C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto lock???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
blue devil 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto lock???

Need help or information! Twice in two weeks I have left my key fob in my 2011 GS Vert and the car has locked itself. Sure, I know I can call On-Star and they will unlock the car. Sure I know I can get the other fob. Just trying to figure out whats going on?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blue devil 1
Need help or information! Twice in two weeks I have left my key fob in my 2011 GS Vert and the car has locked itself. Sure, I know I can call On-Star and they will unlock the car. Sure I know I can get the other fob. Just trying to figure out whats going on?
You need to start wearing pants while in your car. Not only will you have pockets, but in some states it's the law.

What's going on is, you're leaving the FOB in the car and it's going to lock you out every time. Don't do that!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
blue devil 1
Racer

I appreciate your creative suggestions. But, you know, here in Florida, it does get quite warm and it really is more comfortable to drive without. I like your humor but (I know someone will correct me if I am wrong) the car is not supposed to lock while the fob is in it.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

You can define what the car does/doesn't do with DIC programming, but would think it's odd the car would lock with the FOB inside without the obligatory 3 beep alert.

I'd suggest reading through the manual step by step to check your settings . . .

Good luck-

Last edited by CQRT; 08-08-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: JimTN- you're right- user defined 3 beeps- sorry !
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

I appreciate your creative suggestions. But, you know, here in Florida, it does get quite warm and it really is more comfortable to drive without. I like your humor but (I know someone will correct me if I am wrong) the car is not supposed to lock while the fob is in it.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-the-car.html

It can, and WILL lock with the fob inside.

You can turn off the auto lock and just make sure you remember to manually lock/unlock the doors with the FOB.

And, more creative suggestions: It's not 1984, Bruce Springsteen isn't the Boss anymore and skin tight 501's are no longer cool for anyone over 14. The fobs are small, put it in your pocket. So you leave your wallet with ID and credit cards in your convertible too?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM
blue devil 1
Racer

Here we go again destroying a real post! Lets just say for instance that you leave your car with a valet or you go to a car wash. Traditionally you leave the fob with the car.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

the car is not supposed to lock while the fob is in it.
No, not exactly. It's only supposed to lock a fob in the car if at least one fob has left the car.

Originally Posted by CQRT
but would think it's odd the car would lock with the FOB inside without the obligatory 3 beep alert.

I'd suggest reading through the manual step by step to check your settings . . .

Good luck-
I think you need to reread the manual. The warning beep about a fob left in the car must be programmed via the DIC. It's not a warning that comes already set when the car is new.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 08-08-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM
blue devil 1
Racer

I am aware of the programming options thru the Dic. The question is... it only happens some time, not always. WHY??? I am not a fool. It didn't happen on my Ron Fellows Z and it didn't happen on my ZR1. Why on this one

Last edited by blue devil 1; 08-08-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

I am aware of the programming options thru the Dic. The question is... it only happens some time, not always. WHY??? I am not a fool. It didn't happen on my Ron Fellows Z and it didn't happen on my ZR1. Why on this one
Read the thread I linked you before.

There are areas and instances where the car and fob(s) can't communicate, just like dead zones for cell phones... Can you hear me now?

To be sure, if you want to leave $60k ready to drive away with the fob in the car, set it to manual lock and unlock.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a spare key. Keep it in your wallet or hide it under the car.

Then if you're locked out, use the key to open the hatch. Then open the drivers door with the manual pull-tab (there's no need to crawl thru the hatch).

Use key blank B-106 -- same as for a Saturn car, widely available. Costs about $6 at most places that make car keys.

BTW, there's a "dead zone" in the hatch area... if you leave your fob there, the car will not recognize it. Happens all the time.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Here we go again destroying a real post! Lets just say for instance that you leave your car with a valet or you go to a car wash. Traditionally you leave the fob with the car.
I limit the time my car is out of my control and when I do have to leave the car I keep the key on my person. You never know what a mechanic or other person is going to do with fob.

First thing I did with both my Museum delivery 05 Vert and now my 07 Z06 is disable that lock feature. The only time I lock my car is with the fob. I press the button and return the fob to my pocket

Always keep the fob in your pocket and if do to circumstances you cannot, never surrender the key. In your pocket means just that, not in your golf/gym bag ,luggage or jacket you throw in the back.

Way too many post/threads on here because people do dumb things!

Think of Murphy ’s Law
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Please look at my previous post a little more carefully. I wasn't responding to you with the comment about programming through the DIC. There's an obvious reason why a quote of CQRT's appears right above my words - I was responding to him.

As others have indicated, it's possible that it doesn't do it all the time because the fob was left laying in an area of the car where the detecting antenna just doesn't detect it. That may be because the antenna is defective. There are 4 antennas in the car to detect fobs.

There may also be other strong electronic signals from other sources near where you normally park your car.

My suggestion is to turn off the auto locking and lock it with your fob if it continues to happen.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Why not just turn off the autolock...?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it. If you keep the FOB in your pocket (glad to see me? LOL)
and you enable auto-lock - then you can't get in unless you take the FOB
out of your pocket and push the unlock button? Disregarding the post about
the antenna shouldn't the FOB keep the car unlocked when it is inside the car?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by choprfgr
I don't get it. If you keep the FOB in your pocket (glad to see me? LOL)
and you enable auto-lock - then you can't get in unless you take the FOB
out of your pocket and push the unlock button? Disregarding the post about
the antenna shouldn't the FOB keep the car unlocked when it is inside the car?
If it is set to autolock, it will autolock. If the DIC is set properly, the horn will beep 3 times to warn you that there is a FOB inside and I'm gonna lock that focker in here unless you do something!

If autolocked, the fob in your pocket will get you in as soon as you press your fingers on the door pad.

Elmer
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, so I am a new C6 owner and all I know is in order to open the driver door I need to have the FOB somewhere close to it. Is this not good enough? Can someone get into my car without the FOB? Maybe there is a setting where you don't need the FOB? I never hit the lock or unlock button on the FOB as I don't see the need. You can't open the door without it. Confused.....
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You've gotten all the right answers. Any of them will solve your problems very easily.

1. Keep your fob in your pocket, no reason to ever leave it in the car.
2. Turn off auto lock.
3. Carry a spare physical key in your wallet.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto lock???

Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, we have to leave the fob in our pockets, I never, never leave my Corvette with a valet and never use a car wash unless it's a touch free with sensors and no floor plates or bars. Good luck with the fob.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Ok, so I am a new C6 owner and all I know is in order to open the driver door I need to have the FOB somewhere close to it. Is this not good enough? Can someone get into my car without the FOB? Maybe there is a setting where you don't need the FOB? I never hit the lock or unlock button on the FOB as I don't see the need. You can't open the door without it. Confused.....

You will see the need to manually do lock- unlock operation when you somehow lock you fob in the car.

Read your O.M. and disable that auto lock feature. YEs if door is locked just standing by the doors will unlock car if fob is in your pocket.

Without a doubt the safest method is to get out of car (if your DIC is set right) and physically lock the car by pushing the lock button on fob and then put fob deep in your pocket!. No way will you then join the large amount of people that over the years have started threads. Sob Sob I locked my keys in car what do I do now, Sob Sob. Do a search there have been way too many of these threads on here
Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kensmith
FOB needs to be close to the door to get it.

No one can get in the locked car without the correct FOB.

There is NO need to touch your FOB to gain access to your car.

Elmer

Quick Reply: Auto lock???