share similar opinions, that fact establishes them as the same person. Given your bizarre logic, there has to be several hundred examples of this on the forum, since many other people here share similar opinions with regard to cars."
Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Maybe you missed my post above. Here it is again...

"You seem to believe that just because two people share similar opinions, that fact establishes them as the same person. Given your bizarre logic, there has to be several hundred examples of this on the forum, since many other people here share similar opinions with regard to cars."
Search is your friend.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

This thread has run it's course.

Quick Reply: 2010 GS vs. 911