C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched to ceramic brakes...thumbs up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to get ceramics get a good set, carbotech or hawks, etc. I have Carbotech 1521, good till 900 degress which means for any street driving or autocross they are just fine. For HPDE's I switch to a racing pad. The nice thing about Carbotech is there are no rivets.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by kliph
If ceramic pads are not for the track.
What is used on the track.
A track pad. Carbotech XP10's for the front and XP8 for the rear. Of course there are other pads out there.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
kliph
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TMyers
A track pad. Carbotech XP10's for the front and XP8 for the rear. Of course there are other pads out there.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by shelleygraham
Which carbotech ceramic pads. I see xp8, xp10,xp12, etc. Thanks
Bobcat 1521. All other pads are for the track.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Z16
Ceramics do not perform at all when heated up. they fade quite badly almost to the point of no pedal if overheated.
I put about 60,000 on ceramics on my C5 and they performed OK for street use. It is true that the stock pads are a higher quality and performance. I am currently using the stock pads on my 08 and the dust is a bit excessive and there is a squeal, but that is part if the qualities of a high performance pad.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I put about 60,000 on ceramics on my C5 and they performed OK for street use. It is true that the stock pads are a higher quality and performance. I am currently using the stock pads on my 08 and the dust is a bit excessive and there is a squeal, but that is part if the qualities of a high performance pad.
No, the 1521 compound will perform like stock or better with less dust and no noise. Our pads and backing plates are of the highest standards.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Joeman3519
Please help a newb out that needs to replace brake pads, I have z-51 brakes and would love to loose the brake dust but don't want to sacrifice performance. How hard to you have to ride ceramics to make them fade and if the get that hot will they do damage to the rotors. Also do I need to replace the rotors too? Any ceramics that won't fade with heat?

Also is pad replacement an easy DIY? How bout rotors?
Pads are a easy DIY, the 1521 has the stopping power of stock and will last 2-3 times longer than stock with less dust by about 50%. Carbotech compounds are ceramic BASED! We use other materials such as Kevlar in our compounds.

Carbotech Performance Brakes, the world leader in Ceramic friction materials. It was over eight years ago that Carbotech started building brake pads out of Ceramic, Kevlar, and Carbon for street, autocross and racing applications. Carbotech is the only brake pad manufacturer in the world with a complete line of Ceramic compounds for street, autocross, and track use. Carbotech-Ceramic compounds are known for their unsurpassed release & modulation, while maintaining very consistent torque control characteristics. Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust, that’s something that has been unmatched by any other brake pad in the industry.

Contact me at 216-780-8825 to talk or place an order
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Which carbotech ceramic pads. I see xp8, xp10,xp12, etc. Thanks

1521 for street use.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™
The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 PM
beachfrontvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ceramics I put on the z51 are worth it. Before with the originals, those chrome gumbys would get a brake dusting and lose the shine in just about 2 days after washing. Have gone about a week now without a wash and the gumbys are still shining! IMO they are superior for street use and daily driving. Car seems to brake better too, with more feel in the pedal.

Further info, I asked the service rep why there was about 4 more miles on the od after the last service, and he said they "broke in" the new ceramics.

They put on the delcos and they are just fine.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 AM
TMyers
Race Director

I just spoke with Brakemotive, a forum dealer. They recommended power stop, evolution ceramic brake pads. Has anyone used these before. I want to drastically reduce the brake dust, but want just as good if not better performance then OEM's. I dont race my car but do drive a lot during the season.If not these what else would you recommend ? Thanks. I have a 2010 Grand Sport. Now brakemotive says they don't make them yet for Z06/Grandsport. So do I go with carbotech (rather expensive) or how are the hawks ? I think I am ordering the hawk performance ceramic brakes/ The carbotech are very expensive.
Agreed that the carbotech are on the upper end of the cost scale. But considering there are no revits they have a long usable life span than the compitition.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
No kidding, sounds like these guys are worse than street racers.
I was only responding to what the OP originally said before he edited his original post.....which you can see in post #13 that I quoted.

For people who don't abuse their brakes on the streets,the ceramics are a great alternative.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by redzone
I was only responding to what the OP originally said before he edited his original post.....which you can see in post #13 that I quoted.

For people who don't abuse their brakes on the streets,the ceramics are a great alternative.
Wasn't talking about you, you must be confused.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I changed mine two months ago and replaced the OEM brake fluid with SuperBlue DOT4 Racing Fluid and I'm surprised how good the HAWK's feel and perform. After bedding them I find they are more linear than the OEM pads. Of course they are not high performance track pads, but for street use they are quiet, powerful, sily smooth, noise free and most importantly they cut the dust significantly.

Well worth the $240 I spent.

Tom
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
shelleygraham
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMyers
Agreed that the carbotech are on the upper end of the cost scale. But considering there are no revits they have a long usable life span than the compitition.
Well I changed my mind and ordered the carbotech bobcat 1521 and 2 liter cans of super blue dot 4 racing fluid from Adam.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Well I changed my mind and ordered the carbotech bobcat 1521 and 2 liter cans of super blue dot 4 racing fluid from Adam.
I appreciate your order, thank you
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

For the track, I've used Hawk DTC 70 and 60 for my Z06, and they are great.

But I'm currently using Carbotech XP 12 and 10, and I find them to be a very good track pad!!

Like carbotech adam said, ALL their pads are ceramic based compounds. He also mentioned "corrosive dust" from some of the other manufacturer's pads that have metallic content in them, and that has been known to actually get embedded into the paint on the sides of the car and give a rusty color to the paint - but that generally only happens to track cars that get that dust REALLY HOT!!

FYI, here's an email from the "Eventmaster" for the National Corvette Museum HPDE that will be held at VIR the end of June:

This is primarily for first timers but a good reminder.

1. unless you have a ZR1 or brakes from one, no ceramic pads at the track. Those ceramic pads you buy for low dust are NOT suitable for track use.

2. If your pads aren't new we suggest you bring an extra set. It's not hard to change at the track and there is plenty of help so you don't want to miss out because your brakes are worn out.

3. You must bed new pads before coming to the track. This includes new corvettes with low mileage. Call or email mr if you have questions.

4. If you are coming with a ZR1 that has not been tracked contact me now. We will arrange for pad bedding at the track. These pads cannot be bedded on public roads.

So....your ceramic pads should work just fine on the street, but any time you put in new pads, make sure you bed them properly to transfer a layer of pad material onto the rotor.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but I think there may be a very few slots left for Green Group (novice track drivers) for the HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) June 27-28.

If you're interested in running your car on the track and letting the beast loose in a way you'll never be able to do on the street, come on out and join a couple hundred other Corvettes and have a great time meeting a bunch of other Forum members and learning how to make your car fast on the track - and it may even make you safer on the street!!

For more info, click the link below:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist.../virinfo.shtml

Below are a couple videos from past events. You can see VIR is a fantastic track (sorry about the lousy sound in the first one)!!!

Bob

Quick Reply: Switched to ceramic brakes...thumbs up!