C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Starting problem - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad they found the problem and it's getting fixed.

But don't ignore your battery. Short trips and lots of sitting are a guaranteed recipe for short battery life.

And when the battery is weak/dying, don't be surprised by some strange problems... doors reluctant to open, "fob not detected", etc.

VERY preventable with a good battery maintainer: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...endations.html

Might also want to make sure your manual key works; that you know where the trunk/hatch pull-tab is to manually open the door; and that you know how to use the glovebox fob slot.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 11-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Glad they found the problem and it's getting fixed.

But don't ignore your battery. Short trips and lots of sitting are a guaranteed recipe for short battery life.

And when the battery is weak/dying, don't be surprised by some strange problems... doors reluctant to open, "fob not detected", etc.

VERY preventable with a good battery maintainer: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...endations.html

Might also want to make sure your manual key works; that you know where the trunk/hatch pull-tab is to manually open the door; and that you know how to use the glovebox fob slot.
all good advice; also glad the problem has been found, Rich...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So I go to pick up my car today with the new pump. I drive it home and park it outside. Come out hr and half later to go run some errands and the same thing happens (even worse now). I drive back to Chevy, with all my service reports. I go see the Manager and explain to him whats happening. He asks me to start it up and he hears the extended cranking noise. Tells me to go home with the car and call back Monday because he wants to speak to the guy who was in charge of my job to get the story. I go home and park it for a little. Come out to start it cause I needed to move it (car is still warm now) and it hesistates so bad that I was afraid it wasn't going to start. Car is worse now then before I brought it in. I call the Manager back and tell him I need to bring it back now because it may not start then if I wait longer. I bring it back in and left it with the Manager and he wants me to call back Monday.

I'm literally sick to my stomach now guys. I either have myself a lemon or these guys just aren't addressing the problem/fixing it correctly. All I know is my Vette spends more time with the Service guys then with me. O and also forgot to mention, there are white residue spots now on my seat that don't come out. O and also, a white line on the front fender (wasn't there before). I'm just sick to my stomach.

Chevy should give me a new Vette. This is crazy...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Richie Fazio,
Which dealership did you take your car to be serviced at?

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Hi Justin,

Is there an additional way I can reach you? I tried sending you a private message but your mailbox is full.

I need to get in touch with you privately about this.

Thank you,

Rich
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd ask Justin a very simple question if you can get through: will you get me authorization to take this to your best diagnostic tech in the area closest to my home---and tell me who that is?

I don't think that's too much to ask. Doing some simple math, while this hasn't really cost you any money out of pocket, time IS money. And if the tech's time/labor rate at the dealer is say, $125/hr. your time is at least that much. How many hours has the car been down, away from you, or worried you at night? How many times and hours have you not trusted it to either get you somewhere, or get you back? Multiply that times even $125/hr. and I bet you get a big enough number to count to someone....like me. And you.

I do know that with another brand, I did ask that same question a couple dozen years ago. They gave me the answer (no, it was not a GM car).

Last edited by AORoads; 12-04-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Richie Fazio,
I apologize for being unreachable. I wasn't here over the weekend and my PM filled. You can send me a message now and we'll get this rolling. As to what AORoads said, I can set you up with one of the best diagnostic techs in New York. Unfortunately, they are both on Long Island which is nearly 250 miles from his area. I'm not sure if you're willing and able to drive that far but I'd be willing to bet if anyone can diagnose the problem in the great state of New York it would be Arnold Chevrolet or Smithtown Chevrolet in Long Island. Send me a PM and we can go from there.

Justin
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Justin,

thanks for responding to Richie's request.

Many of us have been trying to offer suggestions/assistance.

f y i, he's in Scarsdale, NY which is near Long Island.

Gary
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Justin - get this guy fixed up. This is crazy.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

All,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in the forum who has been trying to help. I really appreciate it. I will keep you all posted.

- Rich
Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
JLI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know, i too had this problem but it was on my 08. Took delivery at the museum. Had it home for a week and it started acting the same way yours is. Had to take it in to my local dealer and the fuel pump was my issue. They dropped the fuel tank, replaced, and i havent had the issue since. I know how bad it sucks to have this problem but they really should be able to get it fixed. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich, I hope this is resolved quickly.

- Larry
Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

After a certain number of times, it's a Lemon Law car. Done and done. Google New York Lemon Law...lots of info on all the particulars. It looks like New York even has a Lemon Law for used cars...

Fact sheet from the attorney general:

http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureaus/consume...factsheet.html

Last edited by cclive; 12-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Richie Fazio,
Which dealership did you take your car to be serviced at?

Justin
Most likely Curry Chevrolet on Central Ave

Smithtown is about 100 miles away.....edit....even less, about 55 miles

Last edited by ladder13; 12-07-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Ed32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. I also own an '09, I have around 8,500 miles on it. So far the car has been bulletproof. I think your problem is a combination of unusual driving habits in cold weather and total incompetence from your dealer. Take it to somebody who only works with Corvettes, I think they will reimburse you if you get it fixed at a non GM dealer. That's what they told me when I had problems with my run flat, since they couldn't work with them. Good luck
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Same problem

I went to get coffee and I had no problem starting my car.Got my coffee and entered my car to find out my car wouldn't start,My friend came and we jump strtede my car and went to the dealer.Sure enough,I needed a new battery.No more problems. Sir I would bet you need a new battery also.Rod
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

So here is the verdict from today. They ordered another fuel pump as well as the supplementary "tubes" and valves that I am assuming connect all this stuff. Again, I'm not that fuel pump savy as everyone else. Should get there by Friday. Hopefully 3rd time will be a charm. Thanks again for the posts and help everyone. Much appreciated and I will keep everyone posted.

On another note, I was really glad that I installed the Corsa Sport exhaust back in October. It sounded really mean. Well at least I think it did? It's kind of tough to remember since I haven't heard it in so long...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock tune in your Vette?
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Starting problem - please help!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
..sure enough,I needed a new battery.No more problems. Sir I would bet you need a new battery also.Rod
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by Justasheet
Stock tune in your Vette?
Jeff
All stock except for a Corsa exhaust.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave Carney
If the battery was dead I think the car wouldn't start at all right? They checked my battery and it's charged.

Quick Reply: C6 Starting problem - please help!