C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
RLJ676
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks.

I have had good luck buying big items sight unseen, but it is scary (this vette and a boat both from TX).

While you are (and should be) pissed, with a decent fix the damaged panels should not hinder your enjoyment of an otherwise awesome car.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If the seller did, in fact, lie about previous damage to the car...there's no excuse for that (it's a longshot but maybe he's an idiot and didn't know). What further recourse you might have (or desire) at this point is uncertain. I understand the long distance nature of the sale but to be honest, if also seems you were a bit negligent in your pre-purchase due diligence. The fact the car had sustained previous damage/repairs should have been discovered before you arrived...service histories aren't overly difficult to obtain. Despite a disappointing start I hope everything goes well with the car from here. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

It might be worthwhile to mention that you can not delete a post if someone quotes your post in that same thread
Old 12-19-2010, 09:56 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CK 6...

What do you have to say ?

Last edited by savewave; 12-24-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Updating to address name change on seller
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

"the car had a clean CarFax".....CARFAX is worthless! Did you pay for that carfax report? Isn't there some sort of guarantee they offer?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
If the seller did, in fact, lie about previous damage to the car...there's no excuse for that (it's a longshot but maybe he's an idiot and didn't know). What further recourse you might have (or desire) at this point is uncertain. I understand the long distance nature of the sale but to be honest, if also seems you were a bit negligent in your pre-purchase due diligence. The fact the car had sustained previous damage/repairs should have been discovered before you arrived...service histories aren't overly difficult to obtain. Despite a disappointing start I hope everything goes well with the car from here. Good luck.
Good points! Another opportunity would be to check the VIN with YOUR insurance company. They may be able to come up with some significant information.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
"the car had a clean CarFax".....CARFAX is worthless! Did you pay for that carfax report? Isn't there some sort of guarantee they offer?
Carfax is only as good as the service/repair shop is about reporting.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
fatboy93
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I agree, I should have done more on my end prior to purchase. However, Jon Wall Chevy would not release any of the information I posted until the car was registered (had to fax them a copy) in my name, which I think is BS too.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Very unfortunate situation. Apparently, the original owner had the car repaired at his own expense so that he did not have to disclose the repair.

I wounder what the true value of the car would have been if the accident damage was considered in the price. In view of the accident post on the forum the car should be checked for hidden damage. You should check if you have any recourse was the sale "as is"

good luck
Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Very unfortunate situation. Apparently, the original owner had the car repaired at his own expense so that he did not have to disclose the repair.

I wounder what the true value of the car would have been if the accident damage was considered in the price. In view of the accident post on the forum the car should be checked for hidden damage. You should check if you have any recourse was the sale "as is"

good luck
It is John Wall Chevy's responsibility to report the repairs to carfax.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

To the OP...I would get every quote from the member related to this damage I could find and save it as an HTML web archive.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by fatboy93
I agree, I should have done more on my end prior to purchase. However, Jon Wall Chevy would not release any of the information I posted until the car was registered (had to fax them a copy) in my name, which I think is BS too.
this does not surprise me and that's why I posted that a vin or even GM's proprietary VIS system may or may not have this information in their computers. from what I understand, the info that is in the VIS has to do with recalls done, warranty work, etc. someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 PM
fatboy93
5th Gear

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
To the OP...I would get every quote from the member related to this damage I could find and save it as an HTML web archive.
Most of our dealings were done over the phone. However, once I got back, found the damage and started pressing for information he stopped answering the phone and replied via email:

"I prefer to communicate by e-mail than phone."
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Why not PM this guy, alert him to this thread, and tell him a thousand Members are waiting for his response.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c1vettes
Why not PM this guy, alert him to this thread, and tell him a thousand Members are waiting for his response.
He was last on 12/17. I doubt he will be visting this.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 PM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

Default Response?

I'll bet you he won't respond! The cat's out of the bag on this one with the GM paperwork!

Get notified of new replies

To Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would sue him, Just for H of it. That BS about him being ex military, I wouldn't
them as much as non military. Like they wouldn't trust me. They run in there own
circle.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatboy93
Most of our dealings were done over the phone. However, once I got back, found the damage and started pressing for information he stopped answering the phone and replied via email:

"I prefer to communicate by e-mail than phone."
I'm talking about anything said by the member about the car in the past on this forum.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Not sticking up for the guy but the past post, etc says the door and quarter panel were worked on and not the front fender which the op said he was asked What's that old saying about buyer beware? i doubt you can even buy a new car with a total assurance that everything you were told about the car is the truth!

Quick Reply: Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.