C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros & cons of used

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Replace those prices with $25K and $31K and you would have some reasonable prices.
I don't know where his location is, but there's no way in the world he can buy a 2008 for 25K or 31K around here........ You're talking more like 2005 prices.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pro - someone else has paid the "new car" mark-up.....normally.
I have always bought used. However, the market right now is terrible for buying a car, new or used. New cars are demanding higher prices due to raw material costs and demand. Used car prices are up due to the supply being down. This has bred a situation that the "spread" between buying new and used makes it more of a value to buy new. Better incentives and interest rates, plus you get a new car.
I'm not buying now. I wait until everyone else is going downstream to go up.
Ex. In Jan. 2009, at the height of $4/gal. gas, when they couldn't give SUV's away, I bought my 2006 Hummer H3 used. 11k miles, fully loaded for $21k. Was $38 new.
In August 2010, bought my 07 Vette, 18k miles, 3LT, Z51 with $4200 in goodies, including a brand new set of Mich PS2's for $31k.
Currently, both vehicles are worth at least what I paid for them.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis
I don't know where his location is, but there's no way in the world he can buy a 2008 for 25K or 31K around here........ You're talking more like 2005 prices.

You can't compare 1LT& 2LT cars to 3LT cars with other options. This forum is the worst place to ask about prices when buying a Corvette. Most will tell you the price is to high except when they are selling or trading then the price isn't high enough!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM
2putt123
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in Michigan and have searched alot of websites....KBB, edmunds, carmax, corvette world, vettenet, H & H, just to name a few. Based on what I am seeing, with the 3 LT options, chrome, Nav, 33-35K is a fair price. JSB's are hard to find.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by brettbolt
I was picky about the options/color and was able to find what I wanted from CarMax. You can do a nationwide search and have them deliver the car to your local CarMax.

Their prices seem close to what private sellers are asking.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvette ED

You can't compare 1LT& 2LT cars to 3LT cars with other options. This forum is the worst place to ask about prices when buying a Corvette. Most will tell you the price is to high except when they are selling or trading then the price isn't high enough!!!
I sat for six to eight weeks looking/writing down car prices from places like Autotrader.com, yahoo and cars.com through August, September and October. So, I can pretty much figure right now what cars are going for in my three state area. Plus you have to add another $2000.00+ for state tax over the asking price for a car. People forget that. So, when someone is asking $32,500, you had better start thinking $35,000 when you are done.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2putt123
I am in Michigan and have searched alot of websites....KBB, edmunds, carmax, corvette world, vettenet, H & H, just to name a few. Based on what I am seeing, with the 3 LT options, chrome, Nav, 33-35K is a fair price. JSB's are hard to find.
For a 2008 with that mileage? I'd say so, too. Those would be a good price for a 2008 Corvette with no options on it around here.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:53 PM
2putt123
Intermediate

I'm prepared to sit and wait for the right car, thats why I appreciate all the information and advice on here.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

That way you will get the car you really want and not overpay in the process.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by McLendon95
Really depends on whats important to you... Those 19,000 miles, or your 6,000 dollars
Honestly though, if it were me, I'd buy the one for 35k, because 21k miles is not a lot of miles, and a 6 thousand dollar premium wouldn't be worth those 19,000 fewer miles, in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Vel-Yellowc6
Racer

I paid 33900 for a 2008 1lt with 7200 miles, Cam, hd carbon clutch, $5k Forgeline wheels, $1900 Pfadt coilovers, Linginfelter Intake and Z06 exhaust. And a tune by 21st century musclecars. Dealer litterally had no clue what they had on the lot. I felt like i got a great deal.. I wish i never sold it
Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
yeah right, I can't get an 08 with 3lt w/20k miles at the auction for 25k.
Thank you.

3LT '05s are hardly going for that with that kind of mileage. Let alone LS3 cars in a "desired" color.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,252 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Thank you.

3LT '05s are hardly going for that with that kind of mileage. Let alone LS3 cars in a "desired" color.
Here is mine I just traded in.

Attachment 47686214

Last edited by R&L's C6; 01-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
BUCKSFAN
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Replace those prices with $25K and $31K and you would have some reasonable prices.
no way in hell you can buy a 08 as the OP listed for that money. I traded my 08 with 21k on the clock in July and they gave me 34k. show me where these cars for 25k and I will bring a truck and a check and load them up.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Both cars seem over priced IMO. I just paid about 43K for my new 2011 2lt.

Are you looking on auto trader?

That car should be closer to $32K IMHO - but clearly there will be geographic variations.

There are plenty of over-priced cars through dealers that can be used to justify the "but it's really worth $$$$$!" crowd, but those are the cars that have been listed for 3+ months without moving. I see 2006 LT1 cars with 30K or more miles being listed for $31999 - which is completely insane. I also see a few low-mile 2008 and 2009 LT1/LT2 cars in the $31/$32,000 range and they're not moving either.

It's the middle of winter, the economy sucks, and most people are transitioning to "utility" vehicles. However, as others have mentioned, the cash-4-clunkers has driven a lot of used car prices up due to decreased supply - but how many vettes were traded in? It may take another six months, but these prices will normalize significantly lower, IMHO. I say that as a guy who wishes he hadn't just sold his 3LT 2007...

Last edited by Random84; 12-10-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
TarHeelDon
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For comparison....4 months ago I bought my JSB with 29k on the Odie, 3lt package with 2 tone interior and Mild to wild exhaust....my price was 30,500.....this was in Northern Va. ..... A deal I was happy with so you need to decide what makes you happy, but ya definately got the color right!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:35 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some of the price disagreement here is due to regional variations.

My '08 3LT loaded with virtually everything except chrome wheels cost $34K at CarMax in December 2009. I bought it with 29,000 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To pros & cons of used

Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would never buy a used out of warranty vette or any other kind of performance car. I say this, unfortunately, because of personal experience.

These cars are very high tech in many ways esp engine control. Out of warranty can get very expensive if some electronic module quits. Even diagnosing the problem can be expensive. If you do buy a car that has warranty make certain by checking with the dealer against the VIN that the car hasn't been denied warranty coverage in the past due to performance mods.

Never buy a car with performance mods of any kind. Why? First, most people who do performance mods do so to drive the pants off the car. Even if they don't "abuse" it , and a high proportion will, this means accelerated wear. Second, poof....no warranty as soon as a custom tune is detected or something else that's not stock. You lose.

My advice is to buy a less highly optioned NEW C6 and shop for a good price. This will insure, unless you insist on tuning it or voiding the warranty in some other way, that if something breaks it will be covered for YEARS.

Used cars in general are money pits. Used performance cars can be nightmare money pits. And....keep in mind....a car can be beat all to heck mechanically but be kept pristine and flawless in appearance. Don't judge by the appearance how the car was driven. With cars like the C6 assume HARD driving every second the car was running.

Also remember that a really low mile car could have been abused as well. Quarter mile passes add up slowly. High miles generally mean highway cruising was involved. So, high mile cars might actually be better as it indicates the car was actually used for transportation instead of just racing.

Just my $.02 worth. IF you own a car from when it is new then my warning about never owning out of warranty is greatly reduced. This is because you KNOW how you treated the car etc. Now, you have to ask yourself: If you'd driven the heck out of a C6 for years and done a considerable amount of racing etc....what might you want to do just prior to the expiration of the warranty?

Bingo! You might want to unload it because you could reasonably predict that it was soon going to become a money pit as all that hard driving came home to roost. So selling the out of warranty car starts looking pretty good and let the next owner pay for all your fun.

Buy new.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,252 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I would never buy a used out of warranty vette or any other kind of performance car. I say this, unfortunately, because of personal experience.

These cars are very high tech in many ways esp engine control. Out of warranty can get very expensive if some electronic module quits. Even diagnosing the problem can be expensive. If you do buy a car that has warranty make certain by checking with the dealer against the VIN that the car hasn't been denied warranty coverage in the past due to performance mods.

Never buy a car with performance mods of any kind. Why? First, most people who do performance mods do so to drive the pants off the car. Even if they don't "abuse" it , and a high proportion will, this means accelerated wear. Second, poof....no warranty as soon as a custom tune is detected or something else that's not stock. You lose.

My advice is to buy a less highly optioned NEW C6 and shop for a good price. This will insure, unless you insist on tuning it or voiding the warranty in some other way, that if something breaks it will be covered for YEARS.

Used cars in general are money pits. Used performance cars can be nightmare money pits. And....keep in mind....a car can be beat all to heck mechanically but be kept pristine and flawless in appearance. Don't judge by the appearance how the car was driven. With cars like the C6 assume HARD driving every second the car was running.

Also remember that a really low mile car could have been abused as well. Quarter mile passes add up slowly. High miles generally mean highway cruising was involved. So, high mile cars might actually be better as it indicates the car was actually used for transportation instead of just racing.

Just my $.02 worth. IF you own a car from when it is new then my warning about never owning out of warranty is greatly reduced. This is because you KNOW how you treated the car etc. Now, you have to ask yourself: If you'd driven the heck out of a C6 for years and done a considerable amount of racing etc....what might you want to do just prior to the expiration of the warranty?

Bingo! You might want to unload it because you could reasonably predict that it was soon going to become a money pit as all that hard driving came home to roost. So selling the out of warranty car starts looking pretty good and let the next owner pay for all your fun.

Buy new.

I would agree with the generalization that you never know what your getting when buying used but you can still buy a in warranty, low mileage car that is eligible for GMPP. Letting someone else take the depreciation and still have a warranty can be the smart thing to do. Not everyone can afford a new one and a good used one can be a great compromise.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvette ED

Wonder why we want the prices of used Vettes to be low? That will just hurt us when we sell of trade our cars.

I went to trade my 07 for a Z in 08. They only offered me $30k. Kept the 07 and it is still worth $30k now in trade at that!!

Quick Reply: pros & cons of used