C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto lock???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Get a spare key. Keep it in your wallet or hide it under the car.

Then if you're locked out, use the key to open the hatch. Then open the drivers door with the manual pull-tab (there's no need to crawl thru the hatch).

Use key blank B-106 -- same as for a Saturn car, widely available. Costs about $6 at most places that make car keys.

BTW, there's a "dead zone" in the hatch area... if you leave your fob there, the car will not recognize it. Happens all the time.
This is really the best way, even if you really hide the key, needing to crawl under the car, getting dirty for it. Least you know its there, is better than being stranded. Another thought. I keep my car fobs seperate from the keyring to keep bulk down, and much easier when switching between cars.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Ok, so I am a new C6 owner and all I know is in order to open the driver door I need to have the FOB somewhere close to it. Is this not good enough? Can someone get into my car without the FOB? Maybe there is a setting where you don't need the FOB? I never hit the lock or unlock button on the FOB as I don't see the need. You can't open the door without it. Confused.....
Like any other car, if the C6 is unlocked, you do not need a key or fob to open the door. The 'setting' where you don't need the fob is 'unlocked'.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Like any other car, if the C6 is unlocked, you do not need a key or fob to open the door. The 'setting' where you don't need the fob is 'unlocked'.
Mine must be on auto-lock then. I don't lock or unlock the door. It locks when I close it and won't unlock until I get the FOB close. I don't use the FOB buttons.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why people are having so many problems. I put the fob in my pocket in the morning and take it out at night. The DIC is set to autolock and is audible. When I walk away from the car, I listen for the horn to sound to confirm its locked. If I don't hear the horn then I lock it with the fob and keep going. When I walk up to the car I grab the door, get in and go. I think some of you are making this more difficult then it has to be.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Mine must be on auto-lock then. I don't lock or unlock the door. It locks when I close it and won't unlock until I get the FOB close. I don't use the FOB buttons.
No matter which way it is set, there is never a need to use the fob buttons. I do not have the autolock set because I want my car unlocked most of the time, and certainly when it is in my garage. When I want to lock the car, I do what I have done with every car I have ever owned...as I am getting out of the car, I push the down side of the door lock button on the door. I glance at the instrument panel and look for the "lock" symbol to be illuminated, just to make sure I hit the button correctly. I never pull the fob out of my pocket and I never push a button on the fob...in fact, I would like to see them make an even smaller, or thinner fob that had no buttons on it at all.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by blue devil 1
Need help or information! Twice in two weeks I have left my key fob in my 2011 GS Vert and the car has locked itself. Sure, I know I can call On-Star and they will unlock the car. Sure I know I can get the other fob. Just trying to figure out whats going on?
Do you leave the fob in the same place everytime? When I park the car in the garage, I always leave the fob in it. It never locks when I leave it in the cupholder, but one time I did leave it on the console cover and it locked on me. The window was down, so it didn't matter much.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No matter which way it is set, there is never a need to use the fob buttons. I do not have the autolock set because I want my car unlocked most of the time, and certainly when it is in my garage. When I want to lock the car, I do what I have done with every car I have ever owned...as I am getting out of the car, I push the down side of the door lock button on the door. I glance at the instrument panel and look for the "lock" symbol to be illuminated, just to make sure I hit the button correctly. I never pull the fob out of my pocket and I never push a button on the fob...in fact, I would like to see them make an even smaller, or thinner fob that had no buttons on it at all.
I am so addicted to the FOB locking and unlocking my cars over the years. I think I will turn off the auto-lock feature. I like to HEAR the doors lock and unlock using the FOB.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure the solution is not "keep the FOB in your pocket". Since the behavior of the OP's car is not by design, there must be an issue. I would start by getting a new battery for the FOB or try using the other FOB and see if you still have problems.

Mine is set to auto-lock and I keep the FOB in the car while at home in the garage - it has never locked on me and is not supposed to if the FOB is in the car. I keep mine in the cup holder. Granted, as said before there are blind spots (trunk area) in the car that introduce the risk of locking the FOB in the car. But contrary to what some have said or given the impression it's not by design.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I am so addicted to the FOB locking and unlocking my cars over the years. I think I will turn off the auto-lock feature. I like to HEAR the doors lock and unlock using the FOB.
That makes sense. I think the autolock is a feature that is begging for trouble...even if it is at a valet park or a dealer...at some point it will be trouble....and needless trouble at that. It just is not that difficult to remember to lock the car.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And on a completely different note -

Has anyone - while keeping the FOB in their pocket - had
the instance of the horn alarm going off from sitting on the FOB?
If so how to shut it off? I have had this happen twice and fiddling
with the FOB didn't stop the horn - I had to open the door of the car.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And a question -

Has anyone considered getting a chip implant
replacement for their FOB?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by choprfgr
And on a completely different note -

Has anyone - while keeping the FOB in their pocket - had
the instance of the horn alarm going off from sitting on the FOB?
If so how to shut it off? I have had this happen twice and fiddling
with the FOB didn't stop the horn - I had to open the door of the car.
Pushing the panic button a second time (after the accidental first push) will stop the horn.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by choprfgr
And a question -

Has anyone considered getting a chip implant
replacement for their FOB?
I guess I did ask for a smaller fob with no buttons....maybe not that small though...
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That makes sense. I think the autolock is a feature that is begging for trouble...even if it is at a valet park or a dealer...at some point it will be trouble....and needless trouble at that. It just is not that difficult to remember to lock the car.
Looks like there is no way to turn Auto-lock off. The FOB is the key. Not sure why there is a Lock and Unlock button. You walk away, the car locks. You come close, the car unlocks. What's the point of the FOB buttons?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Looks like there is no way to turn Auto-lock off. The FOB is the key. Not sure why there is a Lock and Unlock button. You walk away, the car locks. You come close, the car unlocks. What's the point of the FOB buttons?

No, you touch the door pad with your fingers and the car unlocks and opens the door.

Use your DIC to turn off autolock if you like. Then you can manually lock the car by pressing the lock button on exit OR you can lock the car with the FOB button after you get out of the car and close the door.

Elmer
Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
No, you touch the door pad with your fingers and the car unlocks and opens the door.

Use your DIC to turn off autolock if you like. Then you can manually lock the car by pressing the lock button on exit OR you can lock the car with the FOB button after you get out of the car and close the door.

Elmer
There is no DIC to turn autolock off, only Auto-unlock. Unless I am missing something?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Go to your DIC and turn off outo lock option.
Wow, nasty in here today.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto lock???

Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

There is no DIC to turn autolock off, only Auto-unlock. Unless I am missing something?
Do you have a DIC on your car? The owner's manual will give information on on/off of autolock.

Passive Door Locking: This option allows you to
select whether the doors automatically lock
during normal vehicle exit. When the ignition is
turned off and all doors become closed, the vehicle
will determine how many keyless access
transmitters remain in the vehicle interior. If at
least one keyless access transmitter has
been removed from the interior of the vehicle, the
doors will lock after eight seconds.
For example, if there are two keyless access
transmitters in the vehicle and one is removed, the
other will be locked in. The keyless access
transmitter locked in the vehicle can still be used
to start the vehicle or unlock the doors, if
needed. A person approaching the outside of the
locked vehicle without an authorized keyless
access transmitter, however, will not be able to
open the door, even with a transmitter in the
vehicle.
You may temporarily disable the passive door
locking feature by pressing the door unlock switch
for three seconds on an open door. Passive
door locking will then remain disabled until a door
lock switch is pressed or until the power mode
transitions from the off power mode.
Press the OPTION button until PASSIVE DOOR
LOCKING appears on the display, then press
the RESET button to scroll through the following
modes:
• OFF (default)
• SILENT
• HORN
If you choose OFF, this option will turn off.
If you choose SILENT, the doors will automatically
lock eight seconds after you turn the ignition off,
remove a keyless access transmitter from the
interior of the vehicle, and close both doors.
If you choose HORN, the doors will automatically
lock and the horn will chirp eight seconds after
you turn the ignition off, remove a keyless access
transmitter from the interior of the vehicle, and
close both doors.
If you are parking in a quiet area and do not want
the horn to sound when the doors lock, press
the lock button on the keyless access transmitter
immediately after removing it from the interior
and closing the doors. This will lock the doors and
cancel the passive locking for this ignition cycle.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 08-08-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
blue devil 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Evil Monkey! That was my point. I leave the fob in the console drink holder all the time. Some times the car locks and some time (mostly) it does not lock. Yes, it is the only fob in the car. The other one is inside the house. Now I will make a comment that is sure to offend some one. Some of you need to realize that our Vettes, weather they be base model or ZR1 are just cars. All be it, great ones, just cars, material objects, stuff. Things which can be bought and sold at will. We are not talking about some one's health or another human being! No car in the world is worth the the value of one's health or well being. LIGHTEN UP!! THEY ARE JUST TOYS AND SHOULD BE THOUGHT OF AND TREATED AS SUCH!

Just my opinion to which I am entitled.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine is set to off but with the key FOB in my pocket, the door will unlock without pressing unlock on the key FOB.

Quick Reply: Auto lock???