C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Younger generation like corvette?
Yes
82.68%
No
17.32%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What do the younger generation think of the corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My nephews are 22 and 19 and are in LOVE with mine, the 22yo's girlfriend think's it's amazing. I was at the car wash on Saturday when a couple of 20-something boys pulled in with their little hopped up rice burner and rolled down the window and was just praising my car up and down.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Stopped in for a quick hot dog a few weeks back and as I got out a dad and his 4 year old son came over. Apparently the kid wanted to check out my car. So I opened the door and invited the boy to hop in and look around. As he got out he turned to his pop and said, "That's a really nice Ferrari dad!"
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Most young guys I know think its an old mans car. Real car guys (even if young) like them and respect them but most I know are more Mustang/F-body kind of guys.

I got my first one when I was 19, my second when I was 28, and my last one this past week and I am now 30.

I am a Corvette guy and always will be. I repsect other cars but from a standpoint of power, handling, stopping, comfort, reliability, and cost..........you cant beat a Corvette.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

My 19yo son loves it and wants to drive it all the time when he's home from college. My 15yo daughter wants to drive it (with dad of course!) because it's an automatic. And my 17yo son thinks it's the best. All three are Corvette fans. I didn't buy my first Corvette until I was 49. I like others, needed cars and vans to carry the kids around in. The Corvette just wasn't practical. Now that the oldest has his own car and my daughter is turning 16 and looking to get her own car and the 17yo getting ready to move out this summer, it was time this Air Force retiree got his dream car. I bought a '99 TR coupe summer of '10 and just recently traded it for a '06 AW coupe. Owning a Corvette has always been my dream, now I'm livin it!!

and keep waving...

MT
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 16 year old is really into cars. I taught him how to drive a manual transmission & he loves driving the Vette when I'm with him. We drive A1A along the beach & he is in heaven. His friends say he's lucky. He has an 11 Camaro that he enters in car shows. He says I can never sell the Vette as it will be his down the road when I'm too old to get into it.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

May be my demographic but I get more of my positive comments,thumbs up from pre 20 year olds. One young boy came up to me a short time ago and asked me if my Corvette was really a ZO6 So I am assuming he really did know the difference. I really think the C6 WB's are bringing the youth back into the fold, probably due to a touch of european styling cues. 30-40 somethings with cash have been brainwashed away from american muscle. In order for the Vette brand to survive it will need to continue to appeal to the young at heart.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
The 20-something crowd I hear from seems to like the Corvette, they just can't afford one yet. And, the Corvette is impractical for many, not exactly a young-family-friendly car. Many young married couples have babies/children and buy minivans or small SUVs. Their sporty cars (if they own one) have a backseat; Camaro, Mustang, WRX, maybe a Mazda or Nissan.
They must not know how cheap the Corvette is then

A used C6 is the same price as their Camaro, Mustang, WRX, etc...
Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
They must not know how cheap the Corvette is then

A used C6 is the same price as their Camaro, Mustang, WRX, etc...
That is true. However, when you throw practicality into the picture those other cars have a backseat where you can put the child seats. Tough to take more than two people in a Vette. Back in the old days when we didn't think about safety belts as much I would cram three kids into the back of my 71 couple and go for a drive. It was a tight fit but they could lay down back there. I knew people who built seats into the rear of their C2 Coupes as there was enough room to fit two seats back there.

I and almost anybody else wouldn't even contemplate doing things like that now so that means a Corvette as a family car is a luxury since it means you have to own two cars at a minimum.

Bill
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 PM
dnkeyhnter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 32, I love my C6Z! Prior to that I had a 99 C5 that I got when I was 25. I used to be really big into mustangs owned 8 of them before the C5. Once in the C5 I never looked back. Thought I was gonna keep it forever until I got the Z... It blew me away and I just had to have it. My dad was never into Vettes until he drove the Z (he's 50 until and works at a chevy dealership) he fell in love with it. Lol
Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 PM
jasmin360
Racer

when i bought my corvette in 2009 i was overjoyed to own what i believed to be a car that matches ferrari performance for half the price of course im always told its a overpriced supercar with a yestertech engine by honda drivers all the time.the funny part is i know a lot about hondas overated tech and very overzealous power to wieght ratio claims. no matter how fast a honda is at the end of the day its a 500 dollar car with 50k in mods just to run with one of our cars stock. its truly a shame when the younger generation thinks a turbo and hondas variable valve timing electronic lift control is gods gift to supercars. if i remember correctly ferrari started in 1947 the corvette in 53 and the porsche 911 in 1964 long before japanese considered a sports car
Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am 22 and I love vettes and so do all my friends... We just not crazy about chrome on corvettes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM
jasmin360
Racer

That's wonderful everyone should drive a Corvette or viper and dare I say it here a Ford gt we live in a great country and we can make great cars if the accountants allow us to
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
lee_mcrae
Instructor

I'm 21 and I love my vette
Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 PM
wiggins82abn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I'm in my early 60s and grew up driving cars like 396 Chevelles and Camaros. Most of my friends had GTOs or Roadrunners. We all learned to drive manual trans by the time we were 15 ( or younger ).

Some observations:

1/ Under 40 guys mostly never learned to drive manual trans. Mommies SUV always had an automatic....many 30-40 like the vette and old muscle cars but grew up on silly little Accords and Civics etc.
2/ Under 30 guys live in a "virtual world" of video games. Many of them have little understanding of real world machinery like cars...many in this age group also like the vette but less than the 30-40 group. This group prefers what most older guys would consider sissy cars like the mini cooper. I actually think these cars are "cute" but would not want to be seen in one ( and I doubt I could get into one and if I did doubt more I could ever get out )
3/ Under 20 guys live in a "virtual world too but are almost completely separated from physical reality. This crowd is playing video games all the time. They think that "driving" a car in a video game is much the same, or identical to, actually driving one. It's doubtful many of them will ever be able to drive a car much less a manual ( which all vettes should have IMO unless the driver is handicapped )

So, I've got two younger generations following me now due to my age. My thoughts above are one reason I have very bad feelings about what the appearance of the C7. I think there is a good chance I'll like is less than the new Camaro which I think is awesomely ugly.

Just my opinions.

Stereotype much??
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
The 20-something crowd I hear from seems to like the Corvette, they just can't afford one yet. And, the Corvette is impractical for many, not exactly a young-family-friendly car. Many young married couples have babies/children and buy minivans or small SUVs. Their sporty cars (if they own one) have a backseat; Camaro, Mustang, WRX, maybe a Mazda or Nissan.

I also hear comments from them that the Corvette needs a new look. I translate that into the C5 & C6 looked similar, so they want to see a new and distinctive Corvette. If Chevrolet gets the C7 right, young people will start saving their pennies.
The 20 something and younger guys I know like the Corvette but it's not a car they'd buy....new ones are too expensive. High School guys often buy used (cheap) imports so that's what they know and that's what they're into. Their love of imports generally carries-over into their 20's. From what I've seen only a small percentage of kids buy a (used) Corvette.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Younger generation? How about Elementary School age? When I drive past the fenced playground of the local Elementary School the kids stop what they are doing and watch me drive by. (@20MPH with the NPP open of course). Kids like the color and sound too.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone loves Corvettes, except for snobs and wannabees.

Get notified of new replies

To What do the younger generation think of the corvette?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
wdavis
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a teenage girl taking pictures of mine in a store parking lot yesterday
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Being the owner of a C6 and an 2011 Camaro SS, I'm disapointed to say the Camaro generates a whole lot more positive attention from all age groups both male and female than the Corvette.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pettvette
Being the owner of a C6 and an 2011 Camaro SS, I'm disapointed to say the Camaro generates a whole lot more positive attention from all age groups both male and female than the Corvette.

I also own a new Camaro and the attention it gets is pretty amazing. It IS the best looking car on the road, IMHO. The C6 is a close second.

Quick Reply: What do the younger generation think of the corvette?