C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Starting problem - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
do you use a battery tender ?

you really should, given that you have said you do not drive it often, and then mostly on short trips...

the original battery is now almost 2.5 yrs old, or slightly more...

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
What's a battery tender?

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
go down to Auto Zone and have the battery checked step #1

Rich, you can also buy a battery tender at Autozone. I use a Battery Tender Plus; other use a CTEK 3300;
lesser-known brands also available.

Cost is like $60 --$90...also buy the separate cig lighter adapter for about $5--$10 (run the wire out
through the notch in the sill under the car door).

The tender will slowly charge your already healthy battery to full-strength, and then maintain the same
on a "floating basis." If your original battery has been depleted, it will never be the same, and should be
replaced regardless.

Gary
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to give you nightmares, but check out my thread about a gm buyback.My 2011 with 2,700 miles is having the same problem you describe, not sure if its the same but from what your saying its sounds similar. There last attempt to fix mine was to shorten the bolts that connect the starter to the engine. This was after they called GM FACTORY TECH LINE. so far this has fixed my problem at least for the last 2 days. I will know more on monday.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KABAL182
Not to give you nightmares, but check out my thread about a gm buyback.My 2011 with 2,700 miles is having the same problem you describe, not sure if its the same but from what your saying its sounds similar. There last attempt to fix mine was to shorten the bolts that connect the starter to the engine. This was after they called GM FACTORY TECH LINE. so far this has fixed my problem at least for the last 2 days. I will know more on monday.
My car has never not started but it does sound a little similiar. I too though am fed up with the dealer by my house. I've left the car there twice now for them to run it, drive it around, and then re start it to hear the sound. They have claimed that they cannot get it to repeat the sound I get. I find it very hard to believe as both times when I picked the car up, I got the starter hesitation immediately when after I got home. I have been going to a dealer 5 min from my house, but I actually bought the car in Jersey. I am going to bring it back to the dealer by my house 1 more time and if no satifaction, bring it to jersey. Honestly, sometimes a feel like some of these places are very lazy and don't want to do the work. Like I said, I find it extremely difficult to believe that these guys couldn't hear the sound when they started it over a weeks time period when they had the car. Very frustrating after a while. The guy even said to me I'm going to take the car out and run some errands with it during my lunch break to warm it up. Nothing like taking someone elses corvette on a lunch break to run errands. Really wasn't too happy about that, but I kept quiet. They better do something this time around.

Last edited by Richie Fazio; 11-13-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Rich,

you might want to consider bringing the car to Corvettes of Westchester (COW), a supporting vendor here on the CF.
Located about an hour's drive (or less) north of you in Ossining.

He's not a dealer but he knows Corvettes, based on many comments throughout the forum. He at least ought to be able to correctly diagnose the problem and help guide you as to the next steps. I do not know if he can be authorized by GM for warranty work.

I still think the issue could very well be a depleted battery and old fuel, based on your driving pattern. Still suggest a new battery, a 20-oz. bottle of Techron, a 93 octane top-tier fuel fill-up, and drive the car for 75 or 100 mi's on the interstate... then keep it on a tender 24/7 when not in use.

good luck !

Gary
Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Yes I've been there before as they installed my corsa. Actually chuck did hear the noise and he immediately thought fuel problem. Thanks for the support and advice everyone.

Rich,

you might want to consider bringing the car to Corvettes of Westchester (COW), a supporting vendor here on the CF.

He's not a dealer but he knows Corvettes, based on many comments throughout the forum. He at least ought to be able to correctly diagnose the problem and help guide you as to the next steps. I do not know if he can be authorized by GM for warranty work.

I still think the issue could very well be a depleted battery and old fuel, based on your driving pattern. Still suggest a new battery, a 20-oz. bottle of Techron, a 93 octane top-tier fuel fill-up, and drive the car for 75 or 100 mi's on the interstate... then keep it on a tender 24/7 when not in use.

good luck !

Gary
Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Give me a call.....

Rich,

good luck !

Gary

Give me a ring and we'll see what we can do for you...

You're only 20 mins from me....

Chuck CoW
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Give me a ring and we'll see what we can do for you...

You're only 20 mins from me....

Chuck CoW
Chuck. It's Rich - you guys did my Corsa exhaust for me a couple months back - we had that problem with the bad muffler and the whistling noise. I think we spoke about this problem with the starter when I was in the shop the last time. Let me give Chevy another try as my car is still under warranty. I'll give you a call if I have no luck. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I still don't see the answer to mpuzach's question in post #14 and again in post #20.

Details could help identify the problem.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by mpuzach
When you get the "hesitation type of noise (jitter, jittter, jitter) before firing up," is the starter motor turning or do you get these noises before the starter actually begins turning? If the symptoms are happening first, then the starter motor starts turning, I agree that the battery could be the problem; otherwise, it sounds more like a fuel delivery issue (vapor lock, perhaps).
Sorry didnt see this post. Normal start up would be push the button - it makes that start up noise and then ka boom you hear the exhaust.

Mine goes - push the button, it makes the start up noise followed by a hesistation jitter, jitter, jitter (almost like it's going to stall out or just not start) - then finally it fires up and you hear the exhaust behind you.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

So I was at Chevy today for over 2 hours to to get them to hear the noise. I finally got it to happen at Chevy so I wanted to share with everyone what they said. They said I have an "extended crank," usually caused by a fuel pressure type of issue. Sounds like it's the same thing that happened to me last year. Has this happened to anyone else? What is causing this problem? Thanks everyone again for the replies.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You finally got it to happen while you were there, meaning it doesn't always happen and is therefore difficult to repeat?

Anyway, extended crank can mean many things, fuel pressure, pump, filter, firing, etc. I've had it happen a few times, usually when the car is warm. Not a big worry, but yours might be.

What did they then say---it is normal? Nothing is amiss? Nothing needs fixing or repairing? Everything is as it should be?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
You finally got it to happen while you were there, meaning it doesn't always happen and is therefore difficult to repeat?

Anyway, extended crank can mean many things, fuel pressure, pump, filter, firing, etc. I've had it happen a few times, usually when the car is warm. Not a big worry, but yours might be.

What did they then say---it is normal? Nothing is amiss? Nothing needs fixing or repairing? Everything is as it should be?

Sounds like a cop out to me. Extended crank is what you took it in for. Sounds like they agreed with you and sent you on your way.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by VET4LES

Sounds like a cop out to me. Extended crank is what you took it in for. Sounds like they agreed with you and sent you on your way.
No the car has been left there now for them to figure out what is wrong. They need to run tests and figure out what the cause if this is. I'm going to make sure this gets fixed correctly.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No the car has been left there now for them to figure out what is wrong. They need to run tests and figure out what the cause if this is. I'm going to make sure this gets fixed correctly.
Good news. Keep us posted.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Richie Fazio,
Which dealership did you take your car to be serviced at?

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

So I was at Chevy today for over 2 hours to to get them to hear the noise. I finally got it to happen at Chevy so I wanted to share with everyone what they said. They said I have an "extended crank," usually caused by a fuel pressure type of issue. Sounds like it's the same thing that happened to me last year. Has this happened to anyone else? What is causing this problem? Thanks everyone again for the replies.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Flat Broke
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the timing checked. If it is doing it when the engine starts turning, but before it starts, it could be off enough for it to try and kick back. When it does this have you ever shut it back off and tried to restart again. Next time it does it shut it down and restart 4 or 5 times. If it starts fine the second through the fifth time that should rule out the temperature having anything to do with it. If it don't start the way it should then the temperature may have something to do with it.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
vintagez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not letting the engine warm up, could unburned fuel deposits not start building up on the plugs, I believe RX7's had a problem if you only ran the vehicle a short time it would have a hard time starting due to plugs fouling over time, just a thought

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Starting problem - please help!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

So the verdict is in. The problem is yet again the fuel pump. It is not holding pressure. Chevy called me today saying they had to order a new one and I should have the car back by Monday. Apparantly there has been a lot of issues with the C6 fuel pumps so Chevy made an upgraded one for the C6 now. Hopefully this new pump will be OK for now on. It's pretty frustrating. Only 4800 miles on my car in over 2 years and 2 fuel pumps down the toilet.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

wow! that has to be a new one. GM sourcing these to fuel pump manufacturers and then having two go out. that IS unusual.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
wow! that has to be a new one. GM sourcing these to fuel pump manufacturers and then having two go out. that IS unusual.
Yea it's kinda redic. I honestly asked the guy straight up if I could be doing something harmful to the car that could be causing these types of issues and he said to me No, that there's nothing I could have done. Like I said only 4800 miles. It's still like brand new. Looks like it's just not a high quality pump. Very frustrating.

Quick Reply: C6 Starting problem - please help!