C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Starting problem - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default C6 Starting problem - please help!

So I've mentioned this problem before and I still don't know whats going on. I have a 2009 C6 with 4800 miles on it. It's obviously not a daily driver as I've had it since July 2009. Anyways, sometimes I have a problem with my car starting up. For example, today I started it this morning, with no issues. Drove it around to run some errands. Parked it, started it up again, repeated a few times. It was warmed up fully at this time. Once I got home, I parked the car and let it sit for a while - about an hr or so. The next time I started it up, it made a hesitation type of noise (jitter, jittter, jitter) before firing up. The car was only about 20% warm at this time as it had been sitting for a while now. Took it out again for a little and parked it again real quick. Started it up then with no problem or hesistation. Then drove to the gym. Came out of the gym about an hr half later and started it up. This time it hesistated again before firing up - again only about 15-20% warmed up now.

Seems as though the pattern for this problem happens after I have driven it for a while and it sits for about an hr or so, the next time I start it.

This issue has become very frustrating to me. I've taken it to Chevy twice already, but they couldn't get the jitter noise to repeat - so they haven't found any issue. Could the battery be not fully charged from not driving the car enough? I've had my fuel pump replaced last year for the same type of issue, but it was constantly making this hesistation. Could it be another fuel pump issue?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going nuts with this thing now. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:14 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's the original battery I'd replace it. The C6 is very hard on batteries. It sounds like your driving habit is short trips which is hard on any battery. When you replace it, make sure it's at full charge when you install it. New batteries can sit on the shelf for many months.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by VET4LES
If it's the original battery I'd replace it. The C6 is very hard on batteries. It sounds like your driving habit is short trips which is hard on any battery. When you replace it, make sure it's at full charge when you install it. New batteries can sit on the shelf for many months.
Yes it is the original battery and yes mostly short trips all the time. Back and forth to the gym, quick errands etc. May I ask why short trips cause this?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Fuel pump?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Battery is usually the first suspect with these cars and probably wouldn't hurt to put in a new one. As Les said, sounds like you do many short trips and unless you drive in a lower gear a lot it's possible you really aren't charging the battery enough when you drive.

However, your description does make me think of a fuel delivery issue. Yes, could be the fuel pump again. Is there any way you can arrange to take the car in, warmed up to the level you've described, then stay there for an hour to hour and a half and then show them what happens when you start it under your partly warm scenario? Just thinking out loud. Let us know what happens.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM
FiberGlassKid
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How's the air filters?

Check the air filters. Does it hesitate when you apply the gas? Mine did, and the air filters were black with soot. I replaced them with K&N.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
Yes it is the original battery and yes mostly short trips all the time. Back and forth to the gym, quick errands etc. May I ask why short trips cause this?
Short drives are harder on batteries because the car is not run long enough to keep the battery recharged. It's just a greater amount of drag from starting over and over.
Try to take it on a longer drive. At least 50 miles or so. But sometimes these original batteries do just go out after a couple of years. I like an Optima for replacement.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

do you use a battery tender ?

you really should, given that you have said you do not drive it often, and then mostly on short trips...

the original battery is now almost 2.5 yrs old, or slightly more...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I didn't wait enough for the car to cool down the last time at Chevy for them to hear it. Sounds like I will have to try to bring it to them warmed, wait an hr and then try to get the noise. Not sure if it hesistates when I apply gas.

As I mentioned I get the hesistation the next time it starts up after sitting a while and its cooling down. If it was a fuel pump problem, wouldn't it happen all the time, like the first time I start it up or no? I don't understand why it happens once it begins to cool down?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
do you use a battery tender ?

you really should, given that you have said you do not drive it often, and then mostly on short trips...

the original battery is now almost 2.5 yrs old, or slightly more...
What's a battery tender?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds to me like you have a bad ground or a wire loose somewhere. But before you start buying anything- take it to the dealer and let them take care of it. It is still under warranty isn't it? And I wouldn't change the battery unless you have it checked out for sure. The car should have a 6 year battery in it and it should still be under warranty too, correct? So, you don't want to start replacing everything and find out you just wasted your money. Let the dealer fix it........
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

go down to Auto Zone and have the battery checked step #1
Old 11-12-2011, 10:46 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default get a new..

BATTERY.. the short trips you take is not charging it enough and every time you start it up.. you're draining it a little.

Put a new battery in and keep the car on a battery tender... PROBLEM SOLVED..

The clicking you hear is the starter trying to kick the car over.

BATTERY!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

When you get the "hesitation type of noise (jitter, jittter, jitter) before firing up," is the starter motor turning or do you get these noises before the starter actually begins turning? If the symptoms are happening first, then the starter motor starts turning, I agree that the battery could be the problem; otherwise, it sounds more like a fuel delivery issue (vapor lock, perhaps).
Old 11-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

check the voltage before you start it next time - should be at least 11.8 volts otherwise there is a problem in your battery
Old 11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
Originally Posted by arcticblast
Short drives are harder on batteries because the car is not run long enough to keep the battery recharged. It's just a greater amount of drag from starting over and over.
Try to take it on a longer drive. At least 50 miles or so. But sometimes these original batteries do just go out after a couple of years. I like an Optima for replacement.
Originally Posted by azcanuk
BATTERY.. the short trips you take is not charging it enough and every time you start it up.. you're draining it a little.

Put a new battery in and keep the car on a battery tender... PROBLEM SOLVED..

The clicking you hear is the starter trying to kick the car over.

BATTERY!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Before you take the time and trouble to get a new battery consider getting a new battery tender and see if that makes a difference. I noticed you are in New York State so with the winter approaching you probably will be driving it less anyway. The dealer has documented your problem and you are still under warranty so if it keeps happening bring it to them again.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Starting problem - please help!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Before you take the time and trouble to get a new battery consider getting a new battery tender and see if that makes a difference. I noticed you are in New York State so with the winter approaching you probably will be driving it less anyway. The dealer has documented your problem and you are still under warranty so if it keeps happening bring it to them again.
Yes I will be driving it even less, if that's possible. I took it to the dealer today to show them the problem and their Corvette mechanic wasn't in, so I couldn't show them. Unreal. It keeps happening when I start it up after it has been cooling down and the car is about 20% still warmed (so it's been sitting for almost 45 min to hr after it has been warmed up and driver). It's just really an odd thing. Yes the warranty isn't up till July 2012. If it was a fuel problem, wouldn't it occur more often?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine goes on a battery tender whenever it's going to sit for more than a couple of days.It's an OEM that's almost six years old and still going strong. These cars wll normally draw current even when parked, and as mentioned, short trips will only compound the problem. Buy yourself a battery tender (they aren't very expensive) and keep your battery fully charged. Once you know your battery is carrying a full charge, if you still have the same problem you will know it's something else.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

OK, let me try asking again:
Originally Posted by mpuzach
When you get the "hesitation type of noise (jitter, jittter, jitter) before firing up," is the starter motor turning or do you get these noises before the starter actually begins turning? If the symptoms are happening first, then the starter motor starts turning, I agree that the battery could be the problem; otherwise, it sounds more like a fuel delivery issue (vapor lock, perhaps).

Quick Reply: C6 Starting problem - please help!