C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Hours of Sebring...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
I know Fehan is biased but he said last year at Road America that because of the OHV setup that they are penalized more than the rest.
I don't know...take a look at any tests of stock cars...like the Lightning Round on C&D. BMW's times are nowhere to be found in track performance vs a Z06 or ZR1.

BMW M3/3:05.4/2/2010
Corvette Z06/2:53.5/2011
Corvette ZR1/2:51.8/2010

What does that tell you?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

They get penalized and don't do squat about it and in return all they do is LOSE.It's BORING and not fun to watch and to listen to year after year.Same old nonsense,different way of explaining the same old excuses.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The BMW's run a 30,1 mm intake restrictor

The Corvette runs a 28.8 mm

Add that to the added 30 pounds of weight the Corvette must carry, its easy to see why they are never winning.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The BMW's run a 30,1 mm intake restrictor

The Corvette runs a 28.8 mm

Add that to the added 30 pounds of weight the Corvette must carry, its easy to see why they are never winning.
..and they don't raise holy hell like they should.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 08crm
..and they don't raise holy hell like they should.
Ive been saying the same thing for the past year. I love ALMS but its not a coincidence that their rise tied in when the C5-R came out in the late 90's.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They get penalized and don't do squat about it and in return all they do is LOSE.It's BORING and not fun to watch and to listen to year after year.Same old nonsense,different way of explaining the same old excuses.
I have to wonder if Corporate really cares. Corvette had its sucesses, and they have been riding the wave ever since. Corporate has been getting the brand out there for the rest of the world to see for 10 years now.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JLinNY
It would be the same old crying that was heard last year, and here we are this year with the same results.

If Corvette was so concerned with the "disadvantage", why didn't they throw their weight around in an effort to change things?
Geezzzz I was gonna keep my mouth shut as it is silly to try and fix s****d but here goes.

Go to an ALMS RACE. Learn about the History of Corvette Racing in the C5 and C6 programs. STOP, LISTEN AND LEARN about a topic before you go running off at the mouth.

"What weight" to throw around???? The ALMS is terrified of Corvette. Corvette so beat up the GT1 class as to kill it and drive other cars away. They are concerned about that happening to GT2 now called GT and simply will not allow it to happen again.

Last year there was an issue with the engine or some part of the car (can't recall) early on so ALMS hit Corvette Racing with some kind of penalty/restriction going in....

Next we have HUGE sponsorship issues. The BIG sponser for ALMS is Patron. Get it--PATRON...they are a booze company. Boose and street cars are not a great combo.

Corvette and at least one other automaker last year refused to include a reference to Patron on their ALMS press releases that ALMS wanted. GM didn't think it would be great to have Corvette Press releases with reference to a booze company.

Notice how little air time Corvette received last year--care to guess why???? ALMS is not concerned about keeping Corvette Racing happy--CR doesn't have "weight to throw around" to get what they want.

3rd and 4th, not bad for a start...lets just see about Long Beach (Fehan will give a report there as to what happened at Sebring) and Le Mans...then we start to bitch if things still seem "off".
Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Geezzzz I was gonna keep my mouth shut as it is silly to try and fix s****d but here goes.

Go to an ALMS RACE. Learn about the History of Corvette Racing in the C5 and C6 programs. STOP, LISTEN AND LEARN about a topic before you go running off at the mouth.

"What weight" to throw around???? The ALMS is terrified of Corvette. Corvette so beat up the GT1 class as to kill it and drive other cars away. They are concerned about that happening to GT2 now called GT and simply will not allow it to happen again.

Last year there was an issue with the engine or some part of the car (can't recall) early on so ALMS hit Corvette Racing with some kind of penalty/restriction going in....

Next we have HUGE sponsorship issues. The BIG sponser for ALMS is Patron. Get it--PATRON...they are a booze company. Boose and street cars are not a great combo.

Corvette and at least one other automaker last year refused to include a reference to Patron on their ALMS press releases that ALMS wanted. GM didn't think it would be great to have Corvette Press releases with reference to a booze company.

Notice how little air time Corvette received last year--care to guess why???? ALMS is not concerned about keeping Corvette Racing happy--CR doesn't have "weight to throw around" to get what they want.

3rd and 4th, not bad for a start...lets just see about Long Beach (Fehan will give a report there as to what happened at Sebring) and Le Mans...then we start to bitch if things still seem "off".
in 2009 they ran a 6'2 ltr with direct injection. BMW and Ferrari bitched that since no Vette has direct injection that they should be allowed to race it. ACO agreed and the Corvette lost that the rest of the year. They were allowed to keep the 6'2 for the remainder of 2009 though

Make no mistake though, if Corvette does not have the weight, Porsche does. THey were nearly 1 second slower on their best laps compared to the BMW.

Last edited by KBow_Photo; 03-19-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

I wasn't bored. They really haven't got a fair playing field but they did drive well and they did a good job with their pit stops. New drivers didn't screw the pooch. 3 & 4 ain't bad when you left Porsche and Ferrari behind. My complaint is with the restrictions.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Oh sorry dude, we are obviously not as perceptive as you think you are

Sorry you don't like the post, but maybe you didn't realize that this is a free forum where people are allowed to express their views, whether you agree or not.

The people here who are disappointed have the right to be. You don't agree, go start your own thread.

Oh and just to let you know, I've been to seven ALMS races so far, and will be attending my 8th in Long Beach next month. See? There is something you don't know.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I have to wonder if Corporate really cares. Corvette had its sucesses, and they have been riding the wave ever since. Corporate has been getting the brand out there for the rest of the world to see for 10 years now.
Trust me, corporate cares. If they didn't Corvette Racing wouldn't exist. They wouldn't bother to spend the money on it.

They also wouldn't be playing all the Corvette commercials they do..more now than in any time in Corvette history...including the commercial specifically congratulating Corvette on winning Petite LeMans at the end of last season...don't forget that one!!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I wasn't bored. They really haven't got a fair playing field but they did drive well and they did a good job with their pit stops. New drivers didn't screw the pooch. 3 & 4 ain't bad when you left Porsche and Ferrari behind. My complaint is with the restrictions.
I think Milner has a lot of promise. It's nicew to see a younger guy out there raring to go
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Trust me, corporate cares. If they didn't Corvette Racing wouldn't exist. They wouldn't bother to spend the money on it.

They also wouldn't be playing all the Corvette commercials they do..more now than in any time in Corvette history...including the commercial specifically congratulating Corvette on winning Petite LeMans at the end of last season...don't forget that one!!

GM exists to sell cars. That's it. This series is a way for GM to get the Corvette brand out there on a worldwide stage. That, and the technology from the race cars benefits the street cars.

I think corporate would be just fone with lower podium or at least competitive finishes. Don't get me wrong, if Corvette was constantly in last place all last year, then I would bet corporate would be taking a long look at whether this program was worth it or not.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Youre correct, Corporate cares because the vast majority of people attending ALMS races are there for 1 car and that is Corvette.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the interview with Mr. Fehan on Corvette Blogger, the CR team as gone back to E10 fuel. Thus not having to carry the extra fuel weight and longer having to use the smaller intake restriction. If that officially did happen then the field should be more or less equal.

Lets see how the season plays out.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 243 Posts

Things could be a lot worse, last year they ran into each other in the pits. Would have been nice to see a victory for the Sebring Race, as it is the most prestigious American sports car endurance race. The wholy grail is Le Mans. Hope they get it together for that one.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

But booze and racecars are?

This is such an incredibly ridiculous statement that I had to comment on it.

Quick Reply: 12 Hours of Sebring...